First Major Repair | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

First Major Repair

• Thread starter Thread starter V8 Cat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V8 Cat

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Our 2005 Tbird goes into the dealer (Cherokee Ford, Alpharetta, GA) for replacement of the steering rack. It has been making a squeaking noise for sometime, but lately I can feel a slight binding at low speed parking maneuvers, and it seems to be getting worse.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Claude:
Is this at your expense or do you have an extended warranty? Keep us posted

Claude:
Is this at your expense or do you have an extended warranty? Keep us posted

George,

I have a Ford ESP extended warranty. Took the Tbird into the dealer today, but the steering rack had not gotten there. Ford did not have one in their warehouses so it has to come from the supplier. Hopefully it will be here next week since it was ordered on 5/21.

Got the Tbird back today and in addition to the replacement of the steering assembly, the dealer found a leaking AC compressor that had to be replaced. Luckily I had the Ford ESP warranty and only paid the $100 deductible for a job that would have cost about $2500 - $3000. The dealer even saved me the extra $100 that I would have had to pay to replace the AC compressor if they had not found it on this visit. I've got a great service advisor I have known for years because I had a lot of Ford company cars during my working career. He has been with several Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealerships in the metro Atlanta area and is now with Cherokee Ford/Lincoln in Alpharetta, Ga. His name is John Herrin in case anybody in this area is not happy with their dealer/service and needs somebody that knows retro Tbirds.

....had mine replaced as well....no help from Ford....couldn't even tell me if an LS rack would work unless I bought one.....Replaced by an Independent, it works and I don't want to know....Ford has kissed Thunderbird good bye.....Dealers love warranty work....good return....no issues.

Thanks Claude. for the update. 🙂 Too bad all dealers couldn't be that helpful and knowledgable 😡

Help needed for my "Baby Bird", 2004 Pacifica Convertible

New to forum, but appreciate the communication very, very much!
"Baby Bird" had 19,000 miles on it when purchased two years ago. One owner, kept in an a/c carpeted garage until we shipped it to Montana via dealership in Sandpoint, Idaho who found it for me.

At 22,000 miles, AC needed replacing.

On a recent road trip, Baby Bird suffered an indication to see a dealer ASAP.
Easy fix, #5 coil replaced with new spark plug @ n/c and suggestion when we returned home get them ALL replaced as Ford had had a recall on them.

One hour south of LA, late afternoon Friday on freeway, another indication took us to a dealer in Longbeach,CA who replaced: Throttle Body and Motor A, with air cleaner--for $1021.57 (parts, labor and taxes).
After picking up car, same warning light and symptoms re-occurred and dealership could find nothing wrong with it---so we kept on going toward home.

Several hundred miles later, same symptoms so we took it to our dealership in Sandpoint, Idaho to see if it would replicate while someone knowledgeable was tracking it. After almost a week, replaced PCM @ an additional $1000 +
parts and labor....

We weren't given the option of an ESW, even though mileage low when we purchased it...
Any input will be very much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
And no, I haven't shot "Baby Bird"...."yet.

We do have a source for ext Ford warranty. PM or email me if interested

Zcuba: Sent you a PM, did you get it?

Ext Ford Warranty

george,

Could you send me the info on the extended ford warranty?

Thanks.

Looking to buy ESP - buying 2005

I'm close to purchasing a 2005. been searching on how to purchase the ESP for the vehicle, but no luck. George can you send me the details?

I'm close to purchasing a 2005. been searching on how to purchase the ESP for the vehicle, but no luck. George can you send me the details?

Sorry, that dealer in IL stopped giving deals on ext warranty. They are available through all other dealers. However, if you have a low mileage car their cost is about 1380. on a 4 year 48000 mile warranty. So offering them a $300 mark up is reasonable.
If you have high mileage then of course it should be a higher cost, but certainly NOT $2800.

BTW, once you complete an agreement on pricing for the 2005, I would tell them, I'll do the deal if you add in the warranty. OR, worse case, tell them to include it at their cost.
After all, if there's any service, they'll make money on the service.
Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
George, I am new to the forum, I'm interested In an Ext Ford Warranty but can't figure out how to PM you. Help!!
Hi TB 2004:
At the top of this post shows my name. Click that and a drop down menu comes up. Click on Send PM. You'll get a box to write your message in. Then click send

The dealer that offered these no longer writes them but he will help with info. So, send me your email address, in a PM, and I'll give you the info.😛

Hi TB 2004:
At the top of this post shows my name. Click that and a drop down menu comes up. Click on Send PM. You'll get a box to write your message in. Then click send

The dealer that offered these no longer writes them but he will help with info. So, send me your email address, in a PM, and I'll give you the info.😛

George,
I am not a paying member so that might be why there is no drop down box that say PM. There is a drop down box and my options include, add George to contacts, see all of George posts and one other but NO PM.

Would you want to post your email here?

Thanks AC, I sent you the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back