2004 Ford thunderbird how to remove the glove compartment

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
Does someone have instructions and now part numbers for how to remove the glove compartment on a 2004 Ford thunderbird? I have the center dash out and still can't reach the clip and and whatever else is holding this thing in. Any help would be appreciated cause car is tore apart trying to remove this one thing!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello,
Does someone have instructions and now part numbers for how to remove the glove compartment on a 2004 Ford thunderbird? I have the center dash out and still can't reach the clip and and whatever else is holding this thing in. Any help would be appreciated cause car is tore apart trying to remove this one thing!
You need to buy the workshop DVD if you are going to be doing work on your car.

Last edited:
I did, I bought it and one for a Lincoln ls as well. I can't find any details on how to remove it. I'm hoping someone here has done it before.

Release the glove compartment arm assist cable from the assist arm.

Lift up on the glove compartment door assist arms & lower the glove compartment.

Remove the two glove compartment assist cable bracket screws.

Remove the 5 screws and the glove compartment bin.

Disconnect the glove compartment lamp electrical connection.

Remove the 5 bolts and glove compartment door frame. To install tighten bolts to 44lbs-in.

To install glove compartment reverse the removal steps.

Hope this is more helpful than the person who suggested you purchase the repair manual. In the long run probably a good idea, but for immediate assistance glad you asked & I could help.

Release the glove compartment arm assist cable from the assist arm.

Lift up on the glove compartment door assist arms & lower the glove compartment.

Remove the two glove compartment assist cable bracket screws.

Remove the 5 screws and the glove compartment bin.

Disconnect the glove compartment lamp electrical connection.

Remove the 5 bolts and glove compartment door frame. To install tighten bolts to 44lbs-in.

To install glove compartment reverse the removal steps.

Hope this is more helpful than the person who suggested you purchase the repair manual. In the long run probably a good idea, but for immediate assistance glad you asked & I could help.

2003 tbird, have disengaged right side plastic arm. Can't get left arm to release. can you do Tbirds for dummies explanation, please?

I had written this up before, here's what you do.

It is very simple, the cable that attaches to the glove compartment door has an eye hook on the end that slips over a small pin. The eye hook is bigger at one end, so just slide the cable end up on the pin and lift it off.

No cable. On each side is plastic arm. Right side detaches by pressing outward. Left side will not move outward enough to disengage pin.
20200829_193619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just replaced the factory headunit and I learned the following:

You need to be under the glove box to unhook the cable that goes to the assist plunger. This is for the left arm. This is a PITA.

To actually remove the glove box you need both side arms/stops to un-latchfrom the glove box. Then and only then can you swing the door down low enough to get to the bolts that hood the glove box to the dash.

IMHO, that assist plunger is a waste. It add complexity to a simple operation and has minimal value. I did not reattach the cable when I reinstalled the glove box.

Back