Accessory belt, belt tensioner replacement 2003-2004-2005

• Thread starter notquiteflotsam
  • Start date
N

notquiteflotsam

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I developed a squeak recently when I'd start Dad's Thunderbird and it would last until the engine warmed up. Chirping through the neighborhood certainly takes away from the cool factor so after a bit of research, I took a stab that it was the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys. However diagnosing this, and in particular, how to replace it, was very hard so I thought I'd post here on the procedure so others can find it. My other vehicle is a Jeep and those forums are great for a detailed explanation of how to DIY repair so I thought I'd add a writeup here that details what I did. The whole process took me less than 3 hours. And it could have been about a 90-minute job if I'd known all of this going into it. Hope you find it useful.

As background, Dad's has about 187000 miles on it. Here is a video with the squeak.

Since I was going to be in here, I decided I'd replace the pulley and the belt tensioner while I was at it. I didn't know if Dad had done that when he had the car. Moderator note- you can view the parts list click here.
photostudio_1612919228962.jpg

The FSM says to remove the lower cover to get to the serpentine belt to replace it. I didn't put that page here because it's worthless and bad information. Once you remove it, you're met with a space in which only a middle school child could fit his/her arm into. And if you happen to have such a child, he/she won't have enough lead in their pants to release the pressure from the belt tensioner. So new plan...

It seemed I needed to remove the fan assembly. Fortunately, this isn't entirely required. I did disconnect the negative battery terminal. You will find it easier if you drain some of the coolant because you'll need to remove the hose that leads to the head later. There is a drain plug. It is on the passenger side and is a finger tight knob. Once loose, coolant will discharge a little straight down, but mostly out a horizontal drain. My finger is pointed at the plug. Note these hoses are in the way so the drain won't be clean. I drained about 3/4 a gallon and it was plenty.
IMG_5273.JPG

Next up your back to the top of the engine. Remove the upper radiator shield. Here is the page from the FSM, Step 4 was the Aha moment, as I would find out:
IMG_5278.JPG

Fortunately, you don't have to remove all of this. Only steps #1 and #2 in the below image - the brackets that hold the radiator in place - are all you need here. I think they were 8mm heads.
IMG_5279.JPG
There is one on each side and in this photo, I'd already removed the both, setting one back where it goes for reference.
IMG_5272.JPG
Back to that Step 4 I mentioned. Here is the reference page. I took the whole air assembly off, but I did not completely disassemble it as shown here.
IMG_5280.JPG
IMG_5276.JPG

To my delight, once the air assembly was out of the way, I only had to loosen that coolant hose right under my left hand in this picture. That gave wide open access to what I needed to get to. I had a buddy help hold the hose out of the way while I worked the old belt out. If you've never done it before, a 3/8 socket head fits into the belt tensioner. My 3/8 socket has a short handle so I used a cheater lead pipe (about 12") to get enough on it to loosen the belt tension. From there it was pretty straight forward. The belt pattern is below.
IMG_5281.JPG

Obviously, reverse the process to put it all back together. And don't forget to put the coolant back in. There is actually a process for this that was more than I thought I'd need to do but the details are below.

IMG_5282.JPG
IMG_5283.JPG

Anyway - good luck if you try this. It was pretty easy in the end. And importantly, the squeak is gone!

Attachments

• IMG_5269.JPG
    IMG_5269.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
2 issues: 1. I can't get a socket and ratchet or breaker bar into the area because of 2 refrigerant hose lines directly in front of the tensioner bolt. How did you get around that? 2. You said you used a 3/8 socket for the tensioner boly. My bolt is 15mm. Did you mean 3/8 ratchet?

I developed a squeak recently when I'd start Dad's Thunderbird and it would last until the engine warmed up. Chirping through the neighborhood certainly takes away from the cool factor so after a bit of research, I took a stab that it was the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys. However diagnosing this, and in particular, how to replace it, was very hard so I thought I'd post here on the procedure so others can find it. My other vehicle is a Jeep and those forums are great for a detailed explanation of how to DIY repair so I thought I'd add a writeup here that details what I did. The whole process took me less than 3 hours. And it could have been about a 90-minute job if I'd known all of this going into it. Hope you find it useful.

As background, Dad's has about 187000 miles on it. Here is a video with the squeak.

Since I was going to be in here, I decided I'd replace the pulley and the belt tensioner while I was at it. I didn't know if Dad had done that when he had the car. Moderator note- you can view the parts list click here.
View attachment 15573

The FSM says to remove the lower cover to get to the serpentine belt to replace it. I didn't put that page here because it's worthless and bad information. Once you remove it, you're met with a space in which only a middle school child could fit his/her arm into. And if you happen to have such a child, he/she won't have enough lead in their pants to release the pressure from the belt tensioner. So new plan...

It seemed I needed to remove the fan assembly. Fortunately, this isn't entirely required. I did disconnect the negative battery terminal. You will find it easier if you drain some of the coolant because you'll need to remove the hose that leads to the head later. There is a drain plug. It is on the passenger side and is a finger tight knob. Once loose, coolant will discharge a little straight down, but mostly out a horizontal drain. My finger is pointed at the plug. Note these hoses are in the way so the drain won't be clean. I drained about 3/4 a gallon and it was plenty.
View attachment 15519

Next up your back to the top of the engine. Remove the upper radiator shield. Here is the page from the FSM, Step 4 was the Aha moment, as I would find out:
View attachment 15520

Fortunately, you don't have to remove all of this. Only steps #1 and #2 in the below image - the brackets that hold the radiator in place - are all you need here. I think they were 8mm heads.
View attachment 15521
There is one on each side and in this photo, I'd already removed the both, setting one back where it goes for reference.
View attachment 15522
Back to that Step 4 I mentioned. Here is the reference page. I took the whole air assembly off, but I did not completely disassemble it as shown here.
View attachment 15523
View attachment 15524

To my delight, once the air assembly was out of the way, I only had to loosen that coolant hose right under my left hand in this picture. That gave wide open access to what I needed to get to. I had a buddy help hold the hose out of the way while I worked the old belt out. If you've never done it before, a 3/8 socket head fits into the belt tensioner. My 3/8 socket has a short handle so I used a cheater lead pipe (about 12") to get enough on it to loosen the belt tension. From there it was pretty straight forward. The belt pattern is below.
View attachment 15525

Obviously, reverse the process to put it all back together. And don't forget to put the coolant back in. There is actually a process for this that was more than I thought I'd need to do but the details are below.

View attachment 15526
View attachment 15527

Anyway - good luck if you try this. It was pretty easy in the end. And importantly, the squeak is gone!
2 issues: 1. I can't get a socket and ratchet or breaker bar into the area because of 2 refrigerant hose lines directly in front of the tensioner bolt. How did you get around that? 2. You said you used a 3/8 socket for the tensioner boly. My bolt is 15mm. Did you mean 3/8 ratchet?
I answered my own question. 15mm socket and 3/8" ratchet. Got the bolt loose but the tensioner doesn't move, no matter how hard I try to pry it countercloclwise. Suggestions?

I answered my own question. 15mm socket and 3/8" ratchet. Got the bolt loose but the tensioner doesn't move, no matter how hard I try to pry it countercloclwise. Suggestions?
Hi Dave - yes i did mean the 3/8" ratchet that fits in the small square at the end of img_5269.jpg. Its been a long time since I did this and I'm not quite sure I'm following where you are in the process. If you put the ratchet end directly in the square and rotate before you loosen the bolt holding the tensioner on, it should free up. Does that make sense?

Back