I would not try and repair yourself unless you have some very good soldering equipment, and good de-soldering equipment. FEMs are hard to find and
if you damage them in any way the few repair facilities there are will not touch them.

I used to work on Motorola hand held radios and have the soldering equipment to work on them, and even with that I decided not to touch the FEM, I
sent it off for repair which was a wise decision.

Some of the transistors are very hard to find, which is usually what is wrong, and many of the ICs are 40 leg ICs, and very difficult to unsolder the IC
legs, they are very close together.
I have the equipment and thought I'd at least try to trace the problem. I've heard that a bad transistor has been found to be the issue sometimes.

Hello. Hoping someone would be able to pass along some information that could help me locate and identify FEM/REM wires that run from relay board. I was told to check whether or not these have gotten loose/check their voltage before sending out my FEM/REM for repair. Any advice or links to wiring diagrams for my make/model would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What relay board are you referring to, and what seems to be the problem that you think you need to send the FEM or REM out for repairs?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Replace the FME module and the battery. All – warning lights flash on and off gauges flash, operating in a non-operating like every 10 seconds. What should I look for? How do I correct it?

Since you had the FEM disconnected, are all of the FEM connectors fully seated in the FEM? If so, start by checking the fuses to make sure that when you replaced the FEM that it didn't cause an open circuit across one of the fuses. Remember, there are 3 fuse boxes in the car, one near the battery by the spare tire, one under the right kick panel inside the car and one under the hood. Next, using a scan tool, not just an OBD code reader, check for faults stored in all control modules. Fault codes might help you determine the cause of your warning lights and gauge concerns. Note any DTCs and freeze frame data that are stored before clearing the fault codes. After clearing the fault codes do the warning lights and gauges operate normally? After clearing the fault codes do any fault codes return?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Doing an update check: Who do you recommend for FEM repair? Mine seems to be on the fritz but differently than many others. I lose speedometer, power steering boost, get faults for ABS and brake function. I can drive the car and when I turn off / turn back on the faults have gone away. Only to return again. I replaced the 7 year old battery in case that was the culprit, but the faults came back. I have not run codes because it doesn't seem likely that all the codes would throw at once and they go away. Any thoughts before I pull out the FEM? thanks in advance.

Doing an update check: Who do you recommend for FEM repair? Mine seems to be on the fritz but differently than many others. I lose speedometer, power steering boost, get faults for ABS and brake function. I can drive the car and when I turn off / turn back on the faults have gone away. Only to return again. I replaced the 7 year old battery in case that was the culprit, but the faults came back. I have not run codes because it doesn't seem likely that all the codes would throw at once and they go away. Any thoughts before I pull out the FEM? thanks in advance.
I have used AutomotiveModules.com for FEM, REM, ECM and Instrument Cluster repairs, but I don’t think a defective FEM is the cause of your speedometer and ABS faults. It’s possible that a defective wheel speed sensor, ABS control module or a defective microprocessor in the instrument cluster is the cause.

The instrument cluster uses a vehicle speed signal from the ABS control module to control the movement of the speedometer pointer. Vehicle speed information is sent to the ABS control module from all four wheel speed sensors, which is then sent to the instrument cluster.

You mentioned that there are faults that return, if you can tell me what those faults are maybe I can help you further.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Module Repair.jpg

Doug, I see what you mean but I got all the faults at the same time including stiff steering and the speedometer not working. Seems unlikely that they would all happen at the same time and not be from some electrical culprit. I will run codes and see what I can find.

Hello, Sure would appreciate some advice concerning FEM / REM issues. The problem that has appeared on my 2005 T Bird started with the turn signals not working , and the left signal only works in the right position when the parking lights are on ? Also today the headlights came on by themself while sitting with the car off for a Day . Also notice that the four way flashers are also not working. The car just turned 26,000 miles, Thank you for your Help.
Did you ever figure out the lights coming on. My is doing it and I hate to have to keep disconnecting the battery

I recently developed all the symptoms, erratic wipers, window problems, power steering problems. Found info on this forum and self diagnosed. Contacted Ross at http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html for $220 including postage he had my module repaired and returned with no programming needed in 1 weeks time. Super nice guy, and super helpful. I highly recommend. He also works on other modules for this model.

I tried to find a module initially and found almost impossible to locate and the ones I did find were $800 to $1700. Ford dealer wanted another $300 to install and program.

Ross saved me about $1500!!
I'm so grateful for you for posting that link. I talked to them and will send my FEM for them to rebuild. They still only charge $250! Again, thank you, I thought I was going to have to use my beaituful car as a doorstop.

With these modules becoming harder to locate, I wanted to share a good experience I just had having one delivered in less than a week. I lost cluster/shift indicator illumination in my 2002 just over a week ago and my map lights went next. I knew it was just a matter of time until I had more failures and based on knowledge I gained here the FEM was suspect. My preference would have been to use AutomotiveModules for a rebuild, but could not wait given their turnaround timeline. After a lot (and I do mean lot) of research online, I found FEM's available for immediate delivery and these are NOS and not rebuilds. Part date based on label was 12-2017. They still show availability as of this post at: Online Parts Source 2002 FEM Cost is $527.88 after core return which is double a rebuild cost, but if time is short they deliver. Installation was straightforward as outlined in prior posts here and all functions/lights are back up and operational. And as others have noted, no programming is required.

With these modules becoming harder to locate, I wanted to share a good experience I just had having one delivered in less than a week. I lost cluster/shift indicator illumination in my 2002 just over a week ago and my map lights went next. I knew it was just a matter of time until I had more failures and based on knowledge I gained here the FEM was suspect. My preference would have been to use AutomotiveModules for a rebuild, but could not wait given their turnaround timeline. After a lot (and I do mean lot) of research online, I found FEM's available for immediate delivery and these are NOS and not rebuilds. Part date based on label was 12-2017. They still show availability as of this post at: Online Parts Source 2002 FEM Cost is $527.88 after core return which is double a rebuild cost, but if time is short they deliver. Installation was straightforward as outlined in prior posts here and all functions/lights are back up and operational. And as others have noted, no programming is required.
UPDATE: I did want to share one final update on this post as it is an important part of the transaction and based on stories has been problematic with some vendors. The core return refund for the FEM I shipped back was applied back to my credit card the same day they received the core with no prodding from me. That's the way it should work.

Back