1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Ignition Coils COP

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by tbird, Dec 22, 2016.

1. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

Found these directions online- Use at your own risk! Doesn't hurt to disconnect the battery before starting IMHO.

Step 1: Make sure you have all the right tools handy. A deep well 7 mm socket, a regular 7 mm socket, an extension, a 7 mm open/closed end wrench, screwdriver and small flashlight.
    Step 2: Remove the engine cover. Unscrew the two black plastic slotted screws at the front of the cover and remove them. Pop the front of the cover up and gently push the rear of the cover upwards to remove it from the mounting stems.
    Step 3: Identify the coil covers on the right and left sides of the engine. They are secured by six screws. We will work on the passenger's side first.
    Step 4: Using a 7mm socket and driver break loose the four screws on the cover. (two at the front, two in the center).
    Step 4a: Using a 7 mm spanner, break loose the two screws at the rear of the cover closest to the windshield. The upper one can probably be taken out with a regular socket but I used a spanner and once it was loose I turned it out by hand. The lower one is a bitch but it will come loose once you take a few turns on it with the spanner.
    Step 5: Take out the six screws and put them in a safe place and gently remove the cover taking care not to scrape the gasket material.
    Step 6: Unclip the connector to the coil pack by squeezing the right rear of the connector and pull it loose. Using your 7 mm socket, unscrew the bolt holding the coil pack in place. Then just pull the coil pack off of the spark plug and remove.... with the bolt unthreaded it will pull up very easily.
    Step 7: Put some dialectic grease around the plug cover of the new coil pack and pop it into place onto the spark plug. For the back ones (hardest to get to), it would be wise to put the 7 mm bolt in place on the new pack before putting the pack over the plug and then hand-thread to get it started.

Then just secure everything back in the reverse order that you took it all off. Make sure you re-connect the clips to the packs before you put the cover back in place.

Cylinders are numbered starting at the passengers side front with number 1. They follow from front to back to number 4 and then start on the driver's side front at number 5 and then back to 8.

STEP4.jpg STEP5.jpg STEP6.jpg STEP7.jpg STEp8.jpg STEP9.jpg STEP10.jpg

JMac4506 and Dirty Harry like this.
  2. I purchased these tonight and reflect delivery in 2 days. They have several in stock but they no longer have an option to purchase the plugs any way other than packages of 6 at a time.

3. tbird

I updated the link with the 4 packs- http://amzn.to/2DyRGnG

4. I will be ordering me a set of coils for sure. Mine has 76000 miles on it and it runs like new but buying it just a couple months ago I don't know if they have been changed or not, so I will have a set on hand when the time comes ;) Thanks for this information. Now if I can get the convertible soft top pivot arm latch I will be in good shape. Mine is missing and can't lock the top. Good thing is,,I have the hard top too ;)

tbird likes this.
  5. I purchased a set of these when they were available about two years back, about a year ago we noticed our 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster have a hesitation while running, not smooth. took it down to our mechanic of many years and had him install eight of these coils and WOW, running like the CAT it should be. Just ordered another set as this was the second time in the 10 years of owning our Jag that we have had to address the COPs issue. I would for sure nab a set or two of these!

JMac4506 and tbird like this.
  6. JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

Say on an 04, does disconnecting the batt affect any of the computers/settings? Thx

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Thanks for the heads up. Recently purchased a 2005 T-bird and have heard of the coil problem but have not experienced any problems yet.

8. Do you have the part number for the spark plugs?

9. tbird

It's in the original post- here is the link- http://amzn.to/2DyRGnG

JMac4506 likes this.
  10. Is it true that the Manufacturer just extended the coil pack warrantee to 100,000 miles. I believe I read it here somewhere

11. tbird

All warranties like that are by miles/years, so the years would have expired by now. Remember how old these cars are.

12. Yes, I forgot about the whichever comes first part of the equation. Think it might be worth a shot anyway to ask?

13. tbird

No.

14. Am thinking about changing coils and plugs, any info on what plugs are best?

15. I would imagine FORD came thru with a repair on this issue? To many folks are having issues.

16. tbird

Check these out-
    http://amzn.to/2DyRGnG

17. Does anyone know if a set of 8 is still available

18. biddle

biddle Administrator Staff Member

19. Well my '05 with 102,000 just started to miss every now and then and also when I give it the gas. I am thinking I have developed the COP problem so I plan on replacing the ignition coils this weekend and see if that resolves the issue. I do plan on going to Amazon and getting the coil set you indicated above as well as new NGK plugs plus some dielectric grease. Anything else I should do while I am under the hood? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Mike

tbird likes this.
  20. tbird

If you replace the COP and Plugs you will be good! I bet you will notice a big difference in response!

JMac4506 likes this.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!