Driving my 2004 on Route 66 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Driving my 2004 on Route 66

• Thread starter Thread starter doug7740
  • Start date Start date
doug7740

doug7740

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
On April 22nd I purchased a 2004 Thunderbird with 35,000 miles from a Ford dealer about 300 miles from where I live. Using the suggestions that everyone on this forum gave, I asked the dealer to put the car on a lift so I could check the brakes, tires, suspension, and the underside for any leaks or damage. I had the dealer remove the hard top so I could see the operation and condition of the soft top. We took the car for a road test and during the road test I drove the car aggressively to see how the transmission operated and it seemed to shift normally. We also checked the operation of the air conditioner and every electrical component on the car. The dealer also let me connect my scanner to the car's Data Link Connector so I could check to see if there were any fault codes in any of the control modules.

Since the ignition coils are an issue, I replaced all 8 ignition coils and the spark plugs. I replaced the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Since the temporary spare tire is original, I replaced it with a new one from MAXXIS. After clearing the engine control module memory, I drove the car through the Ford Motor Company driving cycle and all of the readiness monitors passed and set.

The reason I am mentioning all of this is because in September my wife and I plan on driving our 2004 Thunderbird on Route 66 all the way from Chicago to Santa Monica and back. So I can learn everything about my 2004 Thunderbird I have been following the posts on this forum, and frankly you guys are starting to scare the hell out of me. The post in particular is The Top Five 02-05 T-Bird Problems.

So my question is should I drive my Thunderbird on this 6,000 trip or am I just asking for trouble?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On April 22nd I purchased a 2004 Thunderbird with 35,000 miles from a Ford dealer about 300 miles from where I live. Using the suggestions that everyone on this forum gave, I asked the dealer to put the car on a lift so I could check the brakes, tires, suspension, and the underside for any leaks or damage. I had the dealer remove the hard top so I could see the operation and condition of the soft top. We took the car for a road test and during the road test I drove the car aggressively to see how the transmission operated and it seemed to shift normally. We also checked the operation of the air conditioner and every electrical component on the car. The dealer also let me connect my scanner to the car's Data Link Connector so I could check to see if there were any fault codes in any of the control modules.

Since the ignition coils are an issue, I replaced all 8 ignition coils and the spark plugs. I replaced the engine air filter and the cabin air filter. Since the temporary spare tire is original, I replaced it with a new one from MAXXIS. After clearing the engine control module memory, I drove the car through the Ford Motor Company driving cycle and all of the readiness monitors passed and set.

The reason I am mentioning all of this is because in September my wife and I plan on driving our 2004 Thunderbird on Route 66 all the way from Chicago to Santa Monica and back. So I can learn everything about my 2004 Thunderbird I have been following the posts on this forum, and frankly you guys are starting to scare the hell out of me. The post in particular is The Top Five 02-05 T-Bird Problems.

So my question is should I drive my Thunderbird on this 6,000 trip or am I just asking for trouble?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I'd drive it. Just make sure you aaa card is good.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Greetings from Virginia Beach! Don't know your reason to buy one of these unique machines, but I got mine to enjoy, which for me means DRIVE! I'm the 3rd owner of a black and tan '05 with 19,500 when I brought her home 2 years ago; the last owner put 500 on her in the 5 years he had her...and I'm grateful he saved her for me! They are machines and designed to be used. With proper care there are many years of smiles, miles, and memories ahead...why deny yourself?

Greetings from Virginia Beach! Don't know your reason to buy one of these unique machines, but I got mine to enjoy, which for me means DRIVE! I'm the 3rd owner of a black and tan '05 with 19,500 when I brought her home 2 years ago; the last owner put 500 on her in the 5 years he had her...and I'm grateful he saved her for me! They are machines and designed to be used. With proper care there are many years of smiles, miles, and memories ahead...why deny yourself?
PS, there are nearly 40 K on the clock now!

I drove my new to me at the time 2004 with 94,000 miles from Seattle to Ann arbor Mi. zero problems and learned the feel of the bird on the way,ANY car can have problems on a 6,000 mile journey so always prepare but do not dwell on it. note that forum users often emphasize the problems related to the forum,a great way to diagnose what might happen, but not so many reports of the joy they bring problem free. Take the trip, enjoy yourselves.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Looks like you have done the most important items. Maybe you could pin a map with forum members and recommended mechanics along the way in case you need some help. The cooler the weather, the better. Use 93 octane gas! Good luck!

The day I picked up my 2004 Thunderbird in April, 2018, I embarked on a 1,700 mile trip from Vancouver, B.C. to Winnipeg, MB. The only issue I encountered was a front end vibration at 70 MPH caused by improperly balanced tires. The tires were new, installed and allegedly balanced by the selling dealer just prior to purchase. Here is where we can pick on Honda, because they were the culprits. I discovered the issue on the first leg of the trip, pretty much figured out what it was, had all four corners rebalanced and had no problems at all thereafter.

If your car has had a safety inspection you should be in for an amazing trip from Chicago to the coast. Enjoy!

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I have a 2004 TBird with about 40,000 miles on it and would not think twice about it. You will have a great time!

I have a 2004 TBird with about 40,000 miles on it and would not think twice about it. You will have a great time!
I have an 02. Have driven the Rt 66 route to Santa Monica. FUN., I live on Rt 66 in IL. so you will come by my home. However i rented a SUV for drive out there. . Rode Amtrak back from LA. It sort of follows RT 66 back. You see it out the windows quite often. Amtrak Route is called SW Chief.
For me personally, it is a long ride in a small car with not much luggage room.. Would be an adventure! Good luck if you do it. I have new coils, AC, tires, fuel pump, so i think it would make it.

The day I picked up my 2004 Thunderbird in April, 2018, I embarked on a 1,700 mile trip from Vancouver, B.C. to Winnipeg, MB. The only issue I encountered was a front end vibration at 70 MPH caused by improperly balanced tires. The tires were new, installed and allegedly balanced by the selling dealer just prior to purchase. Here is where we can pick on Honda, because they were the culprits. I discovered the issue on the first leg of the trip, pretty much figured out what it was, had all four corners rebalanced and had no problems at all thereafter.

If your car has had a safety inspection you should be in for an amazing trip from Chicago to the coast. Enjoy!
So there is at least another T-Bird in Winnipeg !

I want to thank everyone for the advise and words of encouragement, it has boosted my confidence. I worked as an automotive technician in a dealership for over 40 years before retiring 5 years ago. I guess I forgot that most of the cars that were brought to me were problem cars, just like the cars that are posted on this forum are exhibiting problems and are not indications that a majority of 2002 to 2005 Thunderbirds will have the same problems.

As someone once told me, it doesn't matter the day that you were born or the day that you die, what matters is what you do with the time you have between those dates. Life doesn't give you a second chance to make a memory, good or bad I'm not going to miss this one.

Thank you all.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

So there is at least another T-Bird in Winnipeg !
There are a few of us around. I’ve actually seen one other 2004 that is merlot (like mine). I’m in the south end, and you can recognize me by the Bomber plates. Go Blue!

You'll have a great trip. just keep in mind that it's a 17 year old car
I have driven my 2004 PCR from NJ to NC and back twice a year for the past 7 or 8 years, and to date, trouble free, and a delight to drive, even on the tedious I-95
As my mechanic once told me, drive the darn car! Use it or lose it...

Go for it! I got my '56 to drive, as well. My plan is to do a round-trip Route 66 run next year. It's original with -~100k miles.

just like the cars that are posted on this forum are exhibiting problems and are not indications that a majority of 2002 to 2005 Thunderbirds will have the same problems.
Bingo! There are thousands of people on this site who don't even post for months/years and then when they have a problem, they post. It creates a skewed reality because generally speaking we seek out advice when we have a problem. All cars usually have some sort of common issue that has a high probability of cropping up. In the case of the 02-05 Thunderbirds, usually the FEM, COPS or Air Conditioning System & also Fuel pumps (often after the car sits for months). I remember years ago, a parts supplier made faulty O2 sensors and that was a problem with a lot of cars for a while.

Check your coolant level. A post on the forum suggested changing thermostat and housing every 5-7 years. My temp went up last week 92 out, never saw a drop of coolant on the ground were she parks but it was a half a gallon and it was checked about 800 miles ago, down enough to go hot. My mechanic said he ran her for 4 hours and had a very slight wet spot by thermostat housing. May not leak enough to show but over time a little adds up. Ordered new housing assembly only like $50.00. The wife's car has 178,000 and runs great with regular maintenance items. She loves her bird. Enjoy the drive!

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Absolutely
these cars were meant to run..enjoy

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Always carry a gallon of distilled water.

Back