Aftermarket Performance Parts Upgrades 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

These drop in filters are well worth the money. You will be surprised with the difference they make in performance, sound and fuel mileage. I should have gone that route instead of buying the Chinese made cold air intake system from Amazon that was less than commendable.

Just got the Borla installed today. Nice tone and low end. Found a local shade tree type that installed it for 1/3 the price of a chain muffler shop too.

I was looking for some kind of tune to lower my Fan temp, I went to the SCT web page and there is no support for the t-bird anymore, Walmart happened to have the SCT X4 7015 on special last week and I decided to take a chance not been sure if it came with any pre-loaded tunes, it does come with just one the 93 octane tune

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone here installed this non-branded cold air intake - cost is $70 as compared to the K&N at $350.

There are several positive reviews (Amazon) for this kit, but any feedback from forum members would be helpful.

I've seen in depth studies on CAI for Mustangs. It's effectively a novelty item and the performance increase is negligible. Some people claim it sounds better, but I think that is often psychological. I do have one on my Mustang.

With that said, my opinion is the chrome one clashes with the engine bay and looks out of place. I prefer keeping the original look the K&N has. https://amzn.to/3PL921K
Ford-Thunderbird-CAI.jpg
lincoln.jpg

These Cold Air Intakes pickup most of the air from the engine bay, when the engine is cold they're great, just take a look on your scanner at the intake air temperature sensor when the engine is fully warm an you will see how high the air temperature gets.
The ECM will reduce or pull timing and you lose power.
IMO a K&N or Spectre air filter will work better.

I have a 2003 Tbird and I have a Borla exhaust system. It has a nice throaty sound, not overly loud and it gives the Bird a few more horsepower.
I have a 2004 and I have a Borla exhaust installed on mine. Took the shop less than 40 minutes to remove the stock exhaust (I kept it) and install the Borla exhaust. Sounds great and love the power, also installed the K&N CAI, it all really helped the performance.

I have a CAI on my 2002 and you are right , K&N does not make them. I got this one- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1421171242...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I also put on the Borla cat back.Sounds nice and a good power increase after adding the 2.
Just came into possession of an '02. Did you find that CAI made any difference? I've had issues in the past with non-name brand intakes that either do nothing or actually lose some HP.

I've had issues in the past with non-name brand intakes that either do nothing or actually lose some HP.
The reality is, without a computer tune+ CAI on a car like a Mustang, most CAI are just something people do as a hobby.

I suspect the drop in K&N filter is just as effective. Most people state the CAI Ads some sound.

All you need to unleash the power of your Thunderbird are three things!

1- Cold Air Intake 2003-2005 also for 2002
2- Exhaust 2003-2004-2005 ( says 2003 but will fit 2004 & 2005 per this post. 2002 only fits 02 model.
Also recommend replacing ignition coils since these are often bad! They are cheap now, so at the least have a set on hand!
You can do the first two and then the exhaust at a later time if you don't want to do them all at once. The tuner alone will also yield results.

A must have for any Ford Thunderbird owner! Click here to view the SCT Ford Thunderbird Tuner that works on 1996-2014 FORD Cars & Trucks.

Notes: X4 Power Flash Programmer; Pre-Loaded;Not Legal For Use/Sale In CA On Pollution Controlled Vehicle;, 93 Octane HP Increase +14 hp; Torque Increase +17 lbs./ft.~ Backs Up Stock Tune/Supports Custom Tuning~ Axle Ratio/Tire Size~ Holds Up To 10 Custom Tunes; Automatic On/Off/Sleep Mode~ Read And Clears DTC Codes; Built-In Performance Calculator~ High Speed Date Logging And Monitoring; User Adjustable Tuner Options~ Built-In Wifi For Easy Updates; User Adjustable Warning/Alerts~ Spark Modification By RPM/Wide Open Throttle Fuel~ Wide Open Throttle Shift Points/Shift Firmness Control/Cooling Fan~ Speed Limiter/RPM Limiter/Idle Adjustment/Traction Control

K&N 69-3520TP Typhoon Air Intake Kit is also a easy way to improve performance and gas mileage on the 2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird! Pays for itself over time! Click here to view on eBay or here on Amazon.
View attachment 25992

View attachment 16640

Ford Thunderbird BORLA Split-Rear Exit Cat-Back System With Single Round Rolled Angle-Cut Tip
Upgrade your Ford Thunderbird’s factor exhaust system to something truly amazing!
HP & Torque: 14 HP/ 18 ft lbs Torque.

Click here for 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust

Click here for 2002 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust
View attachment 621
All of the above have been installed in my 2003, love the sound

Just finished putting this together for my 02. Sourced parts from Amazon. Made cardboard templates to xfer to 1/6" Al sheet stock. Rivet together.
Rubber seal makes a good seal from engine heat and fresh air from behind the headlight/grill area has a direct shot to the filter. Looks and functions as good as the KN unit for $75 & hrs of thinking and fabricating.

1000000782.jpg1000000779.jpg1000000776.jpg1000000777.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back