Top Issue- 02-05 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

Mach5

2004 Merlot
I had no problem with the extra 1/8" on my 2004. When you reinstall the covers, you just need to go around and tighten them down evenly. (If you screw one end in, all the way down, it will pitch-up the far side making it nearly impossible to seal - if you are even able to get the screw in to start with.)
I set all my screws in around the perimeter, just engaging the threads. Next I took them all to finger tight. Last I screwed them down evenly, similar to the way you would tighten down an intake manifold - side to side, across, inside to out.
I had no problems.
However, I would like to see an aftermarket piece that is raised slightly to eliminate this issue - preferably with a nice Thunderbird logo! (Oh, and a really good watertight gasket to go with it.)

@Mach5 2005 - What tool/method do you use to tighten/loosen the driver's side - bottom corner bolt for the coil cover. Wow what a pain, I lost my tiny wrench somewhere in the engine compartment.... I left the 1 bolt off.

Last edited by a moderator:

JW in Dixie

Tie strings to the small tools. Stuff a towel or blanket in the area below the work area. Use a 1/4" socket swivel to improve the angle. Engage the help of a small child. It can be done - I did it and have the scars to prove it.

Mach5

2004 Merlot
I used an old ignition wrench tied to a large box end wrench by a piece of fishing line. I set the large wrench up on the manifold. I dropped the ignition wrench at least a half dozen times but just retrieved it on the line. Knowing I could drop it repeatedly -without suffering any real consequence - allowed me to move more quickly and without fear. My son working on the other side thought it funny to hear the tinkling sound every few seconds (followed by a quick "darn it") when I dropped it. No scars. And in the end, I snipped the line off the larger wrench but left it attached to the little ignition wrench - since the next time I will probably ever touch that wrench is the next time I need to take that cover off.

JW in Dixie

With many brands having similar failures, there must be something in the design that causes a problem in the finished product. Someone should peel a failed COP like an onion and locate the failure. That would be interesting, I think.

JW in Dixie

Well, I got started and noticed that the shop that I had previously taken it to lost 3 of the bolts holding the coil cover on. In my opinion, this would explain why the new gasket didn't "fix" the problem properly. So, I went ahead and ordered 12 new bolts and I am waiting on them to arrive, should be here tomorrow (8/2).
It's a sorry shop that will let shoddy work go out the door. Management problem. :(

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It's a sorry shop that will let shoddy work go out the door. Management problem. :(
I've heard of them dropping things down into the engine and damaging it. That's why I do as much of my own work as possible. I have friends that have worked in car dealers, and a lot of the people that work there are big time losers!

Mach5

2004 Merlot
I only use dealers when I have a new car under warranty. Once they are out of warranty I never go back. I only use my ASE Certified master mechanic I've known for over 25 years.

I've heard of them dropping things down into the engine and damaging it. That's why I do as much of my own work as possible. I have friends that have worked in car dealers, and a lot of the people that work there are big time losers!
For the most part, I try to do as much of the work on all of my vehicles that I can, but since my work schedule is so crazy and “free” time is so rare, I thought I’d let a shop handle it. Now I’m back to where why I do all the work myself.