Help needed Front Electronic Module FEM 2002-2005

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi There: We are the original owners of a 2002 Tbird in Thunderbird Blue and she has 27000 original miles and has been pampered her whole life. Recently the air bag light on the dash began flashing and then staying illuminated. I changed out the clock spring and it solved that issue. Unfortunately after I finished the install and hooked the battery up the hi beam lamps will not shut off. Key in, key out, headlamp switch on or off no difference. Let me add the instrument cluster lights have not worked for at least a year and recently the auto lamp feature stopped working. This is pointing me to the FEM being bad. But the only thing stopping me from having it rebuilt is the DTC is showing no codes. Anybody out there in Birdland have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks
See- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ectronic-module-fem-2002-2005.5560/post-35306

I just heard from a person who I'd been corresponding with over these issues. After I told him about United Radio, he contacted them. They also do FEMs. I feel better knowing there is a reliable place to send these things for repair. That the dealers use them is comforting.
I have 2002 that had no instrument lights, sent cluster in for repair they did a "circuit board repair and replace some bulbs" still no instrument lights, now dealer says bad FEM. Called United Radio and gave them part number 1W6T-13B525-AJ and they said they could repair for $215, average 3-5 day turn around. Looks like I will be taking the chance and using them compared to $595 for the other place. Thanks for the information.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have 2002 that had no instrument lights, sent cluster in for repair they did a "circuit board repair and replace some bulbs" still no instrument lights, now dealer says bad FEM. Called United Radio and gave them part number 1W6T-13B525-AJ and they said they could repair for $215, average 3-5 day turn around. Looks like I will be taking the chance and using them compared to $595 for the other place. Thanks for the information.
Do the lights work on your shift indicator? Probably not. The dealership should have known this was the FEM from the beginning based on that too. Never ceases to amaze me how many unnecessary repairs are done at the dealerships. Let us know how long your repair takes at United Radio and it it resolves the problem.

Gus Gutz

Do the lights work on your shift indicator? Probably not. The dealership should have known this was the FEM from the beginning based on that too. Never ceases to amaze me how many unnecessary repairs are done at the dealerships. Let us know how long your repair takes at United Radio and it it resolves the problem.
When I had the FEM issue, I researched the issues here in the forum first. Someone mentioned the ghost in the system and a module that Ford replaced. When my lights went out and I couldn't turn the radio off, I took it to the Ford dealer. They said that they could not find a problem. I asked them to replace the FEM and that is when I started this thread. So just the opposite, I had a Ford dealer that didn't want to fix it until I asked them to replace the FEM all based on the post in this forum.

I thought it was the FEM 4 weeks ago. I specifically asked the dealer Dale James Ford of Apple Creek Ohio, if the technician knew his stuff and was not some "fly by night" mechanic. He specifically stated the guy had been with Ford 30 years and they were "just talking about that the day before". Feeling confident a mechanic with "30 years with Ford" knew what he was doing I gave them the job. Wish I hadn't at this point but it was my 82 year old Dad's car that died in June and we are just trying to get it fixed to sell it. I replaced the brake switch for transmission not coming out of park and no tail lights and recharged the AC. Dealer replaced "restraints module" for constant on airbag light, "repaired" dash cluster for no lights (I can't say it didn't have issues if the repair place said it had bad bulbs), and is now going to replace "FEM", all with only 31,500 original miles on her.

Told him to sell it 3-4 years ago but he sure loved that car for some reason watching it sit in the garage. I am glad he doesn't have to see everything that was wrong with her, probably break his heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
... going to replace "FEM", all with only 31,500 original miles on her.
The car is over 15 years old though. That is why warranties are years or miles, whichever comes first. 15 years is long enough to go from Kindergarten to High school.

Gus Gutz

I thought it was the FEM 4 weeks ago. I specifically asked the dealer Dale James Ford of Apple Creek Ohio, if the technician knew his stuff and was not some "fly by night" mechanic. He specifically stated the guy had been with Ford 30 years and they were "just talking about that the day before". Feeling confident a mechanic with "30 years with Ford" knew what he was doing I gave them the job. Wish I hadn't at this point but it was my 82 year old Dad's car that died in June and we are just trying to get it fixed to sell it. I replaced the brake switch for transmission not coming out of park and no tail lights and recharged the AC. Dealer replaced "restraints module" for constant on airbag light, "repaired" dash cluster for no lights (I can't say it didn't have issues if the repair place said it had bad bulbs), and is now going to replace "FEM", all with only 31,500 original miles on her.

Told him to sell it 3-4 years ago but he sure loved that car for some reason watching it sit in the garage. I am glad he doesn't have to see everything that was wrong with her, probably break his heart.
My Ford dealer said the same thing. They got their 30 year employee guy who said there were no issues. My bad FEM did not throw codes and the problems were intermittent. When they got the car there were no issues. But after the FEM was replaced I never had those issues. I think I had all the symptoms too. The only one I didn't have was the dash lights out. I had all the rest. Power steering, head lights, window drop, radio, wipers, oil light, top, your name it, I had it.

Well the dealer called United Radio and spoke to them about repairing the FEM. They sent the FEM to them, and when they called to check on progress United Radio stated they do not work on them anymore and had already sent it back, what BS! I had called them also and gave them the module number and they said they worked on them.
Anyone have any other ideas for repair/replacement of 2002 FEM?

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Well the dealer called United Radio and spoke to them about repairing the FEM. They sent the FEM to them, and when they called to check on progress United Radio stated they do not work on them anymore and had already sent it back, what BS! I had called them also and gave them the module number and they said they worked on them.
Anyone have any other ideas for repair/replacement of 2002 FEM?
See post #1

Gus Gutz

Inside of the dreaded FEM. I see some sort of corrosion on the capacitors in one of the photos. I wonder if this is part of the problem. I didn't notice that when I had it open, but now I have to go back and look.

MVIMG_20200816_190400.jpg MVIMG_20200816_190430.jpg

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Inside of the dreaded FEM. I see some sort of corrosion on the capacitors in one of the photos. I wonder if this is part of the problem.
Probably. In my experience working in IT, when a computer motherboard goes bad, it's often just a capacitor. That would explain why the repairs are done at a fixed rate, and almost always repaired. During this time period, many computer manufacturers had problems with Chinese capacitors blowing on PC's.

I have a 2002 Tbird with 37,000 miles everything works fine but the steering is VERY tough. I went and purchased the little OBDII tester to see what is wrong. Nothing
is showing up all codes are clear. I thought I might need a FEM unit but no codes indicated that. What are your suggestion? What other things could be wrong? Thank you. Al