2002-2005 High mileage Thunderbirds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two low mileage Birds, that I enjoy, but in Sept 2019 I bought a black 2002 Bird to keep as parts for my two low
mileage birds. The black Bird has 129925 miles, and runs great. I fixed a few minor items on it, but overall no oil
leaks, smooth transmission, everything works. I think some COPS were replaced by previous owner, no cooling
problems at all, even has original hydraulic fan.

I have over 144500 miles on my 2002 bird. Again, like the two mentioned cars in the above replys. because the previous owners taking care of any things needing attention, my car has never had a serious or expensive repair. It seems the 2002 cars like to be driven.

I have over 144500 miles on my 2002 bird. Again, like the two mentioned cars in the above replys. because the previous owners taking care of any things needing attention, my car has never had a serious or expensive repair. It seems the 2002 cars like to be driven.
As my mechanic told me, use it or lose it!

Overhead camshaft timing chains WILL wear out. So plan on replacing them before the valves it the pistons. Average 130,000 miles.

Overhead camshaft timing chains WILL wear out. So plan on replacing them before the valves it the pistons. Average 130,000 miles.
mine have never been changed i got all of the documents on what the previous owner had fixed on that car like maintenance stuff and i looked threw it there was nothing about the overhead cam shaft timing being replaced but it hasnt had any problems and its runs smoothly and pulls amazingly also to my recent comment when o looked threw it the only thing he didnt do that wasnt maintenance is he actually had the suspension redone and customized

I've got a medium steel blue 2005, now with 61,000 miles on it. It's been a great, great car, no issues except for recent heater control problem. I've been doing 5000 mile oil changes (almost all miles are highway miles), first with Motorcraft semi-synthetic, but then switched to Motorcraft full synthetic since the 30,000 mile point. I don't consider 61,000 to qualify as "high mileage", knowing that a properly maintained Ford V8 can easily go beyond 300,000 miles (ask any cabbie in his Crown Vic if you don't believe me), but I am wondering if anyone here does have a Thunderbird with a lot of miles on it (say, well over 100,000) and if they have anything to say about how it's doing.
I’ve got a 2003, Desert Sky Blue. 129000 miles. Bought it 6 years ago at 86,000. Replaced 1 coil during the first winter, figured I’d do the remaining ones during warmer weather but haven’t yet. Replaced
Thermostat in 2015. Much more complicated than i remember from 1960 & 1970 cars. In September 2019 I replaced some manifold pressure valve/gauge that never affected performance but kept my check engine light twinkling. One set of tires. One set brakes. No trouble getting parts or work done so far.
You should get plenty of use for one with only 61,000!

Just to let cbird know his Thunderbird doesn't have a Ford engine, it's a 3.9 Jaguar engine in his car.

All receipts for the listed items are available for review:

2nd owner, bought in 2012, currently 118,000 miles

New A/C compressor
3 new A/C hose assemblies
New COPS and plugs
Rear suspension parts (bad rubber) replaced
Front suspension parts replaced
Mass Air cleaned
new heated seat switch
replace thermostat
passenger door lock switch and actuator
Rebuilt Transmission
Rebuilt PCM
replaced front Oxygen Sensor
coolant tank replaced
heater valve replaced
Replaced Headlights

Yikes this car is a PIA, but I love her dearly.
What does a transmission rebuild run?

I’ve got a 2003, Desert Sky Blue. 129000 miles. Bought it 6 years ago at 86,000. Replaced 1 coil during the first winter, figured I’d do the remaining ones during warmer weather but haven’t yet. Replaced
Thermostat in 2015. Much more complicated than i remember from 1960 & 1970 cars. In September 2019 I replaced some manifold pressure valve/gauge that never affected performance but kept my check engine light twinkling. One set of tires. One set brakes. No trouble getting parts or work done so far.
You should get plenty of use for one with only 61,000!
Just bought a 2003 with 79000 on it. Changed the oil used synthetic mobil1. Hoping it will run over 100000 miles with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back