Ford Thunderbird Sway Bars & Tie Rods 2002 2003 2004 2005

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Labor Day weekend suspension party. Replacing: Upper Control Arms, Front Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, ,Front Sway Bar Links.... So overall a complete front rebuild. After I finish front, on to the rear.... What a pain.
Anyone know what the easiest way to reach the driver's side back control arm bolt by the master cylinder?
Thanks

t bird susp 1.jpgt bird susp 2.jpgt bird susp 3.jpgt bird susp 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She's been MOOGED!!! I have been able to do everything except:
1. Get the struts taken apart and reassembled- my neighbor is the servicemanager at a shop so he did that. These springs take a lot to compress.
2. Install the new lower ball joints- neighbor to the rescue again... I did remove them with the loaner tool from Auto Zone and bought the accessories kit from Harbor Freight. These will come home tonight and hopefully will have the front suspension completed this weekend along witht the air conditioner recharge...

I have to say, it was a big job but some cursing, plenty of breaks and patience ad it wasn't that bad.... So far! Probably saved a couple of $1000 from dealer price and the sense of accomplishment is awesome. Once put together, I will do the rear which I have already identified some needed parts and have it aligned.

T Bird Moog.jpgtbird susp.jpg

anyone know where I can get the rear sway bar plastic caps that prevents the emergency brake cable from rubbibg on the top stud of the sway bar

anyone know where I can get the rear sway bar plastic caps that prevents the emergency brake cable from rubbibg on the top stud of the sway bar
Don't bother. Take a 2" pc of 1/2" pvc, cut it in half and cut 1/2" in at 90 degrees to that. Put it over t

he ebrake line and hose clamp it in place at a point where the chafe would occur. Check occasionally.
20230516_124020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother. Take a 2" pc of 1/2" pvc, cut it in half and cut 1/2" in at 90 degrees to that. Put it over t

he ebrake line and hose clamp it in place at a point where the chafe would occur. Check occasionally.
View attachment 27646
I have approached this job one piece at a time so you get hi marks for attacking it all at once. I have never done a full suspension job so this way I have learned much and am collecting parts. All 8 control arms will have to be replaced eventually. I may have the shop do that. I went with fully assembled struts with springs for ease of installation and it was easy. Ride is much improved. Every boot needs replacing. Cleaned and greased with a plastic syringe all ball joints and wrapped with tape until I have the new parts on hand. Jacking the car and removing the wheel is not hard and exposes everything. I consider this whole exercise to be interesting and fun. Keep up the good work. Bob

Looking for rear swaybar bushing bracket for 05 bird. No one, including Ford, has them. Any suggestions where to look? Help!

Hey Guys,

I have been having some issues tracking down rear lower control arms for the 2003. Most of them that I find say to 11/17/2002 for the manufacture date. Is there really a difference between the 02 and 03 control arms?

Screenshot_20231214_165804_Edge.jpg

Thank you in advanced!

Luke

Hi All,
Have any of you had suspension repairs done on your TBird? I have 55K miles on my Bird and at 50K the Lincoln dealer noticed that all suspension ball/socket joint boots were split and torn open.

I had forgotten about this and started using a local mechanic but recently looked over all my repair records and realized that I never got this fixed.

It also is troubling to me that the new mechanic never noticed this at all. Also, I recently got all new tires at Costco but not sure if they would have noticed.

I rely completely on my repair shop to check and keep my Bird running safely and efficiently. I am considering going back to the Lincoln dealer to have this fixed. Please advise. I suspect this is going to be expensive but if it needs to be fine, I must do it and do it right.

Any advice ( local mechanic vs dealer for suspension), how much will this cost, etc. ?

Hi All,
Have any of you had suspension repairs done on your TBird? I have 55K miles on my Bird and at 50K the Lincoln dealer noticed that all suspension ball/socket joint boots were split and torn open.

I had forgotten about this and started using a local mechanic but recently looked over all my repair records and realized that I never got this fixed.

It also is troubling to me that the new mechanic never noticed this at all. Also, I recently got all new tires at Costco but not sure if they would have noticed.

I rely completely on my repair shop to check and keep my Bird running safely and efficiently. I am considering going back to the Lincoln dealer to have this fixed. Please advise. I suspect this is going to be expensive but if it needs to be fine, I must do it and do it right.

Any advice ( local mechanic vs dealer for suspension), how much will this cost, etc. ?
I had same issue on 2005 TBird with 33K miles. The bushings deteriorate over time. Any part with a bushing was replaced. Rock Auto had most of the parts but rear lower control arms were hard to find and expensive. However, replacing the bushings in the these rear control arms is very difficult to complete without damaging the control arm, inless someone has found a solution to this. Total cost with local mechanic doing install was about $3,000. Well worth it - drives like a dream.

I was able to install the "2002" version of the lower control arm with no issues on my 2003 if anyone needs to reference this.

I am Interested in buying upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar links for a 2004. Need both left and right for all the above. Especially the rear parts.
email: ecwoodmd at gee mail

Last edited:
Back