Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

Both should be available online, start with Amazon. It's amazing what they have for our 'Birds. It's a design flaw, most common in the '03-'05 models after the engine reconfiguration. I don't think most owners have the problem again after making the initial necessary repairs, though some might disagree.
Thank you very much.

Have oil in 4 of my 2002 spark plug wells 2 on each side of motor. Car has 62000 miles just changed cop and plugs got as much oil out as possible with screwdriver and rag. Their are no leaks I can see from valve covers on outside of motor. Any ideas for cause and cure for oil in plug well

FANZ

50th anniversary torch red
Had my 05 over to my mechanic to replace 8 COILS and 8 plugs yesterday...went well..runs great.......didn’t have ny issues bit figured better save then sorry ,,,,,,.i used the amazin ones and they went on fine. Did a transmission fluid change even though I have 47 k on it......love my Bird..

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I thought I read there was a problem with the length of these coils preventing them from seating properly.
Hundreds of people have put them in over the past two years without issues. It's a tight fit. Most of the people with issues were probably doing something wrong or gave up too easily. One guy took his to the mechanic who installed them without any issues.

2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln LS have a widely known issue with Ignition coils going bad and also fouling out spark plugs causing misfires
. Just by replacing these components you may be able to bring new life to your engine!

At the time of this post, 39.99 for an entire set of Ignition Coils! Can't beat that! If you have a 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird I would buy these just to have on hand because of the history of these going bad! Don't forget to order 8 spark plugs too because the coils foul them out!

Here is the link https://amzn.to/31CezPd

There is a post here on how to replace or here.

Important- You may also have a problem with your cowl seal, wiper seal etc, which is causing the coils to fail! You can read more about that in this post.

View attachment 673
View attachment 1351
I purchased these coils and brought them to mechanic this morning to install with new plugs. He called to say they were too tall and valve covers would not fit. I‘m curious, as others surely experienced this same issue, how was it resolved?

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I purchased these coils and brought them to mechanic this morning to install with new plugs. He called to say they were too tall and valve covers would not fit. I‘m curious, as others surely experienced this same issue, how was it resolved?
Assuming you bought the correct coils, you need a new mechanic. Are these taller than factory? Yes, slightly about 1/8". Can someone with experience get the valve cover back on? Yes. I would show the mechanic the Amazon reviews as well as numerous people who have used these and posted on this thread. Too many people have installed them successfully for them not to fit. If at first you do not succeed, try try again. This is a 15+ year old car, everything isn't necessarily going to work like brand new!

Last edited:
Assuming you bought the correct coils, you need a new mechanic. Are these taller than factory? Yes, slightly about 1/8". Can someone with experience get the valve cover back on? Yes. I would show the mechanic the Amazon reviews as well as numerous people who have used these and posted on this thread. Too many people have installed them successfully for them not to fit. If at first you do not succeed, try try again. This is a 15+ year old car, everything isn't necessarily going to work like brand new!
I told mechanic they’d been successfully installed by other owners but he didn’t want to install them so I returned them to Amazon for refund and purchased Denso units on Ebay for 10x the others cost, but $100 less than Motorcraft ones he suggested I purchase. Thanks for your feedback!

JW in Dixie

I told mechanic they’d been successfully installed by other owners but he didn’t want to install them so I returned them to Amazon for refund and purchased Denso units on Ebay for 10x the others cost, but $100 less than Motorcraft ones he suggested I purchase. Thanks for your feedback!
Strange, the Amazon set I bought fit fine. Don't understand. I would caliper both and see where the diff is and then adjust with a Dremmel tool, etc. That's just me, I'm not cheap - I'm thrifty. :)

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Strange, the Amazon set I bought fit fine. Don't understand. I would caliper both and see where the diff is and then adjust with a Dremmel tool, etc. That's just me, I'm not cheap - I'm thrifty. :)
The mechanic/shop also typically 30%-50% profit off the parts they sell, which obviously is an incentive for the parts you buy and supply to conveniently not work.

Here's a link and picture from when I replaced mine two years ago. These were the "Parts Galaxy" replacements ordered from Amazon. I'm not sure if the current "recommended" ones from Amazon are exactly the same, but I gather they are. I got the cover on by alternating the tightening of the screws on both sides. I also laid on a light bead of Permatex black to help with the seal. No problems since.

Mach5

2004 Merlot
Here's a link and picture from when I replaced mine two years ago. These were the "Parts Galaxy" replacements ordered from Amazon. I'm not sure if the current "recommended" ones from Amazon are exactly the same, but I gather they are. I got the cover on by alternating the tightening of the screws on both sides. I also laid on a light bead of Permatex black to help with the seal. No problems since.

I did the same as @tommyc, only without the Permatex. No problems. I would look for a new mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Bird

Angry Bird's 64'
I ordered two sets one for my 02 T-Bird and for our 02 Lincoln L.S. (Not needed yet) still running on originals 118,000 miles.

The Bird is on it's third set, (64,000 miles), but I always replaced all 8. I bought mine through E-bay which asks for the Yr. Make and model so they come correct for the cars. (Ford, Lincoln and 4.0 Ltr. Jaguar X type) are the same coil pack units BTW). $58.00 U.S. Cheap by comparison if you can find them in Canada at all.

I took mine to my local wrench turner and it was done in 20 minutes. If you get Pontiac G8 coils won't work of course.

Many cars use this type of COP system, but they are model specific. So if you get Pontiac G8 coils they won't work.