Spare Tire replacement for 2002-2005

Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
I found a tire that fits the wheel well at Walmart.com
Antares Ingens A1 All-Season Tire - 205/50R17 93V
Price: $48.51
I just bought the exact same size (different maker) from Walmart and when I tried the unmounted tire in the well it was too high for the trunk floor panel to sit properly. I noticed the original was 185/60R17. I can't imagine mounting it will help and if I try it I cannot return it. Anyone have any advice?

Thunderbird Year
I got my replacement last week from maxxis. I agree in keeping it original as possible is worth the extra cost and peace of mind. I am having my radio replaced with a Pioneer from Best Buy and will be adding Sirius XM. The law in Florida is changing so hands free through Apple Car Play is the only way to go. Gaining the modern conveniences is worth the change from original to me.

Thunderbird Year
I opted to keep my old Spare as it looked quite good anyway, BTW the 4 digits for the mfg date are week of year and year The earlier note in this thread would be 19th week of 2003 which makes sense for the 2004 TBird above. I am sticking with my old radio as I don't listen to music and the stuff I do listen to News, old Time Radio shows & books does not work well where I drive in the northeast because the trees block the satellite signal

Gus Gutz

Thunderbird Year
I opted to keep my old Spare as it looked quite good anyway, BTW the 4 digits for the mfg date are week of year and year The earlier note in this thread would be 19th week of 2003 which makes sense for the 2004 TBird above. I am sticking with my old radio as I don't listen to music and the stuff I do listen to News, old Time Radio shows & books does not work well where I drive in the northeast because the trees block the satellite signal
Well I got a flat the other day. My replacement tire would not be delivered for a day and I had to drive on the spare. No way would I drive on a 17 year old tire. I am so glad I purchased the spare from Maxxis two years ago. Money well spent.

Gus Gutz

Thunderbird Year
I ought Antares Ingens A1 All-Season Tire-205/50R1793V this week from Walmart.com had it mounted and it fits perfect in wheel well of my 2002 T’Bird. Price was $68.71
I'm surprised that Walmart mounted a non standard tire. They wouldn't even look at my truck tire because it was not the size that came standard on it

Mach5

2004 Merlot
Thunderbird Year
I ought Antares Ingens A1 All-Season Tire-205/50R1793V this week from Walmart.com had it mounted and it fits perfect in wheel well of my 2002 T’Bird. Price was $68.71
So, to be clear, Walmart mounted the tire on your spare rim? And, I understand that it fit in the well - which is great news - but were you able to properly replace the tire cover? And the cover sat down flat - correctly in place?

Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator: