1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Top 10 Ford Thunderbird Gift List! Click here.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed Front Electronic Module

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Gus Gutz, Oct 3, 2017.

1. I have Canadian T-Bird that requires a FEM to restore lights to instrument cluster and steering wheel lights. Where is it possible to purchase or repair module? Thanks for any help.

2. biddle

biddle Forum Moderator Staff Member

Use the search feature before creating a new thread or the threads that are auto populated as you are creating a new thread. Merged with existing topic.

ChuckH262 likes this.
  3. Anyone have any experience with the guy in Michigan? I did a lot of research on here. Sent my FEM to him on Aug 26, and have not heard back, after leaving messages etc. I am starting to get a little concerned. Any feedback is appreciated.

4. Bark624

Bark624 Well-Known Member Gold Donor

I had a great experience with them. I know they have been swamped with work lately. Seems everyone's FEM is going bad at the same time. I know when I used them the turnaround was 8-10 business days. Now they are saying 12-15 business days. When I called with a question he got right back to me. Good luck, hope it gets worked out!

Frankie the Fink likes this.
  5. Well since I posted my message a few hours ago, I went home for lunch, and the doorbell rang. Module delivered. Now I need to install to see if it took care of my stiff steering issue. Thanks!

biddle, Gus Gutz and Bark624 like this.
  6. Gus Gutz

Gus Gutz Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

Let us know how it goes.

7. Fixed the problem. Power steering works like a dream!

Gus Gutz and Bark624 like this.
  8. Those guys have my instrument cluster out of the '02 right now, I hope I am as lucky. Talked on the phone to them twice and there is definitely a cultural barrier there. Heavy accent and stilted conversation but I think we came to an understanding about payment...

e010740 likes this.
  9. My problem started with the intermittent setting not working on the multi-purpose switch on the steering column. I had it changed in July. Problem came back in September. Mechanic unable to purchase new one. Ford labels it obsolete now. Within days other electrical problems started. No headlights, no wipers at any speed, no windshield washer, driver window inoperable, alarm couldn't be set and the button on the door that opens the trunk stopped working. Also, when the ignition was shut off and the door opened the radio kept playing! For that reason I disconnected the battery. I came back in three hours and reconnected the battery. No change. Same problems. I disconnected the battery again and left it for 36 hours. I reconnected the battery this morning and now everything is working, even the original problem with the intermittent setting on the wipers is now Ok. I left the car with my mechanic with the hope that he can figure out what's causing this. Any ideas? Sorry the post is so long.

10. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  11. Bark624

Bark624 Well-Known Member Gold Donor

I agree, sounds like the FEM going bad.

12. pblach

pblach Active Member Lifetime Donor

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  13. I need help with my Front Electronic Module (FEM) situation. I am not one who is comfortable working on vehicles, so I must rely on an auto service provider to help me with my 2004 T-bird that is experiencing issues that, based on my review of all the related threads here, I am pretty certain is an issue with my Front Electronic Module going bad. So, here are my questions and my specific situation issue:

(1) Reading through all the threads, I am still somewhat confused as to the specific part number I should be asking for that would work to replace the FEM on a 2004 T-bird. Can someone clarify the part number(s) that would reference the specific part I need for my 2004.

(2) I have already contacted two Ford dealerships in the area (Las Vegas) and talked to both parts and service people at dealerships and they don't seem to have any clue about knowing even what the Front Electronic Module is, where it is located, what it would cost to replace one, etc. and this is after I spent extensive time on the phone describing all of the things that I have learned via review of the Forum threads (thanks for that).

(3) What I seemed able to do via talking to one dealership is to confirm that the Ford parts list status has the needed replacement part status as on "indefinite backorder" and the dealership was unable to tell me when it would be available from Ford.

(4) When I talked to the Ford service people I was told that they could perform the service of replacing the bad FEM with a new one, but would NOT do this unless the part was a Ford OEM part.

(5) So, my situation is that I am not skilled enough to remove the part, send it for repair, and put it back in the vehicle. Ford would likely be willing to remove the part for me to send it in, but they won't put a part back in the vehicle that has been repaired by a non-Ford entity. No part is available from Ford.

(6) So, it seems like I have found myself in the midst of an excellent example of a Catch-22. I can'd do the remove and replace work myself and since the part is not available from Ford and the service people refuse to replace FEM with one that came from elsewhere including a Ford FEM that was repaired by someone other than Ford, I am at a lost at what to do next.

(7) I have read conflicting info in the various threads concerning how much reprogramming/resetting is needed when the new FEM is put into the vehicle. I point this out because one possible option would be to go to a local auto service center I have used before that is not a Ford Dealer service center and rely on them to remove the part and replace it after I have sent it to one of the entities that repairs these modules. However, I just don't know if this is something that I could count on a (reliable, highly rated) local auto service center to do. I have not discussed this option with the service center, because I wanted to get feedback from this forum before pursuing this option.

So, if you were in my position, what would you do given the assumption that you, like me, were unable to do this remove and replace work yourself? My wife is getting pretty tired of us having to survive with only one vehicle and it has only been a week since the T-bird starting acting up. So, I know I need to do something soon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

14. This picture should provide the part number you need:
    Capture.PNG
    You can buy a brand new FEM from Thunderbird Specialties for about $1,600 or have yours repaired for about $200...
    It only requires popping a few plastic interior parts off, removing a few bolts and disconnecting the electrical harness from the module to remove it....those instructions are in an earlier post in this thread.

15. Frankie,

If an OEM parts supplier tells me that they have the part, but the part number is 6W6Z-13C788-AB, is that the same as the 3W6T-13B525-AG part that you said was the right part number. I seem to recall seeing an earlier posting in this thread that said that 13C788-AB was the dealer reference number for 13B525-AG.

16. Its not ME saying that, its the top module repair person out of Michigan and that picture is off his web site...I would tend to believe it... If somebody offered me a '03-'05 module withOUT the part number VISIBLE ON THE UNIT ending in AG, I'd do some more homework before forking over big $$$...

17. Which is where the above picture I posted came from..

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!