Gus Gutz

My lights went off and my drivers window would not go down. The radio would not turn off when the door was opened and the windows do not drop. this happened twice in two days.

I am sure it is the front electronic module. Anyone know what to do and where to take it?

MODERATOR NOTE 2020- We've found a direct source for the FEM's!
You can now purchase a remanufactured FEM directly from a Ford dealer with a 2 year warranty! These FEM’s we are remanufactured by Ford and are covered by the nationwide Ford warranty for 2 years/unlimited mileage. The part numbers listed below are all of the versions of the FEM modules. They all carry a $1200.00 core. When a core is returned they will not refuse to refund the customer's money provided you follow the core return instructions. They do not list all of the part numbers on the site to avoid customer confusion. Since a VIN is required they just provide the correct product to the customer when the linked item is purchased.

1W6Z14B205AA
1W6Z13C788BA
3W6Z14B205AB
6W6Z13C788AB

Used units available on ebay occasionally Part number 1W6Z 14B205 AA -

Get it rebuilt at http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html

MODERATOR UPDATE! We've have had numerous complaints from members who had serious problems when purchasing a new FEM from Philip Wegener Thunderbird Specialties aka Powersport California Custom. See this page for details.
FEM-1.jpg
FEM-2.jpg

Attachments

• FEM-Removal-Instructions.pdf
    440.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
My lights went off and my drivers window would not go down. The radio would not turn off when the door was opened and the windows do not drop. this happened twice in two days.

I am sure it is the front electronic module. Anyone know what to do and where to take it?
Hi,
I have a 2002 T Bird and have the same problem. I went away for three weeks and when I came back my car had all of the above. In addition, the oil light is on. The oil is full and there were no leaks, so my husband (who is going to take care of this) wants to know, is this meaningful? Can the car still be driven to the repair shop (we live on an island!) Any one know? Thanks.

Gus Gutz

I had the oil light problem. When it first happened I went and had an oil change. The module was available from the Ford dealer and I did get to keep the old one. I guess they can be rebuilt. I drove it to work one morning and the lights turned off before I turned off the car. The top would not operate, the drivers window would not work or drop. Even the radio would not shut off after I turned the car off. I unhooked the battery for the day. I took it to the Ford dealer on the way home and they said there were no codes. After replacing the module , I have not noticed anything yet.

I was able to drive the car, but check to make sure you have functioning tail lights.

Thanks, Gus. I will look into this as I need to get it corrected, but hesitated to just take it to a garage and let them have free will to repair. I have been down that road before where they just change parts until they finally correct the problem.
Thanks for the reply, Alan

Gus Gutz

Thanks, Gus. I will look into this as I need to get it corrected, but hesitated to just take it to a garage and let them have free will to repair. I have been down that road before where they just change parts until they finally correct the problem.
Thanks for the reply, Alan
Look for other strange things happening. My wipers would just go off every now and then. My radio did not shut off when the car was turned off. Driver's window would not go up or down and the window drop didn't work. the top would not go up. A couple of times the headlights just went off and of course I would get off the freeway and the steering was still stiff. These were all intermittent. There were no codes in the computer pointing to a bad fem. The ford dealer couldn't find a problem but I had them change the FEM and no problems since.

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, my window down "auto" doesn't work either. I will be checking into the FEM repair it replacement.

Thanks for additional info, Alan
Alan....

I just got my Bird back from Ford for the same window problem. They had do something to reset the window. My problem happened after the battery went South. All is good now.

Look for other strange things happening. My wipers would just go off every now and then. My radio did not shut off when the car was turned off. Driver's window would not go up or down and the window drop didn't work. the top would not go up. A couple of times the headlights just went off and of course I would get off the freeway and the steering was still stiff. These were all intermittent. There were no codes in the computer pointing to a bad fem. The ford dealer couldn't find a problem but I had them change the FEM and no problems since.

Does anyone know what the actual part number is for the Front Electronic Module? THANKS!

Gus Gutz

Thanks, Gus. What was the dealer charge for the FEM replacement & labor? Thank you.
1200.00 but it made all the difference in the world. The part was 700. I know you can find them cheaper but they did all the programming and I have a warranty on the part. All of the strange little problems are gone. I am thinking of having the old one rebuilt and keeping it for a spare

pblach

I am also worried about my 2002 Bird, since the dashboard lights are out and the steering column sometimes does not adjust when I turn on the ignition. I would like to send the Front Electronic Module to AutomotiveModules.com for repairs, but I am not sure I am capable of removing this part from the "Driver side kick Panel." Is this something a novice can tackle to remove and then reinstall?
Many thanks,
Penny Blach, San Diego

Gus Gutz

Kearny Pearson Ford in San Diego replaced mine . I was like you and not sure I had the technical knowledge to take it on. Here is the removal instructions. Kearny Pearson Ford gave me the core. I was thinking of getting it rebuilt as a spare.

Attachments

• fem removal.pdf
    440.3 KB · Views: 0

pblach

Kearny Pearson Ford in San Diego replaced mine . I was like you and not sure I had the technical knowledge to take it on. Here is the removal instructions. Kearny Pearson Ford gave me the core. I was thinking of getting it rebuilt as a spare.

Thanks, Gus for these directions. It looks way over my ability to remove it, so I think I am stuck going to Perry Ford or some other San Diego Ford dealer.

wcoates started a topic Module suppliers/re-manufactuers
Dec 29, 2016, 01:46 PM
Hope we can get input from all those who have had experiences with getting different modules replaced or repaired.

This list is an attempt to put many possibilities in front of users to possibly shorten their search/decision making. None can be construed as a recommendation but rather beginning info from which to investigate.

The following nomenclature list was provided by LA PHIL:
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Restraints Control Module
ABS Control Module
Front Electronic Module
Rear Ambient Lighting Control Unit
Remote Keyless Entry Module
Instrument Cluster Module
Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module

(2018) our friend DavidA just added this as a source:
https://carcomputerexchange.com/ford...d/cat_258.html

this is the one that provided the PCM that got me running again. (Linear also used in January 2017 with favorable results).

http://www.fs1inc.com/
516-766-2723

The following is one Gene (007cruiser) posted and I believe that DavidA either used or found. Think this gent was also referred to me by Ron McCloud. Spoke to him at length and said module had to be sent to him. No shelf stock and might take two or three attempts at the right one. Both Links will get you to the same Company).

http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html
www.ecmdepot.com
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...A1789053F.html

CherokeeMarty

My 2002 developed the problem with the dash instruments and shifter indicator light problem. I had my FEM pulled by the local dealer (Reynols Ford of Norman, OK) and shipped to ecmtogo.com. Once they got the module, they ran a diagnostic test and determined that the #1 pin was the problem. They also told me that they could not fix it. The part number for my original FEM is 1W6T 13B525 AH. The dealer told me that they could get another, but that it did not have the same part number, as that part was no longer available. I authorized the installation of the new module, and it worked perfectly. The new part is numbered 1W6Z 14B205 AA. The dealer had to flash the module with the original FEM program (S154), but it worked. The cost was $900 total, and I was glad to pay it as my car is fixed. ECM To Go was a complete bust.

Happy days!