1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by tbird, Dec 22, 2016.

1. JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

Owned a new 99 Linc Town Car - 2 cop failures and one plug clean in first 3k mi. My 04 T bird had 6 replaced in the 3 yrs the prior owner had it - all FOMOCO for buckoo dinero. Bought it 2 yrs ago - no problem, but an 8pac of cheapies rides in the trunk, just in case. Like ins - you pay prem and hope to never use. I have a coil tester and intend to test one of the new ones, one of these days. Just returned from a 500 mi trip - no problems. 131K on the clock. Sweet ride!

Elaineinwa and tommyc like this.
  2. Thanks, JW -

In that the replacement FoMoCo (Motorcraft) coils (6) have not failed over a five year period, 'suggests that there may be justification for my using the Motorcraft DG 529 replacement coils.

'Interested in experience other owners have had with inexpensive alternatives to Motorcraft...

'Regards,

Silver Bird

3. JW in Dixie

Astute analysis, SB. Good luck.

4. biddle

biddle Forum Moderator Staff Member

No justification at all, these have a lifetime warranty and are 46 bucks for all 8 coils! That's about how much one motorcraft coil costs. Why would you pay 8x as much? Motorcraft warranty is like 1 year. Numerous people have used these in the Lincoln LS and Thunderbird and had good luck unless they had other underlying issues causing the coils to fail.

5. Elaineinwa

Elaineinwa Christmas wash and wax. Gold Donor Lifetime Donor

Based on this , I bought 2 sets of coils and spark plus, as I plan to keep this car as long as my last one (18 years).

6. Hello from Germany,
    I replaced all 8 COPs on my 05 T Bird 2 years ago with Dragon Fire Coils and new NGK standard Spark Plugs,
    3 weeks ago on the Highway during acceleration I lost power and rough engine behaviour,
    code P0356, P2105, P1000, U0300...
    I ordered straight away 8 new COPS (again Dragon Fire), during replacement I found #4 contaminated with corosion/steamed water, Ignitorplug coroded - replaced 8 Cops and #4 Sparkplug but no help,
    it was #6 Sparkplug with no more gap between the electrodes....unbelievable....looks like it was bended together by mechanical force, after this Plug replacement nice smooth engine ops...so not always COPs, this time a 3$ part.... 20181109_215751-01.jpeg IMG-20181110-WA0002.jpg
    regards from Germany , Rudi

7. JW in Dixie

Well, that's a mystery! How did that happen -cam out of sync? Variable cam timing may have burped. Had to be a mechanical force to do that. Rudi, cheers from N Alabama, 29deg F here last night. BRRRRRRR

8. JW in Dixie

After two years of silky smooth operation, I have a misfire on cyl #6. Anyone know which bank is that on? Thx

9. JW in Dixie

2004: #6 COP has failed - anyone know which side that is in? Thx

10. JW in Dixie

My #6 COP went bad so I just installed a new one from the 8 that I bought in 2017 and have been riding in the trunk.
    #6 is on the driver's side - more difficult than the right side due to one screw jammed under the power brake . Fortunately, the Ford house left that one out on the last visit there, so it was about a one-hour job, plus a few minutes to recover tools around the motor and under the car, of course. Recommend a mag pan. FYI, the coil location from driver's seat:
    L -- R
    5 -- 1
    6 -- 2
    7 -- 3
    8 -- 4

Mach5, Elaineinwa and tommyc like this.
  11. Helpful info for quick reference . . . thanks JW!!!

JW in Dixie likes this.
  12. JW in Dixie

You are very welcome. I had feared that job because I am 86 and fumble-fingered due to neuropathy in my fingers.
    Lifelong experience in wrench twisting helped. First motor I rebuilt was a Model A Ford, at age 16. If I can do it anyone can. Cheers, JW

Stans'03 likes this.
  13. JW in Dixie

Intended to remove #6 plug when I replaced the COP, but I forgot. Back was hurting - get 'er done!
    Anyone know what plug socket size is required? Want to have a complete COP/plug tool kit in the trunk. Thx

14. Well, let's see how this goes!
    Experiencing a COPS issue, so I purchased a set of these. http://a.co/d/42Hgf52
    More expensive than some others .... but good detail in the description about their construction that I didn't see in some of the other offerings. Anyway, I took a shot and hope to install this weekend. I'm sure at any rate it will be an improvement, and will post some results. Having wrenched on many other vehicles and motorcycles over time, this will be my first date wrenching on the T-Bird. I've owned it less than a week to date.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  15. JW in Dixie

With your experience it should be a piece of cake. A 1/4" x 8" wobble extension or wobble joint will be needed. Dielectric grease each one. Nimble fingers. Maybe a six pac. Good luck.

Elaineinwa and Stans'03 like this.
  16. Update:
    Coils purchased above, installed tonight - The difference is remarkable. Beyond expectations. OEM original coils had 44K on them. I'm very pleased with the results and just hope they last awhile. Time will tell .......

17. Just joined and wished I knew about this option. I replaced all of mine last year myself, using FoMoCo parts and I spent 20x the amount listed on Amazon :mad: Curious how these hold up / compare to the Motorcrafts I put in...
    p.s. If anyone is intimidated by the work, it's a real piece of cake. I didn't even have to replace the coil cover gaskets.

Elsie and Elaineinwa like this.
  18. Idaho - my car went into limp mode in front of a local Ford dealer that had worked on the car 9 months earlier, so I pulled in there - thinking the problem might be the same thing and the work could be covered by warranty. They keep car a week and finally said it was COPs and they wanted $1400-$1500?? I said I could replace the COPs myself, they weren't happy about that so to throw them a bone I purchased my new COPs through them - Motorcraft COPs - I think they hit me up for around $375. Then a few months later I find this site and find out you can buy em off Ebay or Amazon for $50. Yeah I wasn't too happy either.

19. Elsie, I'll post a "how to" photo essay if I ever have to get in there again for anyone who's intimidated by the repair. I'll rate this work a 2-wrenches skill level (out of five), reserving 1-wrench for the easiest things like tire changes or oil changes.

Elsie and Elaineinwa like this.
  20. Idaho, that would be nice. I looked for a "YouTube" video before I did mine but couldn't find any. Changing the COPs isn't a hard job - you just need a 1/4, 3/8 drive ratchet with a couple of extensions, and a swivel. Hardest part for me is lining up enough lights to make it bright enough for me to see.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!