Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

Angry Bird

Angry Bird's 64'
I ordered two sets one for my 02 T-Bird and for our 02 Lincoln L.S. (Not needed yet) still running on originals 118,000 miles.

The Bird is on it's third set, (64,000 miles), but I always replaced all 8. I bought mine through E-bay which asks for the Yr. Make and model so they come correct for the cars. (Ford, Lincoln and 4.0 Ltr. Jaguar X type) are the same coil pack units BTW). $58.00 U.S. Cheap by comparison if you can find them in Canada at all.

I took mine to my local wrench turner and it was done in 20 minutes. If you get Pontiac G8 coils won't work of course.

Many cars use this type of COP system, but they are model specific. So if you get Pontiac G8 coils they won't work.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't gone through the thread yet, but I see on ebay that some of the coil sets cost hundreds of dollars while those you recommended on Amazon are quite reasonable. Any opinion to why that is? :D
Does matter? The cheaper ones have good reviews and numerous members have bought them. Most of this stuff is made in China anyway, so why pay an arm and a leg?

2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln LS have a widely known issue with Ignition coils going bad and also fouling out spark plugs causing misfires
. Just by replacing these components, you may be able to bring new life to your engine!

At the time of this post, 59.30 for an entire set of Ignition Coils! Can't beat that! If you have a 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird I would buy these just to have on hand because of the history of these going bad! Don't forget to order 8 spark plugs too because the coils foul them out!

UPDATE April 2020
Here is the link for the updated part as of 04/2020 that fits better with the valve cover- https://amzn.to/2RaLkj2 previously everyone was ordering parts galaxy which works, but is a tight fit. https://amzn.to/31CezPd

There is a post here on how to replace or here.

Important- You may also have a problem with your cowl seal, wiper seal etc, which is causing the coils to fail! You can read more about that in this post. If you have coils problems after a few days/weeks/months it's likely not the coil, but an additional problem.

View attachment 10794

View attachment 673
Zjus

Just replaced all my coils.

JW in Dixie

Does anyone else think that having the cover on the valve cover creates an oven environment for the coils? If the cover was left off wouldn't that reduce the heat? Just thinking outside the box...
That's a good thought - the failures - and I've owned two towncars and this 2004 Bird- seem random and one at a time, so I don't think it is heat, although heat sure is detrimental. I have a coil tester and while running a test I add heat from a hair dryer to speed the process. Yes, as temp rises failure begins

Just traveled 900 miles with a buddy in a Navigator with a sometimes missing cop or spark plug. Told him about the pkg on Amazon and made his day! :) Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I have replaced all the coils three times on my 2004 since new and it only has 30,000 miles on it.

I paid about $130 at Auto Zone for replacement which have a lifetime warranty, so the second and third set were free, but time consuming changing them. If I was not good with a wrench the Bird would have been sold.

My a/c has a problem, only heat emitting, so I just bought a temp control valve for $45 on EBay.

My radio volume control went defective along with the CD player so I bought a Pioneer to replace it.

I only have 30,000 miles on this car which is just a stylish Lincoln LS which sells for less than 1/2 the price of my Bird, so in my opinion Ford made a lemon when it gave birth to the 2002-2005 Bird.

Korea makes a better car with a much longer warranty. I’ll never buy a Ford product again.

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
only has 30,000 miles on it.

I only have 30,000 miles on this car

in my opinion, Ford made a lemon when it gave birth to the 2002-2005 Bird.

Korea makes a better car with a much longer warranty. I’ll never buy a Ford product again.
These posts always crack me up! I noticed you are hyperfocused on the low mileage of your car. You do realize your car is 18 years old? You don't have to drive something for it to age/deteriorate. As a matter of fact, many parts go bad from lack of use.

In general, a classic car is any vehicle older than 15 years while an antique is more than 25 years old. Your car is almost 2 decades old. My girlfriend has a low milage 2004 Jeep that has a leak in the Evaporator that is newer than your car. Am I supposed to never buy a Jeep again because a 16-year-old part is bad?

Ford didn't make the radio, they likely bought it from China or South Korea.

So your 18-year-old car requires some maintenance and repairs, so you're never buying another Ford again? SMH! I sold cars, and ALL CARS HAVE problems! Even the once "reliable" cars like Toyota/Honda have lots of issues.

Noted that this is your first post as well.

I do believe cars give trouble depending on age, miles, and how stored. My T Birds have always been stored in a climate
controlled garage, also have never driven them on long trips, all short 35 miles or less. I have had no real issues, with
anything except the suspension rotting away, which I believe is a Ford issue. My everyday cars are also parked in climate
controlled garage, but they are much newer.

Both of my T Birds look close to new, and everything works. All of this makes me wonder if the cars have issues
depending on how stored, driven, miles, weather, and so on.

Both of my T Birds could not have been made on good days, so much of the above must be true. Both of mine are
2002 year, so will be 18 years old this fall.

Both of my cars have original coolant, trans fluid, and spare tires, which are not cracked, and have not exploded. I keep
spares tires inflated to 23 lbs, and have a air compressor in trunk when needed.

Hope my luck holds out.

JW in Dixie

I have replaced all the coils three times on my 2004 since new and it only has 30,000 miles on it.
I paid about $130 at Auto Zone for replacement which have a lifetime warranty, so the second and third set were free, but time consuming changing them. If I was not good with a wrench the Bird would have been sold.
My a/c has a problem, only heat emitting, so I just bought a temp control valve for $45 on EBay.
My radio volume control went defective along with the CD player so I bought a Pioneer to replace it.
I only have 30,000 miles on this car which is just a stylish Lincoln LS which sells for less than 1/2 the price of my Bird, so in my opinion Ford made a lemon when it gave birth to the 2002-2005 Bird.
I bought my 2004 for style and class, not for gas mileage. My vol control is erratic, but the wheel controls work fine so I just don't use the knob.
I know COPs fail and I live with it. Not that hard to change. With care and maintenance I'm hoping to drive it a thou or 2 miles a year for the rest of my life.
I'm 88 and the bird has 132,000 miles on it, so far. Runs and drives great. I'm happy. Cheers :)