1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed Front Electronic Module

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Gus Gutz, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Listed but not in stock.

2. I found several lookalike ford sites advertising this FEM module. Called several and listed not in stock. But they would let you order if you just followed the website checkout. Might be a scam.
    HKS

List price for a real FEM is about $860. These sites or selling new non exiting modules for $340.?????

3. Gus Gutz

Gus Gutz Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

according to my Ford Dealer, the FEM is out of stock until mid November.

ChuckH262 likes this.
  4. What do you think of the AES Modules website? Looks like the guy used photo shop to multiply himself by 3.
    Most of the website does not work. FEM not listed. Called and was told, yes they repair FEM.
    http://www.aesmodules.com/

5. I recently developed all the symptoms, erratic wipers, window problems, power steering problems. Found info on this forum and self diagnosed. Contacted Ross at http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html for $220 including postage he had my module repaired and returned with no programming needed in 1 weeks time. Super nice guy, and super helpful. I highly recommend. He also works on other modules for this model.

I tried to find a module initially and found almost impossible to locate and the ones I did find were $800 to $1700. Ford dealer wanted another $300 to install and program.

Ross saved me about $1500!!

steelers12, Mach5, ChuckH262 and 2 others like this.
  6. My sister has an 03 Bird. A few days ago her battery was dead. I put a charger on it and it would not take a charge, so we went to buy another one, installed it and the car started right up. However when I went to get out of the car the marker lights stayed on. We kept on fiddling with it until the lights all the lights went off. I also noticed that the when you turned the car off and removed the key that the chime kept going off, just as if you had left the lights on or left the key in the ign. switch. There was also a beeping sound that would go off from time to time. She tole me that this had happened to once before just a few days earlier. Interior light would not go off, marker lights also would not go off. Again she kept messing with it for about ten minutes turning things on and back off trying to get all the lights off. She bought the car new and had kept the car well maintained. Is there a computer that controls the lighting that could be failing? Light relays? Switches? Any help would be appreciated.

7. Gus Gutz

Sounds like the FEM. Front Electronic Module About 1100.00 at the dealer if they can get one. You can pull it and get it rebuilt for around 300.00.

What you have is one of many issues that can be a symptom of the FEM going bad.

Chelle likes this.
  8. Where is the FEM located? Is it buried or easy to find and remove? Where does one take it to be repaired? Is there a way to test it to confirm that it is bad?

ChuckH262 likes this.
  9. I've owned my 02 T-bird since new and it only has approx. 5000 miles on it and has been garaged since new, never driven in rain or snow. My dash lights and gear shift indicator lights suddenly stopped working, every other light and instrument is working fine. I've taken it to my local mechanic, who has checked all fuses and other possiblilites of the problem and he has determined that it is due to the Front Electronics Module (FEM), which he has removed and sent to a local technician to test, but cannot actually pin-pont the exact reason why it is not functioning. Based on my investigations on this site and others, everything points to a bad FEM as stated, so I am considering having him to send the FEM out to one of the many Module experts that I have sited here and on the internet. I know the FEM is now obsolete from FORD parts (except the special possibility from Thunderbird Specialties working directly with FORD to have this critical control module re-manufactured?)
    Now for my question, I am looking for recommendations on who would be the best and most reliable, from this list:

1) Auto ECM Computer Exchange www.autoecmcomputerexchange.com

2) http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html and or
    www.MidwestTecKmart.com

3) Thunderbird Specialties https://www.thunderbirdspecialties.com

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, before I venture off and decide on my own. Thanks in advance for your help.

10. Gus Gutz

My Ford dealer was able to get the part last year. It was shipped from the Ford distribution center in Rancho Cucamonga CA to San Diego. Call Kearny Pearson Ford's service desk and ask for Tony.

I don't think you would want new old stock. They would have the same problem of going bad just sitting around. Once the capacitors dry out they have to be replaced.

I don't think you will see a lot of love for Thunderbird specialties here. They seem to be more talk and high price than anything else.

The dash lights are just one of the problems. Since you do not drive the car you probably won't notice any of the other issues. I had lots of symptoms before I had the FEM replaced.

steelers12 likes this.
  11. I used mid west tech in Detroit & he was great, he wants to know all ur faults, u have to forward core.
    He has a turn key operation & from my shipment 2 day over Xmas holiday & unit was back in 10 days 100% fixed all calbrated ready to go!! Great job & very knowledgeable in modulles

steelers12 and ChuckH262 like this.
  12. biddle

biddle Forum Moderator Staff Member

13. Two 10mm nuts and one 8mm bolt.
    Service manual has errors.

14. Larry, Is the mid west tech in Detroit that you used for your FEM repair the same as http://www.midwestteckmart.com/ in Allen Park, Michigan 48101 (I think Allen Park is a suburb of Detroit?)?

15. If you are having issues with your Dashboard Lights and Shift Indicator lights not working, I highly recommend sending your FEM to http://www.midwestteckmart.com/ . They worked on my FEM and it was repaired and back to me within less than 10 days and only cost $208 which included the return shipping. Super knowledgeable, honest, and courteous, would do business with them again. Very thankful.

Mach5 and Gus Gutz like this.
  16. Does anyone else have an issue with intermittent headlights, driver side window & Speed control? I understand there’s a harness that is the issue.

17. Gus Gutz

Lights and driver's window are probably the FEM and the speed control is the clock spring. If the air bag light comes on and stays on, that is the clock spring. The FEM controls many things, two of them you mentioned. Probably 2 Grand at the dealer but under 500 if you do it yourself

18. Thanks , seems at first the switch fixed the headlights but just yesterday the rest became an issue

19. Frankly, Chelle, the symptoms you described are the actual test as to good or bad. The FEM is located by your left foot if you are seated in the driver's seat. It's a pain to get at. All I did was have the dealership order part number 1W6Z 14B205 AA, install it and flash it with the original program. It worked like a charm and I've had no trouble since.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!