1994 transmission shutter at 60 mph

skergio71
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hello i have a 1994 t bird lx V8 transmission shutter at 60 mph when pressing gas..i am also dripping trans fluid when parked....no slips or any trouble from 0 to 60...but at 60 when i press gas it has loud noise until speed is reached......torque converter ???? it has 78 000 miles.....never winter driven..always garage kept..the trans fluid is perfect...never went brown or black..it is red.....the trans fluid is not low buy the way when this happens....i keep adding fluid when it loses it to make sure no low fluid level........no slippage on any gears...just loud grinding noise when acceleratiing from 60 mph and over until speed is reached...then it is ok.....as long as i dont accel again.........if i accel very slightly..i can barely feel it..but if i push it the grinding noise is immediate....as soon as it is ''under load"".......almost only in 4th gear as i can tell,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Check your universal joints

Went to transmission Shop this morning and after road test they said the transmission was fine....and told me to check motor mounts, u joints and drive shaft....thanks for the reply sounds like we are getting somewhere!!!

When I bought myu 2003 Thunderbird 3 years ago it had a noticeable shimmy about 65-70 mph; with only 18,000 miles on it I knew it hand't spent much time in the shop for routine maintenance, a simple tire balance and rotation fixed the issue.

When I bought myu 2003 Thunderbird 3 years ago it had a noticeable shimmy about 65-70 mph; with only 18,000 miles on it I knew it hand't spent much time in the shop for routine maintenance, a simple tire balance and rotation fixed the issue.
yes it is often a issue, but in my case that is not the problem, only vibtates under load and tires rotated / balanced recently....thanks!!

Back