Highest mileage Birds? 2002 - 2005

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am very curious to know how many owners of 2002 - 2005 Birds have over 100,000 miles on the clock, AND if they were able to reach that milestone without major drive-train repairs/replacements. Also curious to know if you had to replace any computer modules.

Details please!

I have 144000+ on my car, that never had any major problems according to the previous owners. It has never given me any of the problems you read about in the forum. As mentioned, do your regular maintenance, and replace wear items and you should have no worries. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago.

I met a lady with a 02 Thunderbird Blue who happened to have over 260,000 miles on her car. From the conversation she had been through 2 transmissions as the largest repair. It was here in Dallas, Georgia.

I am very curious to know how many owners of 2002 - 2005 Birds have over 100,000 miles on the clock, AND if they were able to reach that milestone without major drive-train repairs/replacements. Also curious to know if you had to replace any computer modules.

Details please!
2003 with 128,000. replaced all coils (most under warranty)/ Air Conditioner ..... everything else working well.

I have 144000+ on my car, that never had any major problems according to the previous owners. It has never given me any of the problems you read about in the forum. As mentioned, do your regular maintenance, and replace wear items and you should have no worries. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago.
No replacement of PCM, FET, etc?

As far as I know from records from previous owners (basically I'm the 3rd owner ) all of the computers are original. Plugs, and coils etc. have been changed as regular maintenance, and the hydraulic fan converted to electric. I replaced the Trim at the top of the windshield, and the DCCV, and the passengers door lock actuator. The A/C system still has problems, but I can live with that.

I have a 2004 Merlot with 215,000 and a 2005 Black with 175,000 miles no previous issues just normal wear items.
UNreal!! You have two Birds with a combined mileage of almost 400,000 and NO major drive train repairs or replacements? What are your preventive maintenance secrets?

As is sometimes said on hobbyist forums, the cars exhibiting problems are posted about the most often and are not indications that a majority of a particular marquee will have the same issues.

I bought my 2003 3 years ago it has 179,000 mile it has not given me any problems. The women I bought it from had it since 2004 and it was her "baby" she said it never had any major problems. And it has been good for me. CD player does not work I can live with that. My fan speed just went out so if on it blows at high speed only. All other has been great.

I bought my 2003 3 years ago it has 179,000 mile it has not given me any problems. The women I bought it from had it since 2004 and it was her "baby" she said it never had any major problems. And it has been good for me. CD player does not work I can live with that. My fan speed just went out so if on it blows at high speed only. All other has been great.
That is just amazing!

Hi There
2003 with 326808 Km or 203069 miles as of last week. no problems with drive train still all original, usual stiff , coils control arm bushings, just did air compressor and 2 big lines from the firewall along the passenger side inner fender to compressor ( big pain the hoses lol), regular maintenance , tires breaks. hope to get 500000 km .dddwed.jpg

Last edited:
Unheard of!

Hi There
2003 with 326808 Km or 203069 miles as of last week. no problems with drive train still all original, usual stiff , coils control arm bushings, just did air compressor and 2 big lines from the firewall along the passenger side inner fender to compressor ( big pain the hoses lol), regular maintenance , tires breaks. hope to get 500000 km .View attachment 17285
What were your engine oil, oil filter, and air filter maintenance practices.? You very clearly did much right.

What were your engine oil, oil filter, and air filter maintenance practices.? You very clearly did much right.
Every 10000 km oil and filter when the father in-law drove it year round. Since I have owned it its summer only driving and gets a oil and filter when I bring it out of storage. Still runs like a top. 4 sets of coils and plugs and 3 by pass coolant pipes and thermostat. Cd player died and went aftermarket. Replaced drivers side lower seat leather and foam. No electronic modules or electrical problems except passenger side lock actuator. Been lucky that way knock on wood lol. Fun car to drive

Details please!
‘02 with 111248 no major repairs. Regular maintenance, needs ac compressor now and that’s it. Very fortunate no major issues.

Details please!
I have an 03 with 120K miles. Had to rebuild the transmission at 113K miles and have the transmission module changed at the same time. I think my issue might have just been the module and not the transmission? I also had to replace the ABS computer module around the same time. Needed a new radiator at 90K miles. CD stopped playing around 80K miles. The CD has a worm drive that comes loose. I was able to easily repair it from watching videos on-line. I also diagnosed the ABS module on my own and sent it to module masters to be repaired (there are various module repair services online). I had the radiator and transmission repaired by professional mechanics. The transmission shop told me the transmission failed and that caused the control module to fail...not sure I believe them but if you do some research you will find the transmission used in the Tbird and other Ford vehicles had a high failure rate around 80K-100K miles. Unfortunately, from what I have read over the years, my problems are not unusual. I take very good care of the car, garage it every night, regular maintenance, etc. I have 5 other Fords of various types, treat them the same and have had very little to no problem with them. Their years range from 1983 to 2014 and their mileage ranges from 50K - 230K miles. Hope this helps.

Back