it seems all connected: the windows wont drop and rise when opening/closing the doors anymore. at first sometimes they would sometimes they wouldn't which is strange .now they dont at all. the horn stopped blowing and then started again, then stopped again. the steering wheel can rise & lower, come toward you but not go back in. the driver side window wont lower even when pushing the button now.. im not going to attempt lowering the ragtop anymore in fear it wont come back up, it was stopping last time i did. The last mechanic i took it to said hydraulic fluid and other fluids were fine. other than that no mechanic wants to touch it, say it would take too many hours to find a diagnosis but they are honest they arent familiar with working on these at all. even at the ford dealership they said their mechanics have no knowledge of these and are only trained on vehicles 2012 and up.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

it seems all connected: the windows wont drop and rise when opening/closing the doors anymore. at first sometimes they would sometimes they wouldn't which is strange .now they dont at all. the horn stopped blowing and then started again, then stopped again. the steering wheel can rise & lower, come toward you but not go back in. the driver side window wont lower even when pushing the button now.. im not going to attempt lowering the ragtop anymore in fear it wont come back up, it was stopping last time i did. The last mechanic i took it to said hydraulic fluid and other fluids were fine. other than that no mechanic wants to touch it, say it would take too many hours to find a diagnosis but they are honest they arent familiar with working on these at all. even at the ford dealership they said their mechanics have no knowledge of these and are only trained on vehicles 2012 and up.
I merged your post with and existing topic that already answers your question. Start reading on page 1.

Did you ever figure out what component failed that caused the dash lights not to work?
No I did not, I did not want to mess up the FEM circuit board, so I sent off for repair, and was quickly repaired, reinstalled
and has worked great for two years plus.

Hello, Sure would appreciate some advice concerning FEM / REM issues. The problem that has appeared on my 2005 T Bird started with the turn signals not working , and the left signal only works in the right position when the parking lights are on ? Also today the headlights came on by themself while sitting with the car off for a Day . Also notice that the four way flashers are also not working. The car just turned 26,000 miles, Thank you for your Help.

Some of the most common problems caused by a defective F.E.M. are:
  • Dash illumination problems (No dash light, no shifter light)
  • Head lights not working: Head lights will not turned on
  • Front turn signal problems
  • Driver’s side window does not drop when the door is open
  • No wipers, no Horn. The oil light is on
  • The convertible top is not working properly
  • Problems with battery drain
  • Power Steering is stiff (Code - C1925)
  • Shift interlock malfunction
Some of the most common problems caused by a defective R.E.M. are:
  • Door locks inoperable
  • Convertible top lower/raise
  • Fuel pump power control, and level signal & sender signal detection
  • Rear stop and turn signals are inoperable
  • Rear parking lights are inoperable
  • Passenger side window concerns
  • High mounted stop lamp is inoperable
  • Rear left and right side lights are inoperable
  • Fuel pump primary circuit fault (Code - P1237)
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Replace the FME module and the battery. All – warning lights flash on and off gauges flash, operating in a non-operating like every 10 seconds. What should I look for? How do I correct it?

Since you had the FEM disconnected, are all of the FEM connectors fully seated in the FEM? If so, start by checking the fuses to make sure that when you replaced the FEM that it didn't cause an open circuit across one of the fuses. Remember, there are 3 fuse boxes in the car, one near the battery by the spare tire, one under the right kick panel inside the car and one under the hood. Next, using a scan tool, not just an OBD code reader, check for faults stored in all control modules. Fault codes might help you determine the cause of your warning lights and gauge concerns. Note any DTCs and freeze frame data that are stored before clearing the fault codes. After clearing the fault codes do the warning lights and gauges operate normally? After clearing the fault codes do any fault codes return?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Doing an update check: Who do you recommend for FEM repair? Mine seems to be on the fritz but differently than many others. I lose speedometer, power steering boost, get faults for ABS and brake function. I can drive the car and when I turn off / turn back on the faults have gone away. Only to return again. I replaced the 7 year old battery in case that was the culprit, but the faults came back. I have not run codes because it doesn't seem likely that all the codes would throw at once and they go away. Any thoughts before I pull out the FEM? thanks in advance.

Doing an update check: Who do you recommend for FEM repair? Mine seems to be on the fritz but differently than many others. I lose speedometer, power steering boost, get faults for ABS and brake function. I can drive the car and when I turn off / turn back on the faults have gone away. Only to return again. I replaced the 7 year old battery in case that was the culprit, but the faults came back. I have not run codes because it doesn't seem likely that all the codes would throw at once and they go away. Any thoughts before I pull out the FEM? thanks in advance.
I have used AutomotiveModules.com for FEM, REM, ECM and Instrument Cluster repairs, but I don’t think a defective FEM is the cause of your speedometer and ABS faults. It’s possible that a defective wheel speed sensor, ABS control module or a defective microprocessor in the instrument cluster is the cause.

The instrument cluster uses a vehicle speed signal from the ABS control module to control the movement of the speedometer pointer. Vehicle speed information is sent to the ABS control module from all four wheel speed sensors, which is then sent to the instrument cluster.

You mentioned that there are faults that return, if you can tell me what those faults are maybe I can help you further.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Module Repair.jpg

The REM receives inputs from the FEM and delivers outputs to a majority of the electronically controlled features which reside primarily in the rear of the vehicle, including the RH power window. Since when you pull the fuse the passenger side window will work normally, that tells me that the problem is most likely with the FEM or the REM. Have you checked for fault codes in the FEM or the REM? Does the passenger window not operate with either window switch?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The driver door window is currently not working at all. Passenger side is working fine. This has been progressively getting worse. On occasion, the window will not move the small space to allow it to get past the top when the door is opened or closed. Yesterday, the window would not work at all but started working after I rolled the passenger side down and back up. Today it will not work at all. I have checked the appropriate fuses and they look okay but I have not actually tested them yet. It seems odd to me that it would work sometimes if the fuse is the problem. Looking for suggestions as I continue to look into this. About a month ago, the convertible top would not close but started working a while later. I am assuming there is a short somewhere but I am not sure where to start looking. Thanks

The driver door window is currently not working at all. Passenger side is working fine. This has been progressively getting worse. On occasion, the window will not move the small space to allow it to get past the top when the door is opened or closed. Yesterday, the window would not work at all but started working after I rolled the passenger side down and back up. Today it will not work at all. I have checked the appropriate fuses and they look okay but I have not actually tested them yet. It seems odd to me that it would work sometimes if the fuse is the problem. Looking for suggestions as I continue to look into this. About a month ago, the convertible top would not close but started working a while later. I am assuming there is a short somewhere but I am not sure where to start looking. Thanks
If the problem is your FEM, get it rebuilt here- https://ebay.us/iBkiek
which currently has 4.9 stars and 2,324 Google reviews on Google.

Link to rebuild- https://ebay.us/iBkiek

At first my headlights were doing morse code. Then when closing the soft top it wouldn't stop, had to pull it back to close, drivers window won't open, radio won't turn off when door opens, and dash won't illuminate.
I had it at a Diagnostic automotive shop for a week or so and they replaced the FEM, that one worked intermittently, its still in there. I took my car back and now I have 2 FEM and 10 months later here I am. Ideas?

Back