How hard is it to remove 2004/2005 Thunderbird radio? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

How hard is it to remove 2004/2005 Thunderbird radio?

• Thread starter Thread starter mikenormanrmn@c
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
mikenormanrmn@c

mikenormanrmn@c

Reaction score
I want to install a hard access between my Apple IPOD and my 2004 Thunderbird radio. My question is how hard is it to remove the radio so I can plug the adapter below into the SAT port on the radio? Or is this something you would want to go to a Ford dealer to have done?

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=9416

FORD 2004+ IPOD ADAPTER [PIE FRD03-POD/S] (FOR USE INTO 16 PIN SAT ...
FORD 2004+ IPOD ADAPTER [PIE FRD03-POD/S] (FOR USE INTO 16 PIN SAT PORT) (RADIOS WITH SAT BUTTON), Pick this for all 2003+ and newer cars.

Does anyone know where I can get directions as to how to remove and install the radio? I have search the forum but I have not found information needed so far.
Thanks
Mike

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

See if this helps. I did this when I connected the Sirius radio receiver to the rear of my 04 radio.

Slide out the center vents, they are just wedged in.

You'll see two bolts holding the top of the radio in place. Remove them.

Then pop-out the arm rest console; its easy to remove.

Then pop-out the blank-cover below the cigarette lighter and accessory outlet.

Remove the two bolts holding the cigarette lighter and accessory outlet and slide it out to the driver's side to get it out of the way.

Finally, remove the bottom two bolts holding the radio in place and slide it out as far as it will come.

I want to install a hard access between my Apple IPOD and my 2004 Thunderbird radio. My question is how hard is it to remove the radio so I can plug the adapter below into the SAT port on the radio? Or is this something you would want to go to a Ford dealer to have done?

FORD 2004+ IPOD ADAPTER [PIE FRD03-POD/S] (FOR USE INTO 16 PIN SAT PORT) (RADIOS WITH SAT BUTTON), Pick this for all 2003+ and newer cars.

Does anyone know where I can get directions as to how to remove and install the radio? I have search the forum but I have not found information needed so far.
Thanks
Mike

Update as of April 9, 2008:
The following was provided by forum members and I am posting here for others interested in installing the IPOD module:

Diagram of installation is attached.

1. Magnetize screw drivers to remove and hold screws while taking the screws out and putting screws in so to not lose the screws.
2. Placed car on level surface and set parking brake.
3. Lowered top to get easier access to work with if you desire.
4. Moved the shift to “D4” all the way back to not interfere and protect the shift from damage.
5. Open trunk and remove negative battery cable. Leave trunk open.
6. Remove the panel that is in front of the shift console. “Step one in diagram.” If you are very carefully with a wide screwdriver pry at the top corner edges, the panel will come off. “Step two and three in diagram”. There are two screws on the bottom of the lighter/convertible top button panel. Remove these and the panel will come right out.
7. Now take a wide blade screwdriver with a piece of masking tape on the end and pry out the BOTTOM left and right corners of the air conditioner vent control. There are no hoses to worry about it just wedges into the ducts to the rear of the vent. The plugs can be easily removed if desired.
8. The next two screws are on the bottom of the air conditioning control module “Step five of the diagram”. These are also removed. You will then notice two screws on the top of the radio “Step five of diagram”. Remove these and the radio will come right out “Step five of diagram”.
9. There is sufficient cable length to set the radio on the shift console. Place a towel over the shift lever and console to protect. ANOTHER WORD OF CAUSTION besides being careful of not scratching the shifter knob is to be very careful to not drop or jar the unit to hard. The CD reading head can be bounced out of position if it is jarred or banged to hard.
10. Follow directions that come with IPOD module and plugged in the 16 pin connector.
11. Input IPOD cords run out through the transmission tunnel and bring it up through the emergency brake escutcheon. The I-Pod plugs in securely and just place it in the cup holder. The usual I-Pod display relocates from the I-Pod to the car stereo so there is no need to refer to the I-Pod screen. Other option is to bring out the I-Pod plugs from the bottom side of the console. Cup holder is a good place to hold the IPOD.
12. Important to secure module to eliminate rattle. Velcro to secure the IPOD module is one option.
13. Reverse all steps listed above to finish the installation.

Installing a hard access between an Apple IPOD and a 2004 Thunderbird radio.

1. You will need a 5/16 wrench for the negative battery cable, a 7mm nut driver for the top down panel removal, a 8mm nut driver to remove the radio and flat head screw driver with masking tape over the end to remove various panels.
2. Placed car on level surface and set parking brake.
3. Lowered top to get easier access to work with if you desire.
4. Eject all CD's and move the shift to “D4” all the way back to not interfere and protect the shift from damage.
5. Open trunk and remove negative battery cable. Leave trunk open.
6. Remove the panel that is in front of the shift console. “Step one in diagram.” If you are very carefully with a wide screwdriver end protected by masking tape pry at the top corner edges, the panel will come off. “Step two and three in diagram”. NOTE I had difficult removing this panel. At a later step you will need to remove the center console to install wiring going to the IPOD. I suggest you remove the center console before removing the panel in front of the shift console. Lift up on the front corners of the center console and it will pop off. Lift up on the back of the console and it will come lose. Put the center console out of the way.
7. There are two 7mm bolts on the bottom of the lighter/convertible top button panel. Remove these and the panel will come right out “step two of the diagram”.
8. Now take a wide blade screwdriver with a piece of masking tape on the end and pry out the BOTTOM left and right corners of the air conditioner vent control. There are no hoses to worry about it just wedges into the ducts to the rear of the vent. The plugs can be easily removed if desired.
9. The next two 8mm bolts are on the bottom of the air conditioning control module “Step five of the diagram”. These are also removed. You will then notice two 8mm bolts on the top of the radio “Step five of diagram”. Remove these, cover the shift lever and center console with towel to protect it from the radio and the radio will come right out “Step five of diagram”.
10. There is sufficient cable length to set the radio on the towel on the shift console. ANOTHER WORD OF CAUTION besides being careful of not scratching the shifter knob is to be very careful to not drop or jar the unit to hard. The CD reading head can be bounced out of position if it is jarred or banged to hard.
11. Picture DSCF0005 is a picture of the wiring harness that comes with the IPOD module. Disconnect the factory 24-pin and 16-pin (if present) connections from the rear of the radio.
12. Connect the 24-pin and 16-pin connectors of the interface harness into the radio.
13. Reconnect the factory 24-pin and 16-pin (if present) connectors into the mating connectors of the interface harness.
14. Connect the 10-pin Molex connector of the interface harness to the mating connector of the interface black box. I ran the 10-pin Molex connector down through an opening below the radio to just in front of where the seat heating controls fit. Now you are ready to work the radio back into the area. It is difficult with the added wiring harness. You will need to arrange the wiring harness to make room for the radio to fit. Reinstalled the four 8mm bolts to hole the radio in making positive that you have a good tight fit. I had to try several times to get the radio and harness to fit so I could tighten the 8mm bolts down.
15. Connect the 10-pin Molex connector of the interface harness to the mating connector of the interface black box. Place a strip of Adhesive Velcro strip to the back of the black box and to the flat module in front of the console. Connect the male 13-pin DIN of the 4-foot dock cable to the female 13-pin DIN of the interface black box. Fasten interface box using the Velcro to where you put the adhesive Velcro on the car.
16. Route the 4-foot dock cable to the iPod location (i.e. center console or glove box) do not connect iPod yet. I ran through the center console tunnel and brought it up through the emergency brake escutcheon. This is why you needed to remove the center console. Cup holder is a good place to hold the iPod.
17. Reconnect the negative battery terminal.
18. Note: For best synchronization between iPod and radio, radio and IPod should both be ON.
19. Connect the routed 4-foot dock cable to the iPod. A symbol showing your iPod batter is being charged will show next to the battery indicator.
20. Wait a few seconds while the iPod interface searches for all the playlist(s).
21. Reinstall the center air register panel (step 4 in diagram).
22. Reinstall the power panel with the two 7mm bolts (step three in diagram).
23. Reinstall the Lower instrument panel finish panel. I found it easier to do if I did this before reinstalling the center console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back