Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

ChairMan

Enjoying a nice country drive on a beautiful Saturday morning a few weeks ago when the dreaded check engine light followed by the wrench light illuminated. Car went into limp mode and I drove the remaining 5 miles home at about 30mph with flashers going. Car coded with P2110 & P2107, Throttle Actuator control System & Throttle Actuator Control Module Control Processor. After much research on this great forum, I highly doubted this was the problem. Took the car to my local mechanic shop (great trustworthy guys) twice I left it for several days. They took it for several test drives and couldn’t get it to code! The good news is they didn’t charge me anything but recommend a dealer that certainly would know the idiosyncrasies of a T-Bird. (NOT)

Long story short my neighbor and I replaced the COPS with the set I bought (Parts Galaxy) shortly after buying this car and reading the forum. Also installed new Autolite Iridium spark plugs. This was a one owner vehicle with 33k on the odometer when I purchased it a couple years ago. It now has 35k! The really interesting part of this job was that the passenger side had 4 different brand spark plugs!! The COPS appeared to be 4 different generations as well! Ya Think there may have been some previous COP opportunities! Took the car on a beautiful 1 1/2 hour country ride this morning and the car runs better that when I bought it!! No check engine light!! . BTW, already ordered another set of COPS from Amazon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a diagram for the location # of each ignition coil for the 2002 Tbird ??

The engine light came on and the code reads "P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected". They sold me an ignition coil to be replaced.

Any details on the #2 position and how to change it ??

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Is there a diagram for the location # of each ignition coil for the 2002 Tbird ??

The engine light came on and the code reads "P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire detected". They sold me an ignition coil to be replaced.

A whole set is 40 bucks, why not just change them all out and the spark plugs while you have everything apart? Car will run better.

Here's an old post showing positions and firing order.

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/cops-code.3566/#post-26000

If you already bought one COP, swap it and see if it helps. If not, take mod's advice and swap them all. It's affordable.

I've heard of them dropping things down into the engine and damaging it. That's why I do as much of my own work as possible. I have friends that have worked in car dealers, and a lot of the people that work there are big time losers!
It was in 2012 when our 2005 Thunderbird with approx. 30k miles developed an engine miss. Unable to diagnose the problem myself, we took it to our local Ford dealer. Next day received a call from them telling me all ignitors needed to be replaced and my cost would be $ 1200.00. I felt I had no choice and approved the work. Paid the bill and picked up the car. Car ran fine. The next day something told me to check the books in the glove box for a letter from Ford. Sure enough, this repair should have been covered under warranty. Upon returning to the dealership, the service manager reluctantly refunded the money. I am convinced they were double dipping. Beware of dealership service, they are not all honest.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Beware of dealership service, they are not all honest.
I don't bother going to the dealer. The service advisors here locally rip people off. I have a friend that worked in the service department. They make commissions off it, so it's inherently a conflict of interest.

JW in Dixie

Local Toyota dlr has a dozen svc reps early mornings to take orders. 05 Matrix had several factory recalls for leak in fuel system. All cov by recall. Finally replaced the fume accumulation can (plastic) and charged me $220. Week later eng lite on again. Back to dlr who replaced the gas cap free. No further problem. Asked for my $$ back and thy maintained that the can was bad - too bad that I didn't inspect it or ask for it back. Never go to dlrs except for free recalls!! Crooks. Buddy 's xmission not shifting right after vis to dlr for something else. Drove to independent shop who removed the Irish potato stuck in the vac tube that allows shifting to high gear. No charge, BTW. Be forewarned!

I just joined the forum because I ordered the coils from Amazon and want to share my experience from start to finish.

First, a bit about the problem. I've owned a 2004 Ford Thunderbird for about 14 years. I rarely drive it as its my "fun" car. Over the years I've repeatedly had problems with misfires and running extremely rough. In the past I've taken it to several shops in the area and they would fix it and it would run fine for a short while (around 2,000 to 3,000 miles) then the problem would reappear.

This time, I decided to figure it out for myself. I purchase an engine analyzer program for my laptop and diagnosed a misfire on cylinder #5 (front driver side). I switched the #1 and #5 coils and, sure enough, the misfire moved to cylinder #1.

I was going to order from Autozone ($53 for one coil, $253 for a set of 8) until I saw this thread. I'm going to replace the #1 coil and see what happens. To be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I just joined the forum because I ordered the coils from Amazon and want to share my experience from start to finish.

First, a bit about the problem. I've owned a 2004 Ford Thunderbird for about 14 years. I rarely drive it as its my "fun" car. Over the years I've repeatedly had problems with misfires and running extremely rough. In the past I've taken it to several shops in the area and they would fix it and it would run fine for a short while (around 2,000 to 3,000 miles) then the problem would reappear.

This time, I decided to figure it out for myself. I purchase an engine analyzer program for my laptop and diagnosed a misfire on cylinder #5 (front driver side). I switched the #1 and #5 coils and, sure enough, the misfire moved to cylinder #1.

I was going to order from Autozone ($53 for one coil, $253 for a set of 8) until I saw this thread. I'm going to replace the #1 coil and see what happens. To be continued.
Make sure you read this thread too about the seals- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/top-issue-02-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/page-5#post-38169

Doesn't apply.
As I noted
No signs of oil or water under covers. (or around any of the plugs)
They are so clean you could do surgery on them.

Also engine has never been washed.

Still looking for answers.
I think this might be a sensor problem of some type.
I get a check engine light and when I plug in scanner , it shows the same COP being bad.
In the past, I have changed that one COP about six times and the last time replaced all the COPs and plugs.
As before, after about 400-500 miles get check engine light again with same code.

This time I just reset and cleared check engine code.
The miss goes away and car runs fine for about 400-500 miles and then happens again, then reset ode and runs fine again.
If COP was really bad it should start to miss right away and not 500 miles later.

Anyone have any idea of what may be the cause?

JMac4506

It's best to just bite the bullet and fo them all at once!
Had cyl 2 misfire...
Week late cyl 3...
So replace 1-4 ( passenger side)
Couple months later cyl 5..
Read posts about "how difficult driver's side is.."
Hogwash!
Packs 5-8 are just as easy if you get a flexible 3/8" extension and a magnetic plug socket.
Took me about an hour per side.

Shanman

2002 thunderbird

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery before beginning the cop replacement? I haven't seen that step listed in the step by steps I've read. Granted I haven't read them all.

One of mine went bad late last year and I purchased 8 through a t-bird web site. Paid less then $400. and did the job myself with new plugs. Have the shop manual and it took me a few hours for each side and the car runs better then ever. I never figured out which one was bad so I have all the old one in the trunk. One of these days I'll figure out how to test them. The ones I purchased are supposedly guaranteed for life, at least that's what I was told. I saved quite a few dollars doing it myself........