Thinking about throwing in the towel - 03 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Thinking about throwing in the towel - 03

• Thread starter Thread starter Elsie
  • Start date Start date
E
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I've had my 03 for 5 years. Purchased it because "Carfax" said it was a one owner, had regular oil changes at dealer, new brakes installed and had power windows worked on. Every car I've ever own with power windows has had worked done so that was no big deal.

I brought it be a road car, a car I could take on short weekend trips, and maybe to Florida in the winter or even hit maybe the Pacific Coast Highway once. In 5 years it hasn't been more than 50 miles away from home because something is always wrong with it.

Hadn't had it a month and the "battery" light started to come on occasionally. Finally it went into limb mode right in front of a Ford Dealer one day, I coasted into their lot and decided to let them have a go. They said it was alternator, they changed that, no good, next they said I needed new fuel injectors - I said no to that, etc.. they keep car 3-1/2 weeks and finally decided it was main CPU but Ford didn't make that CPU anymore. I got on net and found one for em at another dealer a few states away. That and $1500 took care of that problem.

Less than year later car went into limp mode doing same thing, in same place in front of same Ford Dealer. I pulled in their hoping if it was same problem the work might be warranted. They said this time I need the COP done - they wanted another $1500. No I can do that myself, I did buy new COP and plugs from em though and did the work myself.

Then I blew upper radiator hose plastic connector. So I put on new upper, lower radiator hose, thermostat cover, thermostat, now the radiator is leaking. You get the picture.

I've replaced or had replaced new FEM, new keys, alternator, belt, all hoses, Coil, plugs, then last summer I replaced the front end myself, ball joints, upper control arm, lower control arm, front struts, all the effing rubber bushings were shot. I just checked the rear end - first car I've owned with independent rear end, others have been straight axle, well the dam rear end needs to be replaced too, never had a car with control arm on rear.

Blah, blah, blah - after doing all that I still need a new radiator, rear suspension, AC compressor, and the dam CD player quit about 6 months ago, and believe it or not it quit on a "The Beach Boys" CD while playing "Fun, fun, Fun". LOL

I still like the car, but seems like I'm throwing good money after bad on this thing. I've developed some serious health problems in the last few months so my days of doing any of the work on this thing is going to be limited.

Any thoughts? I think what else can go wrong? - well I see people on this forum are having fuel pump, and transmission problems. Not LOL

Still it is fun to drop the top and go cruising on a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Oh please don't tell me that about these T Birds. I love all of these 2 seat short production cars. Nice to drive, fun to own and you just don't see them everywhere. I just replaced my 1990 Buick Reatta with an '05 T Bird for that reason. It seams that every time I drove the Reatta a sensor went bad or something else went wrong. That is also the reason I went with the T Bird and not the Chrysler Crossover as I heard they had a lot of electrical issues.

The Reatta was sleek but with issues and parts were just not everywhere to be found. The brake system on a Reatta is unique and needs the fluid bled and replaced about every 18-24 months. But I do hope your T Bird is not typical of all of these. I have only had mine 4 months but yes the coils had to be replaced. Which could have been my fault by cleaning the engine with high pressure water. My engine miss started right afterwards so I think I got water under the coil covers. Good luck with yours and if you do decide to replace it let me know with what auto you decide. I will have a direction to turn incase I have on going issues.

I am sorry to hear about your luck with your T Bird

So sorry to hear your problems Elsie. I bought and rebuild a 58 Bonneville about 15 years ago. Every time I took it out something else went wrong, so I sold it. This year I bought the 2005 That you see in the picture. I have followed this form for the last four months and I must admit it seems like the 02&03s have a lot of problems. I don't see too many people complaining about their 04s and 05s. I'm keeping my fingers crossed concerning mine. All I can offer is my feelings for you and your problems. I have been there! Good luck.
Dan

Sorry to hear about your Bird. I bought mine on June 19, 2003 new. I have had it almost 15 years and the only real issue I have had with mine is the coils. I had them replaced at my Ford dealer and that was 2 years ago, knock on wood, all seems to be good. I love my bird she is just over 30,000 miles now and still going strong. Fun, Fun, Fun in my T-Bird!!

That is a lot of issues. Do not know if I am lucky, or just got a good T Bird. I bought mine new
from the dealer, and have had it for 16 years. Never had any problems with it till recently, and
the bad fuel pump was most likely age, and reputation for fuel pump. Also my ac compressor
started leaking last year, so I replaced it, but again 16 years old. Everything works on my car,
it has always been garaged, and looks like it is only 3 or 4 years old. Car only has 12,072 miles
now, but I am adding more to it these days.

While under my car replacing ac compressor, all the rubber joints looked good, did not see
anything that was going south.

I am wondering if you car was a one owner vehicle, how did that owner drive it.

Good luck with your T Bird.

Thanks for the input guys! I still like the car, just wish it was more dependable. In the past I did a lot of the work myself, which if I could still do I would keep it for sure. New radiator with labor is probably going run $1K? Last year I replaced the front end myself and I think I spent $1200 in parts, new rear suspension with parts and somebody else doing labor - who knows - at least twice that. I can do without AC in a convertible - I don't drive it in rain or with top up.

Still fun car to drive especially on cool spring or fall morning. Turn the heat up all the way, click on heated seats and go cruising. LOL

Thanks and good luck to you guys/gals!

Oh please don't tell me that about these T Birds. I love all of these 2 seat short production cars. Nice to drive, fun to own and you just don't see them everywhere. I just replaced my 1990 Buick Reatta with an '05 T Bird for that reason. It seams that every time I drove the Reatta a sensor went bad or something else went wrong. That is also the reason I went with the T Bird and not the Chrysler Crossover as I heard they had a lot of electrical issues.

The Reatta was sleek but with issues and parts were just not everywhere to be found. The brake system on a Reatta is unique and needs the fluid bled and replaced about every 18-24 months. But I do hope your T Bird is not typical of all of these. I have only had mine 4 months but yes the coils had to be replaced. Which could have been my fault by cleaning the engine with high pressure water. My engine miss started right afterwards so I think I got water under the coil covers. Good luck with yours and if you do decide to replace it let me know with what auto you decide. I will have a direction to turn incase I have on going issues.

I am sorry to hear about your luck with your T Bird

How coincidentally interesting:
I, too, gave up on my 1990 Reatta after it threw the serpentine belt due to alternator failure.

I loved the ride of that car and the mpg as well, I could get 28-29 on the road and it just had a great feel. I had no issues with the drive train at all. But other issues all the time, like I said mostly electrical. Mine was Maui Blue with gray interior and really a pretty car. But my T Bird is nice and I do hope it holds out. My '64 T Bird did me well.

Carfax... lol No replacement for a mechanic or body shop to look over a car for problems. False sense of security for buyers and useless.

Back