Air Conditioning Troubleshooting A/C Blows hot on one side 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
We're getting a lot of A/C posts on the forum, so I am going to start a thread. I'm not a mechanic, so please feel free to add your suggestions and recommendations for various scenarios. These recommendations below are based upon prior posts on the forum from Ford Thunderbird Owners.

Common Scenarios

- Blows hot on the passenger's side and cold on the driver's side is a frequent one or one side. This is usually the Dual Coolant Control Valve.
Link to order part- http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338236430&icep_item=223309032603
Installation photos here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-dual-coolant-control-valve.6993/post-56530
control-valve.jpg

- Blows Hot on both sides. This can be caused by several things including low refrigerant, bad compressor, etc. The Climate Control Module is also often the culprit. You can either buy a replacement module or there is also a listing for a repair service for the unit. Click here for prices.
s-l1600.jpg

-AC low pressure port location
See below. @312 also posted some good photos on this thread. You can buy Ac Pro 134a refrigerant here which helps seal small gasket leaks.
830_05d9bfd72317b4169dbe5a23f659a805.jpg

If you want to DIY check out this R134a R12 R22 R502 AC A/C Manifold Gauge Set 5FT Colored Hose Air Conditioning
831_93164de4782fa3aef2d995018d3d98ef.jpg
Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/2IyU4gC

2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Compressor Kits- (Purchase on ebay click here) (Purchase on Amazon click here)
compressorkits.jpg

2002-2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird Evaporator Core
Purchase on Amazon.com click here
Purchase on Ebay Click here
evaporator-core-motorcraft-YK214.jpg

2002-2003-2004-2004 Evaporator Discharge Cabin Air Temperature Sensor
Purchase on Ebay Click Here
YH1504-Evaporartor-Sensor.jpg

Last edited:

05Dave

Blowing hot air both sides is also often a failure of the dual coolant control valve. It has just failed on both sides. If the AC clutch is not pulling in, most likely cause of that is low freon charge. This will contribute to the described problem as no AC will be on. I had both issues last fall when we put the car away. Dealer fixed it with no issues.

05Dave

Anyone know where I can get instructions on how to remove and re-install the Climate Control Module on 2005 Thunderbird?
I believe I saw that listed in the Ford service manual. My books are not available to me at the moment. The most common cause of issues with the hvac system is the dual control valve on the bottom of radiator passenger vehicle side. If you follow Fords diagnostic chain, they start with the electronics which is the wrong way to troubleshoot these problems. If getting overtemps on one or both side of the passenger compartment feel the heater hoses. If hot when AC is requested clamp the hose off with vise grips, if problem is corrected, change your dual control valve.
My freon levels were also low, which will affect the operation of the ac compressor. So a full diagnosis should be carried out before pulling the electronics. I find the Ford diagnostics misleading. Verify freon quantity and that compressor is operational, check the heater hose temps, they should not be hot when AC is selected. If heater hoses are not same temp as other rad hoses, select Heat and see if both get hot. Both a failed dual control valve (there are 2 separate valves in the dual control valve) and a failed electronic module will give similar effects.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the fast reply, I had the compressor check at the same time topped off the freon. also changed the Dual Control Valve(that was bad), still same problem. Blows out Cold on the passenger side and hot on the drivers side. In one of these post someone suggested i look into the climate control module.
They recommend that i send to this company in California and they'll update/fix the module for $99.00. They state on their website that when the DCV goes bad it makes the CCM to fail and that one of the symptoms is what i"m experiencing.

Thanks,
Bill

05Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the fast reply, I had the compressor check at the same time topped off the freon. also changed the Dual Control Valve(that was bad), still same problem. Blows out Cold on the passenger side and hot on the drivers side. In one of these post someone suggested i look into the climate control module.
They recommend that i send to this company in California and they'll update/fix the module for $99.00. They state on their website that when the DCV goes bad it makes the CCM to fail and that one of the symptoms is what i"m experiencing.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill,
Yes for sure the electronics will give the same symptoms, Sounds like you have done all the typical issues. I will try to get my to,my books later today and see what I can copy for you. Mine are hard copies located where I cant get to them at the moment as I have a broken leg.

05Dave

Bill,
Yes for sure the electronics will give the same symptoms, Sounds like you have done all the typical issues. I will try to get my to,my books later today and see what I can copy for you. Mine are hard copies located where I cant get to them at the moment as I have a broken leg.
Bill
One more thing you could try is disconnecting the negative post on the battery and leaving it for 15 - 20 minutes. Sometimes letting the systems completely die will reset electronics. GM had a problem with some electronics in the early to mid 2000's and that was the only fix. Disconnect the battery until everything had drained, hook it back up and the car was OK.

05Dave

Bill,
I fell from a ladder at our winter home in the Tuscon area end of January breaking my right femur about mid-point. The repair failed about 3 months later, and 3 weeks after I was advised it was good to walk on normally. It lasted until we arrived back in Canada and I started all over again end of May with complete new surgery, metal parts, etc and broken screws left in, etc. Probably end of September before I can walk again - hopefully. If we can ever fly again, I have lots to set off the metal alarms as I have replacement hips too.
I tried several ways to scan these pages ending up with Adobe on my phone. If you need more info just ask. I have a C5 Vette in AZ and I prefer the GM books as they give better instruction. Trying to scan a 4 inch thick manual is not an easy task. They refer to another section 418-01 is the programming section for a new module, hopefully they send yours back in a condition to just install and operate. If you need that I can post it.
It does not give any guidance on how to remove those dash panels, maybe someone else has done it before. I do not have the parts books, but I have went to the dealer and asked them to print out the parts list which will look similar to the first page but might give more detail on the actual fasteners. I have an interior removal tool kit that I got from Harbor Freight which works well with my Corvette.
Good Luck!

Attachments

Bill,
I fell from a ladder at our winter home in the Tuscon area end of January breaking my right femur about mid-point. The repair failed about 3 months later, and 3 weeks after I was advised it was good to walk on normally. It lasted until we arrived back in Canada and I started all over again end of May with complete new surgery, metal parts, etc and broken screws left in, etc. Probably end of September before I can walk again - hopefully. If we can ever fly again, I have lots to set off the metal alarms as I have replacement hips too.
I tried several ways to scan these pages ending up with Adobe on my phone. If you need more info just ask. I have a C5 Vette in AZ and I prefer the GM books as they give better instruction. Trying to scan a 4 inch thick manual is not an easy task. They refer to another section 418-01 is the programming section for a new module, hopefully they send yours back in a condition to just install and operate. If you need that I can post it.
It does not give any guidance on how to remove those dash panels, maybe someone else has done it before. I do not have the parts books, but I have went to the dealer and asked them to print out the parts list which will look similar to the first page but might give more detail on the actual fasteners. I have an interior removal tool kit that I got from Harbor Freight which works well with my Corvette.
Good Luck!
Hey Dave,
Again thanks for all your help. I am mechanically inclined, but tearing apart a dash is a little scary. My brother fell off his two story house 2 years ago, he's lucky to be alive, Funny you mention you have a C5 Vette, I purchased my 2019 C7 Vette.
Feel better and
Best Regards,
Bill

We're getting a lot of A/C posts on the forum, so I am going to start a thread. I'm not a mechanic, so please feel free to add your suggestions and recommendations for various scenarios. These recommendations below are based upon prior posts on the forum from Ford Thunderbird Owners.

Common Scenarios

- Blows hot on the passenger's side and cold on the driver's side is a frequent one or one side. This is usually the Dual Coolant Control Valve.
Link to order part- http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338236430&icep_item=223309032603
Installation photos here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-dual-coolant-control-valve.6993/post-56530
View attachment 11455

- Blows Hot on both sides. This can be caused by several things including low refrigerant, bad compressor, etc. The Climate Control Module is also often the culprit. You can either buy a replacement module or there is also a listing for a repair service for the unit. Click here for prices.
View attachment 11456

-AC low pressure port location
See below. @312 also posted some good photos on this thread. You can buy Ac Pro 134a refrigerant here which helps seal small gasket leaks.
View attachment 11457

If you want to DIY check out this R134a R12 R22 R502 AC A/C Manifold Gauge Set 5FT Colored Hose Air Conditioning
View attachment 11458
Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/2IyU4gC

2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Compressor Kits- (Purchase on ebay click here) (Purchase on Amazon click here)
View attachment 11459

2002-2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird Evaporator Core
Purchase on Amazon.com click here
Purchase on Ebay Click here
View attachment 12395

2002-2003-2004-2004 Evaporator Discharge Cabin Air Temperature Sensor
Purchase on Ebay Click Here
View attachment 12396
My wife's 2004 started blowing hot air on the driver's side and after reading your forum I pinched the hose on the driver's side solenoid and the air started getting colder. I purchased a new DCV from Advanced Auto for $135 and the problem was resolved. (Note- the DCV from Advance Auto was about 30% lighter than the OEM) About 4 months later it started intermittently blowing hot air again but when she turned the temperature to its lowest setting it started blowing cold air. I pinched the hose on the driver's side solenoid and the air started getting colder I released the clamp from the hose and tapped on the solenoid and the problem cleared.

I returned the DCV under its 1 year warranty assuming the part was bad and replaced it again. It worked perfect for about 3 weeks and now blows hot air out of the passenger side regardless of the climate setting. Again, when I clamp the DRIVERS side hose the hot air stops. There's no change when I clamp the passenger side hose. Should I start looking somewhere else for the problem or is it possible I have another bad DCV? I noticed the link you provided for a replacement DCV is almost a 3rd of what I paid.

I guess I could just pinch both hoses since I live in Florida and tell her to wear a coat when a cold front moves through in the winter.

Thanks,

Ken

I tested the DCV again and I apparently made an error. I corrected my last posting below.

Again, when I clamp the DRIVER passenger side hose the hot air stops. There's no change when I clamp the passenger side hose. Should I start looking somewhere else for the problem or is it possible I have another bad DCV? I noticed the link you provided for a replacement DCV is almost a 3rd of what I paid.

Does anyone know if the solenoids are normally open or closed?