Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

JW in Dixie

Local Toyota dlr has a dozen svc reps early mornings to take orders. 05 Matrix had several factory recalls for leak in fuel system. All cov by recall. Finally replaced the fume accumulation can (plastic) and charged me $220. Week later eng lite on again. Back to dlr who replaced the gas cap free. No further problem. Asked for my $$ back and thy maintained that the can was bad - too bad that I didn't inspect it or ask for it back. Never go to dlrs except for free recalls!! Crooks. Buddy 's xmission not shifting right after vis to dlr for something else. Drove to independent shop who removed the Irish potato stuck in the vac tube that allows shifting to high gear. No charge, BTW. Be forewarned!

I just joined the forum because I ordered the coils from Amazon and want to share my experience from start to finish.

First, a bit about the problem. I've owned a 2004 Ford Thunderbird for about 14 years. I rarely drive it as its my "fun" car. Over the years I've repeatedly had problems with misfires and running extremely rough. In the past I've taken it to several shops in the area and they would fix it and it would run fine for a short while (around 2,000 to 3,000 miles) then the problem would reappear.

This time, I decided to figure it out for myself. I purchase an engine analyzer program for my laptop and diagnosed a misfire on cylinder #5 (front driver side). I switched the #1 and #5 coils and, sure enough, the misfire moved to cylinder #1.

I was going to order from Autozone ($53 for one coil, $253 for a set of 8) until I saw this thread. I'm going to replace the #1 coil and see what happens. To be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I just joined the forum because I ordered the coils from Amazon and want to share my experience from start to finish.

First, a bit about the problem. I've owned a 2004 Ford Thunderbird for about 14 years. I rarely drive it as its my "fun" car. Over the years I've repeatedly had problems with misfires and running extremely rough. In the past I've taken it to several shops in the area and they would fix it and it would run fine for a short while (around 2,000 to 3,000 miles) then the problem would reappear.

This time, I decided to figure it out for myself. I purchase an engine analyzer program for my laptop and diagnosed a misfire on cylinder #5 (front driver side). I switched the #1 and #5 coils and, sure enough, the misfire moved to cylinder #1.

I was going to order from Autozone ($53 for one coil, $253 for a set of 8) until I saw this thread. I'm going to replace the #1 coil and see what happens. To be continued.
Make sure you read this thread too about the seals- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/top-issue-02-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/page-5#post-38169

Doesn't apply.
As I noted
No signs of oil or water under covers. (or around any of the plugs)
They are so clean you could do surgery on them.

Also engine has never been washed.

Still looking for answers.
I think this might be a sensor problem of some type.
I get a check engine light and when I plug in scanner , it shows the same COP being bad.
In the past, I have changed that one COP about six times and the last time replaced all the COPs and plugs.
As before, after about 400-500 miles get check engine light again with same code.

This time I just reset and cleared check engine code.
The miss goes away and car runs fine for about 400-500 miles and then happens again, then reset ode and runs fine again.
If COP was really bad it should start to miss right away and not 500 miles later.

Anyone have any idea of what may be the cause?

It's best to just bite the bullet and fo them all at once!
Had cyl 2 misfire...
Week late cyl 3...
So replace 1-4 ( passenger side)
Couple months later cyl 5..
Read posts about "how difficult driver's side is.."
Hogwash!
Packs 5-8 are just as easy if you get a flexible 3/8" extension and a magnetic plug socket.
Took me about an hour per side.

Shanman

2002 thunderbird

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery before beginning the cop replacement? I haven't seen that step listed in the step by steps I've read. Granted I haven't read them all.

BIRDSALL

One of mine went bad late last year and I purchased 8 through a t-bird web site. Paid less then $400. and did the job myself with new plugs. Have the shop manual and it took me a few hours for each side and the car runs better then ever. I never figured out which one was bad so I have all the old one in the trunk. One of these days I'll figure out how to test them. The ones I purchased are supposedly guaranteed for life, at least that's what I was told. I saved quite a few dollars doing it myself........

JW in Dixie

I am ordering a set of these coils to have on hand just in case down the road I have issues. My 05 is running great but you never know.
Any input on the best plugs to do a tune up?
Shortly after getting my 2004, I bought a set of these cops, around $33 at the time. A few weeks later one failed. The other 7 ride in the trunk along with the tools needed to change one. Just like insurance, I hope I never need them. Cheers

I am ordering a set of these coils to have on hand just in case down the road I have issues. My 05 is running great but you never know.
Any input on the best plugs to do a tune up?
I had also bought a set (following the link from our forum - thank you) and waited for a warm day so I could change them out on my terms/schedule (mine is a daily driver). I went with Bosch platinum. Opinions vary but it you go with a platinum tip plug (and gap it properly!) I'm sure you will be fine.

FANZ

50th anniversary torch red
Thanks..I will look into them...Just got back a daily run on Interstate 10 and has the giddy up so it is good for now but want to have a back up for sure reading these threads. Only 47 k on it ! Appreciate the input....