2002-2005 High mileage Thunderbirds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cbird

Last seen
I've got a medium steel blue 2005, now with 61,000 miles on it. It's been a great, great car, no issues except for recent heater control problem. I've been doing 5000 mile oil changes (almost all miles are highway miles), first with Motorcraft semi-synthetic, but then switched to Motorcraft full synthetic since the 30,000 mile point. I don't consider 61,000 to qualify as "high mileage", knowing that a properly maintained Ford V8 can easily go beyond 300,000 miles (ask any cabbie in his Crown Vic if you don't believe me), but I am wondering if anyone here does have a Thunderbird with a lot of miles on it (say, well over 100,000) and if they have anything to say about how it's doing.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Rick Thomas, at world class wheels in MI, has well over 100,000 miles and I don't think he's had any problems. Where's cbird from?

High Mileage Thunderbirds

My Inspiration Yellow 2002 Bird has 114000 miles I don't know if this classifies as high mileage or not. The only real trouble has been transmittion at 104000 miles. A Dailly driver we go every where in it, and love it. As long as parts are avaikable will keep on keeping on. GBSB

An owner with an '02 in Texas just passed 100,000, relatively problem free:cool:

High Mileage

I guess 54K on an 05 red in Alabama may not qualify for high mileage, but my wife (It's hers, by the way), drives it every single day, so it's really used.
Only a couple of problems that have been documented on the forum.
There is one intriguing thing. When the outside temp. gets below 38 degrees F, the automatic lights don't come on. All the techs we've talked to cannot explain it.

Merry Christmas, everybody.
Jim

We have 93k on ours. Most of the problems have been related to coils and misfires as a result of them going out on a regular basis. Had some replaced under recall...

Otherwise, the only problem is recently with the cooling system. Still trying to sort that one out...

I have to say the car has not had an easy life as the owner/driver is hard on cars. Overall I have to say it has performed well..

Last edited by a moderator:
high mileage

I have a 02 with 94,000 miles, no problems except couple little bubbles on edge of hardtop, under paint. great car. Would love to trade in if there was a 2012. Does anyone have a photo of black bird with a white hard top? Would love to see it....

2003 80000

I have a shadow mountain gray with over 80000. Drove it over 100 miles every day to work and back for 5 years. One main problem was with coils. I think they finally solved it under warranty by stopping the window washer leak. Anther problem was a pinpoint leak in high pressure ac line. Transmission has always been choppy (software?) I do have another problem. Sometimes hot air comes out of my right side when I have the AC on. I stop the car and restart ands it seems to go away. Any thoughts?

Frodo:
Plenty on the hvac with a search above. But here's what a few owners have found:

"Just back from our L/M/F Dealer. Problem is the "Blender Actuator".
After normal usage it resets to 180 (mid-point). after prolonged usage on the same side, ie, either heater or A/C, it does not go back to the mid point, but rather 150, 130, 90, 70, etc.... Therefore next time you ask it do the opposite of your normal usage, it does not start from center. If it is just the first time, it is an easy computer reboot. But repeated failure requires the unit to be pulled and the actuator replaced. FULL WARRANTY :) but time consuming. Luckily for me, I have a good Service Dept, was first for me, but with FL Winter ensuing, they changed the unit for me."
Another owners said: "Mine was the heater control valve. They are changing it today.I have an independent warranty $50 ded. told them to do a flush of the coolent system also as it's 6yrs old with 33K"

So, either of those could be your issue - I hope you have an extended warranty, as these are expensive fixes. Also, BTW, there is a tranny reprogramming that Ford can do for about $80-$100. which usually corrects that choppyness you're getting

Last edited:
I have a 02 with 94,000 miles, no problems except couple little bubbles on edge of hardtop, under paint. great car. Would love to trade in if there was a 2012. Does anyone have a photo of black bird with a white hard top? Would love to see it....

LadyB
I have three pictures of a Black Bird with white top, that you asked to see. However, I have exceeded my limit for attachments so cannot post.
But if you PM me your email address I'll send all three via email.

I've got a medium steel blue 2005, now with 61,000 miles on it. It's been a great, great car, no issues except for recent heater control problem. I've been doing 5000 mile oil changes (almost all miles are highway miles), first with Motorcraft semi-synthetic, but then switched to Motorcraft full synthetic since the 30,000 mile point. I don't consider 61,000 to qualify as "high mileage", knowing that a properly maintained Ford V8 can easily go beyond 300,000 miles (ask any cabbie in his Crown Vic if you don't believe me), but I am wondering if anyone here does have a Thunderbird with a lot of miles on it (say, well over 100,000) and if they have anything to say about how it's doing.
My 04 has 131K on the clock and performs like new. No major motor work - just cops. Synthetic oil every 5K. Cheers

I am wondering if anyone here does have a Thunderbird with a lot of miles on it (say, well over 100,000) and if they have anything to say about how it's doing.
All receipts for the listed items are available for review:

2nd owner, bought in 2012, currently 118,000 miles

New A/C compressor
3 new A/C hose assemblies
New COPS and plugs
Rear suspension parts (bad rubber) replaced
Front suspension parts replaced
Mass Air cleaned
new heated seat switch
replace thermostat
passenger door lock switch and actuator
Rebuilt Transmission
Rebuilt PCM
replaced front Oxygen Sensor
coolant tank replaced
heater valve replaced
Replaced Headlights

Yikes this car is a PIA, but I love her dearly.

My PCH 2004 is a daily driver which I bought 3 years ago with 150,000 miles on the clock. Now as I approach 175,000
it is still in great condition. I once wrote a story for an aircraft magazine about maintaining an airplane which I think also applies to a good car. 1) Do Maintenance, using a good mechanic and good parts as near original as possible and there is no limit to life of machine. 2) Keep it clean, stock and have it detailed once in a while. My repair budget is about $100.00 per month. I have replaced a couple of thermostats, the old fashioned radio and the car could be shown at any auto show around Dallas and I would expect to take home a trophy. If the drive train ever truly dies, I would likely replace it with electric from a wrecked Ford Hybrid but that is a long way off and I only say that because I am a design engineer and it would make a good project.

Purchased a Red 2002 with hardtop & red & black interior last summer with 205000 . Now up to almost 218000. Upsided tires to Michelin 235/55/17 and replaced radiator hose, thermostat & coolant. Everything else checked out good. Previous owner had serviced regularly. Runs smooth & strong, Sounds great & rides & drives smoothly. Also have 2006 Lincoln Mark LT with 237000 and 2004 Town Car with 214000. Have put over 300,000 on 83, 89,.92 & 98Town Cars and 76 Grand Prix that I bought new & still own. SERVICE & UPKEEP & NONABUSIVE Driving, mostly highway.

i have a 2003 with 321000 km or 199000 miles just the usual problems. runs like a top.

I have a 2002 with 144500 miles on it. Over the years, almost every problem people mention this car has had. Like anything else, you have to keep on top of maintenance. Runs, looks, and rides with no problems. just wondering what's going to happen when the parts supply runs out. The 02's are different from the 3's, 4's, and 5's. Many parts are not interchangeable.

I have a 1963 split window Corvette, there must be close to 800 one-year-only parts for it and about 10,000 of these cars were made with maybe a third of that number still running around in original condition. A cottage industry has grown up just supplying the rarer parts for this car. Maybe the retro birds will have the same effect.... However, I like to stockpile "high failure" items; I have a 2002 FEM module, freshly repaired as a spare along with some other items..

i have a 2002 white ford thunderbird and it has 175.5k miles on it and the person who owned it before me took care of that car really good and i believe he had the whole suspensions system redone and customized because it rides really smooth the only problem i had with it was the coolant reservoir broke and my engine started to heat above the second line when i was near my house and it cost me 250 to get it replaced other than that this car has been really reliable and runs amazing also the gas mileage isnt that bad i get about 26-28mpg depends if im on highway or in the city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back