Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln LS have a widely known issue with Ignition coils going bad and also fouling out spark plugs causing misfires
. Just by replacing these components, you may be able to bring new life to your engine!

At the time of this post, 59.30 for an entire set of Ignition Coils! Can't beat that! If you have a 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird I would buy these just to have on hand because of the history of these going bad! Don't forget to order 8 spark plugs too because the coils foul them out!

Many people have had success with the coils above, but if you are looking for a brand name check out the Denson and NGK Coils. Click here to buy them on eBay.
NGK.jpgDENSO-Coils.jpg

UPDATE April 2020
Here is the link for the updated part as of 04/2020 that fits better with the valve cover- https://amzn.to/31CezPd previously everyone was ordering parts galaxy which works, but is a tight fit. You can also get NGK and Denso name-brand ignition coils here.

There is a post below with installation instructions- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...hunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/post-35040

Important- You may also have a problem with your cowl seal, wiper seal or valve cover gasket, which is causing the coils to fail! You can read more about that in this post. If you have coils problems after a few days/weeks/months it's likely not the coil, but an additional problem.

What you need to buy
1- Ignition Coils (Amazon Purchase Link)
2- 8 Spark Plugs (Amazon Purchase Link)
3- Dielectric grease (Amazon Purchase Link)
4- Valve Cover Gasket (Amazon Purchase Link) (EBay Purchase Link) (optional but highly recommended while doing the job)
5- If you need the deep & shallow 7mm sockets, here is a pack with both (Amazon Purchase Link) Also, this 1/4" swivel socket will help you get to the one hard to reach. Note: 1/4" drive makes the job easier!
6- This type 7mm wrench will make the job easier

10554_65aac959351008ae6cbab408325cbfe6.jpg

coils.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In stock got a set just to have , still $35.99
In one more month my 2003 will look just like my 1957 will post picture when done.
I know the 2003 is a great looking car BUT the wife of now 50 years won't drive it, she is to use to APS breaks And Backup cameras and power tops. So this will be my Anniversary Gift to her. She will have the best of both worlds

Found these directions online- Use at your own risk! Doesn't hurt to disconnect the battery before starting IMHO.

Step 1: Make sure you have all the right tools handy. A deep well 7 mm socket, a regular 7 mm socket, an extension, a 7 mm open/closed-end wrench, a screwdriver, and a small flashlight.
Step 2: Remove the engine cover. Unscrew the two black plastic slotted screws at the front of the cover and remove them. Pop the front of the cover up and gently push the rear of the cover upwards to remove it from the mounting stems.
Step 3: Identify the coil covers on the right and left sides of the engine. They are secured by six screws. We will work on the passenger's side first.
Step 4: Using a 7mm socket and driver break loose the four screws on the cover. (two at the front, two in the center).
Step 4a: Using a 7 mm spanner, break loose the two screws at the rear of the cover closest to the windshield. The upper one can probably be taken out with a regular socket but I used a spanner and once it was loose I turned it out by hand. The lower one is a pain, but it will come loose once you take a few turns on it with the spanner.
Step 5: Take out the six screws and put them in a safe place and gently remove the cover taking care not to scrape the gasket material.
Step 6: Unclip the connector to the coil pack by squeezing the right rear of the connector and pull it loose. Using your 7 mm socket, unscrew the bolt holding the coil pack in place. Then just pull the coil pack off of the spark plug and remove.... with the bolt unthreaded it will pull up very easily.
Step 7: Put some Dielectric grease around the plug cover of the new coil pack and pop it into place onto the spark plug. For the back ones (hardest to get to), it would be wise to put the 7 mm bolt in place on the new pack before putting the pack over the plug and then hand-thread to get it started.

Then just secure everything back in the reverse order that you took it all off. Make sure you re-connect the clips to the packs before you put the cover back in place. Read this post for some additional cover tightening tips for the aftermarket COPS that are slightly taller.

Cylinders are numbered starting at the passenger side front with number 1. They follow from front to back to number 4 and then start on the driver's side front at number 5 and then back to 8.

STEP4.jpg STEP5.jpg STEP6.jpg STEP7.jpg STEp8.jpg STEP9.jpg STEP10.jpg

I will be ordering me a set of coils for sure. Mine has 76000 miles on it and it runs like new but buying it just a couple months ago I don't know if they have been changed or not, so I will have a set on hand when the time comes ;) Thanks for this information. Now if I can get the convertible soft top pivot arm latch I will be in good shape. Mine is missing and can't lock the top. Good thing is,,I have the hard top too ;)

I purchased a set of these when they were available about two years back, about a year ago we noticed our 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster have a hesitation while running, not smooth. took it down to our mechanic of many years and had him install eight of these coils and WOW, running like the CAT it should be. Just ordered another set as this was the second time in the 10 years of owning our Jag that we have had to address the COPs issue. I would for sure nab a set or two of these!

Well my '05 with 102,000 just started to miss every now and then and also when I give it the gas. I am thinking I have developed the COP problem so I plan on replacing the ignition coils this weekend and see if that resolves the issue. I do plan on going to Amazon and getting the coil set you indicated above as well as new NGK plugs plus some dielectric grease. Anything else I should do while I am under the hood? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Mike

Well my '05 with 102,000 just started to miss every now and then and also when I give it the gas. I am thinking I have developed the COP problem so I plan on replacing the ignition coils this weekend and see if that resolves the issue. I do plan on going to Amazon and getting the coil set you indicated above as well as new NGK plugs plus some dielectric grease. Anything else I should do while I am under the hood? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Mike

If you replace the COP and Plugs you will be good! I bet you will notice a big difference in response!

Make sure ALL the little bolts/screws go back in on those cover plates and put some new silicon around the wire harness that comes out the back. I found 3 screws missing on mine - no-doubt from a previous "professional mechanic" who felt they were not worth his time tom put back on. The problem is that if that cover is not sealed, you will get water and dirt down inside there which accumulates around plugs and then causes the COP to fail again.

I just bought my 2002 bird this fall my mechanic said the one on the second bank went bad because of a small oil leak in the valve cover gasket. so I had him replace plugs and both gaskets.He said that will take care of it.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: 312
2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln LS have a widely known issue with Ignition coils going bad and also fouling out spark plugs causing misfires
. Just by replacing these components you may be able to bring new life to your engine!

At the time of this post, 42.99 for an entire set of Ignition Coils! Can't beat that! If you have a 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird I would buy these just to have on hand because of the history of these going bad! Don't forget to order 8 spark plugs too because the coils foul them out!

Here is the link http://amzn.to/2ilnIo3

There is a post here on how to replace or here.

View attachment 673
View attachment 1351
Thanks. I replaced them. Runs new $47.00 for 8 coils and 8 plugs from NGK.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: 312
. Just by replacing these components you may be able to bring new life to your engine!

At the time of this post, 42.99 for an entire set of Ignition Coils! Can't beat that! If you have a 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird I would buy these just to have on hand because of the history of these going bad! Don't forget to order 8 spark plugs too because the coils foul them out!

Here is the link http://amzn.to/2ilnIo3

There is a post here on how to replace or here.

View attachment 673
View attachment 1351
I'm new to this forum. Have several questions about the COP problem. I read somewhere that Ford has "customer satsfaction" extended warranty for COPs on 2003-2005. Is this true? Why didn't they include 2002? (I'm considering purchase of a 2002 now.) Is the aftermarket COP sold thru Amazon more reliable than original Ford part? Is there a specific spark plug brand and model number to use when replacing COPs? Appreciate your patience with this newbie.

I have learned something from changing COPs. If your Bird is running very rough and throwing codes after changing COPs and you had to move the fuel rail or anything else, make absolutely sure that you didn't pinch ANY wiring when putting everything back. I change the COPs on my Expedition by myself, but when it came to the Bird, I got some help from my neighbor who is a BMW mechanic and he accidentally pinched one of the fuel injector leads to the block (when putting everything back) putting put a Ground on that cylinder fuel injector so it was dumping fuel into that cylinder non-stop.

Wish I knew about these COPs off of amazon. 2 years and less than 7500 miles ago I changed my coils and used Motorcraft - over $400 for a set of 8. 5 or 6 were easy the last 2 were a butch. Has anyone had to replace theirs more than once?

Wish I knew about these COPs off of amazon. 2 years and less than 7500 miles ago I changed my coils and used Motorcraft - over $400 for a set of 8. 5 or 6 were easy the last 2 were a butch. Has anyone had to replace theirs more than once?

Yes. Many things can shorten the working life of COPs due to their high voltage output. They can just become weak IE not make it to the stated mileage mark. They can develop condensation or moisture in the boot and start arcing (use more dielectric then you think you need when installing new boots. And many other issues. There are things one can do to help, keep your Bird garaged, only drive on sunny days, don't "steam" clean or pressure wash your engine, have your head gasket replace, etc. Some of these things and other we can do, but in the end, it is a car and everybody can't keep it garaged or only drive when it is sunny!

I was losing COPs to often and it turned out to be the valve cover gasket leaking oil. Had the valve cover gasket changed and haven't lost a COP since.

Back