Thunderbird Year
I have read most of the posts on this thread and have not seen any mention of the Radio Unit 1W6Z18806BA having to be installed in addition to the FEM Unit (1W6Z14B205AA).
The dealer said I needed both to repair the problems I am having. Dash Lights out, window not going all the way up, door not closing correctly, windshield wipers running when they
feel like it, and now radio is staying on when shutting off car and opening door. I have contacted AutomotiveModules.com, but have not heard back from them yet. Any ideas about the radio unit? Sounds strange to me.
Don

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Dash Lights out, window not going all the way up, door not closing correctly, windshield wipers running when they
feel like it, and now radio is staying on when shutting off car and opening door. I have contacted AutomotiveModules.com, but have not heard back from them yet. Any ideas about the radio unit? Sounds strange to me.
Don

The power windows probably just need to be recalibrated, instructions are in the owner's manual. See https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ase-power-windows-not-working.8363/post-53100

I don't see what the radio has to do with anything. What if it was aftermarket? It's just a victim of circumstances. Fix the FEM first.

Some of the Most Common Problems that are fixed by FEM:
Instrument Illumination Problems (No Dash illumination & Shift indicator)
Headlights issues.
Front Turn Signal Problems.
Window inoperable (driver side).
No Wipers, No Horn.
Convertible. Top
Power Steering Assist.(stiff) Code C1925 .
Also Codes such as :B1342,B1438,B1446,B1676.

Thunderbird Year
Has anyone found that this help the power streering stiffness? All other items work fine like windows ,wipers, turn signal; my streening just started to get very stiff or maybe a better word is harder.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone found that this help the power streering stiffness? All other items work fine like windows ,wipers, turn signal; my streening just started to get very stiff or maybe a better word is harder.
As you can see in the post above yours, that is indeed a problem that is often the FEM. You don't need all the symptoms to need your FEM repaired.

Gus Gutz

Thunderbird Year
I had that problem getting off the freeway. The steering was still in freeway mode, very stiff. Never had the issue again after replacing the FEM.

I had an oil light first and immediately had the oil changed. Two days later that came back. Then the steering thing. I had wipers come on randomly, my driver's window would not drop. My top would not go up and the radio would not shut off. When the headlights went off at 4am, I knew I had to do something.

I searched this forum and someone mentioned the ghost in the system. He had all the symptoms that I had and his fix was a FEM replacement. I was not showing codes and the Ford dealer found no issues. I asked them to replace the FEM and I have not had an issue since

Thunderbird Year
What is/are the best place(s) to send my Front Electronics Module from my 2002 T-Bird for repair. AutomotiveModules.com was mentioned on Thunderbird forum .... Or is it better to buy a new one from a Ford Dealer or try to source one from a scrap yard? Somewhere I read that FEM store data which must be downloaded and then reloaded after repair. How is this done?

Also my one week old battery seems to be draining fast. Automotive Modules web site says battery drain not FeM but Dash instruments. Can anyone give advice on exactly what is going bad.

Is there anyplace I can get a factory (Helm?) repair manual?

Thunderbird Year
bought 2002 in jan 2021 with 25k miles. no cluster lights. sent cluster to eastern elect, no problem found, 40$ diag fee. called united radio, said they repaired fems. sent fem, they sent fem back, said they no longer repair fems. called bob allen ford in ks. they had remanufactured fems for 950$ and 1000 for core. they found manufacture that made original fems for ford and send them core fems for rebuild. found module masters in idaho. sent fem returned in one week, working perfectly for 220$. hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
Well, gents. New here, but will gladly seek wise counsel after the last few months with no car. Battery seemed to be dying, that's fairly normal they only last a couple years. Replaced the battery and things seemed to be better for a few weeks. Then the Radio quit working, odd, but okay we can replace that, not the end of the world.

The dash started occasionally flaking out, but then would "come" back. Then we got stranded on a short day trip, the Bird would crank, but not fire. Well, that was back in March. Towed to a Dealership here in KC for repair as they have worked on this vehicle for many years. They hooked the Tbird up and diagnosed that a "chip" on the dash module was the cause of the troubles. The current shortage of parts and semi-conductors led to a long wait. Well, after they shipped the unit out for repair, not sure where or who repaired, the Bird still sits in their lot. That scenario occurred in May and again in early June. Today we got the sheepish phone call from the repair service manager that the Ford dealership can't fix the Bird. As in, we give up, come get the car. Guessing we no longer sit by and just drive the Bird.

Any similar experiences? Any idea where to start? Can a shade tree guy even replace the FEM, PCU, ECM, or REM without the Ford programming needed?

Anybody here gone down the rabbit hole of pulling some of the computer logic out and going less ECU and more aftermarket?

Last edited by a moderator:

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Well, gents. New here, but will gladly seek wise counsel after the last few months with no car. Battery seemed to be dying, that's fairly normal they only last a couple years. Replaced the battery and things seemed to be better for a few weeks. Then the Radio quit working, odd, but okay we can replace that, not the end of the world.

The dash started occasionally flaking out, but then would "come" back. Then we got stranded on a short day trip, the Bird would crank, but not fire. Well, that was back in March. Towed to a Dealership here in KC for repair as they have worked on this vehicle for many years. They hooked the Tbird up and diagnosed that a "chip" on the dash module was the cause of the troubles. The current shortage of parts and semi-conductors led to a long wait. Well, after they shipped the unit out for repair, not sure where or who repaired, the Bird still sits in their lot. That scenario occurred in May and again in early June. Today we got the sheepish phone call from the repair service manager that the Ford dealership can't fix the Bird. As in, we give up, come get the car. Guessing we no longer sit by and just drive the Bird.

Any similar experiences? Any idea where to start? Can a shade tree guy even replace the FEM, PCU, ECM, or REM without the Ford programming needed?

Anybody here gone down the rabbit hole of pulling some of the computer logic out and going less ECU and more aftermarket?
Define "flaking out dash". If the lights don't work on the dash & your shift indicator, that's normally FEM.

You could also have a bad fuel pump preventing starting. Perhaps your dealership is stumped because you have two problems, not one.

Your dealership is an embarrassment to the Ford Motor Company.

Thunderbird Year
My cluster lights went out a few weeks ago. I have replaced every fuse in the panel that even mentions "cluster" but still nothing. I there some type of module that controls these?

CBBIRD

2005 Steel Blue Tbird
Thunderbird Year
My cluster lights went out a few weeks ago. I have replaced every fuse in the panel that even mentions "cluster" but still nothing. I there some type of module that controls these?
I had the same issue and in January had my FEM module rebuilt and it corrected the problem.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thunderbird Year
View attachment 1515
Our 2002 Torch Red D3 T-bird sleeping..

View attachment 1516
For you southerner's, that's a matching Torch Red Snow blower at the ready

View attachment 1518
Oops, a nipple slip.. :)

The middle of February in Central New York.. We had the ever faithful prognostication from Punxsutawney Phil just 2 weeks ago, again, like clock-work, he saw his shadow on a cloudy snowy day in PA. And predicted 6 more weeks of winter... I think he went Hollywood and the only reason he sees his darn shadow every year is from the beaming 5000 watts Arie Lights that floods the area for cameras... That being said, our T-bird is still nestled in it's sleeping quarters waiting for about the middle of April, when around here, all the sweet rides start to emerge from hibernation, yes, right now we get one day in the 40's and 5 in the 20's.. But the days are getting longer, the sun higher on the horizon, we are getting there.

FYI I tried to post this (above ) from my ipad, but when I upload the photos they were upside-down.. So I tried it again from my computer.. Sorry for the repetition and use of bandwidth.. I just wanted to make it correct.. For some reason whenever I post photos taken with the ipad, they are correct on the ipad but end up upside down when uploaded..
Hello fellow T bird lovers, my first post.
I fell in love with the T bird when I watched American Graffiti years ago. I got my 02 in 2008.
I love this car! So many people appreciate its style, I have a black beauty with some red interior features. This last week I have have had the front end module replaced, my dash cluster lights were out. I have read on line others have had the same problem, total cost 1800. 00
At my local Ford dealer. Glad I found this site.
Looking forward to many pics. Of The coolest car to come off the Ford line. Did you know,
I'm sure you did, I'm kinda late, that the the names hepcat and beaver were the first names purposed for the the great Thunderbird.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
This last week I have have had the front end module replaced, my dash cluster lights were out. I have read on line others have had the same problem, total cost 1800. 00
At my local Ford dealer. Glad I found this site.
Too bad you didn't find it before you went to the dealership! You could have easily removed and send the FEM off for repair and put it back in yourself for less than 500.00, some reporting as little as 200.00.

Thunderbird Year
Where did u get it done for $1200. The dealer in Quincy I’ll. wanted that just for the module another $1000. To download program and 1.7 hours labor.