The headlamps are controlled by the Front Electronic Module and instrument cluster. The headlamp and multifunction switches are hard-wired to the instrument cluster. When the headlamp switch is in any position, the instrument cluster sends a command to the FEM through the communication network. The FEM processes this information and outputs the appropriate command to the headlamps (which are hard-wired to the FEM). This is the same for the low beams, high beams and flash-to-pass position.

To answer your question, both the high and low beams receive voltage from the Central Junction Box. The FEM supplies the ground to complete the circuit and illuminate either the high or low beams.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Headlamp Circuit.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here is where I send my control modules to be rebuilt.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The headlamps are controlled by the Front Electronic Module and instrument cluster. The headlamp and multifunction switches are hard-wired to the instrument cluster. When the headlamp switch is in any position, the instrument cluster sends a command to the FEM through the communication network. The FEM processes this information and outputs the appropriate command to the headlamps (which are hard-wired to the FEM). This is the same for the low beams, high beams and flash-to-pass position.

To answer your question, both the high and low beams receive voltage from the Central Junction Box. The FEM supplies the ground to complete the circuit and illuminate either the high or low beams.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 28975

To test the circuit, is it okay to put a temporarily jumper to ground on the #3 BLK/RED headlight wire to see if the high beam will come on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Davy did you ever find a cure for your problem, it’s sounds exactly what’s going on with my 2004. Any input would be appreciated
thanks Joe Dawson

To test the circuit, is it okay to put a temporarily jumper to ground on the #3 BLK/RED headlight wire to see if the high beam will come on?
Yes, if you back probe terminal #3, BLK/RED headlight wire, and jumper it to ground the high beam should illuminate. Fuse #9 of the Central Junction Box supplies voltage to both the high and low beam headlight bulbs, but you stated that only the low beam bulb had voltage and there wasn't any voltage at the high beam bulb. If that is true than there is an open circuit at the junction point inside the right headlight.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Open Circuit.jpg

2002 no dashlights, shifter indicator lights or lights on steering wheel. Whats the problem?

it seems all connected: the windows wont drop and rise when opening/closing the doors anymore. at first sometimes they would sometimes they wouldn't which is strange .now they dont at all. the horn stopped blowing and then started again, then stopped again. the steering wheel can rise & lower, come toward you but not go back in. the driver side window wont lower even when pushing the button now.. im not going to attempt lowering the ragtop anymore in fear it wont come back up, it was stopping last time i did. The last mechanic i took it to said hydraulic fluid and other fluids were fine. other than that no mechanic wants to touch it, say it would take too many hours to find a diagnosis but they are honest they arent familiar with working on these at all. even at the ford dealership they said their mechanics have no knowledge of these and are only trained on vehicles 2012 and up.

it seems all connected: the windows wont drop and rise when opening/closing the doors anymore. at first sometimes they would sometimes they wouldn't which is strange .now they dont at all. the horn stopped blowing and then started again, then stopped again. the steering wheel can rise & lower, come toward you but not go back in. the driver side window wont lower even when pushing the button now.. im not going to attempt lowering the ragtop anymore in fear it wont come back up, it was stopping last time i did. The last mechanic i took it to said hydraulic fluid and other fluids were fine. other than that no mechanic wants to touch it, say it would take too many hours to find a diagnosis but they are honest they arent familiar with working on these at all. even at the ford dealership they said their mechanics have no knowledge of these and are only trained on vehicles 2012 and up.
I merged your post with and existing topic that already answers your question. Start reading on page 1.

This happens on and off , headlights flicker, then go out, along with tail lights and dashboard-speedo. Turn signal indicator on the dash still works. Super dangerous, as during daytime driving I believe my signals are working..... Problem solves itself eventually, until next time. Where to start troubleshooting?

This happens on and off , headlights flicker, then go out, along with tail lights and dashboard-speedo. Turn signal indicator on the dash still works. Super dangerous, as during daytime driving I believe my signals are working..... Problem solves itself eventually, until next time. Where to start troubleshooting?
Sounds like the issue is on the side of the positive fuse box that is not on the ignition switch. If it was a grounding issue then the whole vehicle would be affected. Also, it seems as though none of the lights that run through the computer are affected. I would be looking for a wiring issue between the battery and fuse box. Turn on the headlights and start jiggling.

Finally pulled the FEM out of my 2002 T Bird parts car where the dash lights do not work.

Here are a front and back photo of the FEM. I really thought there would be more to
this module, but in reality it is quite simple.

Two 1 ohm resistors, quite large most likely for the front turn signal bulbs, and a ohm
bar of .005 ohm, not sure what this one does.

Going to check all 11 transistors to see which one is bad.

Truthfully some of these transistors are not heavy enough for the load they take, may
be why some fail.
View attachment 10224View attachment 10225
Did you ever figure out what component failed that caused the dash lights not to work?

Did you ever figure out what component failed that caused the dash lights not to work?
No I did not, I did not want to mess up the FEM circuit board, so I sent off for repair, and was quickly repaired, reinstalled
and has worked great for two years plus.

No I did not, I did not want to mess up the FEM circuit board, so I sent off for repair, and was quickly repaired, reinstalled
and has worked great for two years plus.
Thanks for the reply. I used to work on stuff like that and it's virtually impossible to find the bad components without a schematic unless there's some physical evidence. I had mine fixed 2 years ago and it's failed again, 5 year guarantee so I'm about to take it out again and send it back.

Thanks for the reply. I used to work on stuff like that and it's virtually impossible to find the bad components without a schematic unless there's some physical evidence. I had mine fixed 2 years ago and it's failed again, 5 year guarantee so I'm about to take it out again and send it back.
People forget solid state electronics do not last forever, especially capacitors, capacitors made in the early 2000s were very prone to failure. For about
30 years I was a certified technician for my Motorola two-way radio store, and also a certified dealer for Panasonic digital phone systems. Do not do any
of that anymore.

Hello, Sure would appreciate some advice concerning FEM / REM issues. The problem that has appeared on my 2005 T Bird started with the turn signals not working , and the left signal only works in the right position when the parking lights are on ? Also today the headlights came on by themself while sitting with the car off for a Day . Also notice that the four way flashers are also not working. The car just turned 26,000 miles, Thank you for your Help.

Some of the most common problems caused by a defective F.E.M. are:
  • Dash illumination problems (No dash light, no shifter light)
  • Head lights not working: Head lights will not turned on
  • Front turn signal problems
  • Driver’s side window does not drop when the door is open
  • No wipers, no Horn. The oil light is on
  • The convertible top is not working properly
  • Problems with battery drain
  • Power Steering is stiff (Code - C1925)
  • Shift interlock malfunction
Some of the most common problems caused by a defective R.E.M. are:
  • Door locks inoperable
  • Convertible top lower/raise
  • Fuel pump power control, and level signal & sender signal detection
  • Rear stop and turn signals are inoperable
  • Rear parking lights are inoperable
  • Passenger side window concerns
  • High mounted stop lamp is inoperable
  • Rear left and right side lights are inoperable
  • Fuel pump primary circuit fault (Code - P1237)
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I'm looking for a schematic of the FEM. I want to try to fix it myself.
I would not try and repair yourself unless you have some very good soldering equipment, and good de-soldering equipment. FEMs are hard to find and
if you damage them in any way the few repair facilities there are will not touch them.

I used to work on Motorola hand held radios and have the soldering equipment to work on them, and even with that I decided not to touch the FEM, I
sent it off for repair which was a wise decision.

Some of the transistors are very hard to find, which is usually what is wrong, and many of the ICs are 40 leg ICs, and very difficult to unsolder the IC
legs, they are very close together.

Back