2002 Buzzing Noise at 75 mph and higher | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Buzzing Noise at 75 mph and higher

• Thread starter Thread starter Flinx1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flinx1

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
When driving the 2002 Thunderbird, I'm getting a very loud buzzing noise/vibration noise when reaching 75 mph or higher. It does it whether the hard top is on, software top is up or down. I thought at first that I had a vent open or a leak in the front window. When driving and a gust of wind from the side of the car the buzzing noise decreases/goes away for a second or two then comes back, but when driving directly into the wind it is very loud. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When driving the 2002 Thunderbird, I'm getting a very loud buzzing noise/vibration noise when reaching 75 mph or higher. It does it whether the hard top is on, software top is up or down. I thought at first that I had a vent open or a leak in the front window. When driving and a gust of wind from the side of the car the buzzing noise decreases/goes away for a second or two then comes back, but when driving directly into the wind it is very loud. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Loose or missing push-pins for the cabin air filter enclosure can cause this problem. Check the trim piece at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side and see if it fits flush on the windshield. If not, the filter is likely installed wrong. The noise can be very irritating.

Birdhouse posted this:
Change cabin air filter

"I was able to change the cabin air filter today on my 2004 bird.
I took all of the plastic rivets with the center release out...all along the
top of the plastic cowl. I was able then to lift it up just enough
to get to the old filter and release the tabs. Pull old filter out. Then install the new one and click the filter tabs down. Replace plastic screws
Time 15 minutes.
Hastings Cabin Air Filter Part #HAAF 1110"

Birdhouse posted this:
Change cabin air filter

"I was able to change the cabin air filter today on my 2004 bird.
I took all of the plastic rivets with the center release out...all along the
top of the plastic cowl. I was able then to lift it up just enough
to get to the old filter and release the tabs. Pull old filter out. Then install the new one and click the filter tabs down. Replace plastic screws
Time 15 minutes.
Hastings Cabin Air Filter Part #HAAF 1110"

Where is the plastic cowl? Under hood? Have to take wipers off? Also, is there a separate air conditioner filter as i saw reference to on web? How do I remove rivets without damage?

Am new to 2002 tbird! Thanks

The black plastic cowl is the piece that lays across the base of the windshield. It is accessed by opening the hood. There you will see the plastic hold down push pins(rivets) that hold the cowl in place. Look carefully at the rivets you will see a small inner circle in the rivet top pushing that inner circle in will release the outer top & the complete rivet will release. Just pull & wiggle it out of the cowl.
The cabin air filter which you are referring to as the a/c filter is in its own "box" under the cowl in the corner of the passenger side just under the windshield.
You do not need to release all of the cowl push pins to access the cabin filter, but do release & remove at least half way across starting at the pass. side. You do not need to remove the wiper arms. Once the cowl is loose you can lift it enough to open the cabin filter's box & pull the old filter out. Install the new filter, can only go in one way due to its shape. Latch the filter box closed. Press the cowl back in place paying GREAT attention to the rubber windshield seal. It MUST lay flat against the glass to create its seal. Otherwise you will have wind noise as it flutters as well as water leaks.
Once the cowl is down in place put the rivets back in latching them by pressing the center pin back down flush with the outer ring of the rivet.
If you break one or loose one down in never-never land they can be found on-line by searching Ford's part # W705956-S300.
Depending the the dirt/dust level where you live it is a good idea to change out the cabin filter at least once a year, for what they cost & the problems they prevent, twice a year is even better. Just like you house/home furnace filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back