Hello, Intro, and new acquisition foibles?

SeanPwnery
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good evening all - two weeks ago, I could have told you that a Thunderbird was never even on my radar - just because I thought I'd never have an opportunity to own one. I recently paid off my daily-driver last Monday (at the time of this posting) - a modest little Fiat 500 Pop that I bought as a 10-month old CPO. It had served me well for 5 years and 55,000 miles, but after making my first major road-trip with it (a 1,060 mile round trip in a single day with a 4-hour exhibition show in between) I quickly realized that little city car was no longer what I needed.

So for the past couple of months, I was considering what I'd like to replace it with, and the list was vast. I've had hot rods, muscle cars, giant 4x4's, you name it. The list was bizarre... 11-14 FJ Cruiser, 12-15 F-250 4x4 Diesel, 15-17 Ecoboost or 5-liter Mustang, and the out in left field option, 11-14 Jaguar XJL V8.

Thankfully none of those panned out and on a whim I started looking around at CPO's near my shop - and lo and behold a 2002 Thunderbird popped up with 50k miles, the optional hard-top, and after my trade-in, a tidy $9k asking price. I found the car on a Saturday evening after the dealer closed, and they weren't open on Sunday so I immediately spent the entire weekend looking up the details of the "intro" year for the 11th generation. Sure, it didn't have heated seats, the VVT engine, or the select-shift option, but the price was right and the condition was seemingly immaculate. I put in an inquiry and patiently waited.

Monday morning came, I got a call, I made an appointment and notified the Internet-sales manager that I'm literally right around the corner and will be there 10 minutes to 5pm... 20 minutes later, he calls back and apologizes profusely that the car was already sold without his prior knowledge... by his general manager. :mad:

Seemingly burned, and really annoyed, I let the guy have it about my frustration and disappointment that they would put a listing for it before they left for the day, and were unable to field a single inquiry before the boss can take it for himself. Feeling a bit dejected, I went back to the lull of checking listings and ads again, now knowing "Hey, I could actually have one of these... I never thought I could!"

The following day, I hit pay-dirt. Not only did I find one, but the sales guy from the dealer before *called* the dealer I found and had them hold it for me and call me first. This one was also "Whisper White" but a 2003 model - fantastic. Now I've got two tone heated seats, select-shift trans, VVT engine, and it still had the optional hard top too. To make things even a little sweeter, the car had only 42k on the clock, and one of the previous owners decided that the head-unit needed modernizing and replaced the factory unit with a really sweet 6.2" touch screen in-car computer/nav/hd radio and backup camera system, with a mic, and a usb connector for my thumb-drive full of music.

6 hours later - I literally financed my first car... at age 39. I've worked hard most of my life, take care of my elderly folks at the cost of several relationships, work for a boss who underpays me immensely but takes advantage of my financial frustrations, and most of my previous cars were purchased cash outright. I felt really proud to finally get something *really* nice, and without anyone's help so to speak. The icing on the cake is, I brought my 83 year old Father along for the ride, and he lamented the entire time about how his first car was a 55 that he partially built himself while working for Ford. Now I've essentially got his nostalgic time capsule and we were taking it home.

*If you've made it this far, I commend you - I have a reputation of being a little long-winded, but I'll get to the point now.

I've had the car for 5 days now. Here's what I've discovered :
  • I need to invest in Shell/Chevron/Valero - I'm coming off a car that made 31.5mpg ... so far, I've driven 3/4 of a tank, and I've done maybe 180 miles (almost all congested Houston city traffic, but mostly flowing, average speed somewhere in the low 20 mph's) - this doesn't bode well, but good god the ride feels like I'm riding on double-cream
  • The rear defroster on the hard top appears to not work. Fuse in the trunk looks good, relay tests good as well. I did a bit of poking around here and elsewhere and it appears there may be an issue with the lock-down pin on the passenger side where the electrical ground is made for the defroster? I won't be able to investigate this any further most likely until Spring as I don't have a garage, and I'm still in need of the hardtop caddy so I can store the top at my shop.
  • The hard-top makes a little creaking noise moving around ever so slightly on the driver's side right behind my ear... nothing major, I had a feeling this could be a thing and will learn to cope. I heard there's a "buffering tape" you're supposed to use and I suspect the previous 3 owners probably never took off the top or replaced that.
  • When I brought the car home from the dealer, the entire process took 6 hours. I got there in the middle of the day, I drove it home in the dark. All the lights work, all the signals and relays work... everything seems great... but ... hang on ... the cluster lights are on, just really dim. A lot of people I've noticed post about 02's with clusters that go completely bonkers or have no lights at all... this is not the case for me. My lights all work - but the backlighting is dim (this is with the rheostat as far upwards as possible without turning on the interior lights, they will get even dimmer if I run the dial lower) - I'm hoping a number of the bulbs are out and the few that remain are doing their best.

Everything else works - the engine is so clean, I could eat off of it, as is the interior. I'm fairly certain a female owned the car last, because every time I start up the air, I catch a small whiff of what smells like Chanel No. 5 - I can live with this - because it beats generic air fresheners by a huge margin. I've also begun doing what I call "modern touches" - replacing all the exterior lights with LED's (yes.. I've acquired a proper turn signal relay so it doesn't flash ultra-fast) was first on the docket. Next will be a set of Wilwood brakes - I generally address handling and brakes before even considering any power-adders. This is a much heavier car than the one I came from and I like a commanding road feel and control when it comes to braking and handling. Other than that, I'm absolutely enamored by my new acquisition. I had a few strange looks when I told people "To go forward, you sometimes have to go back..." to explain why I traded a 5 year old car for a 15-year old one, but I don't regret it at all. I never used the back seats of any car I've ever owned, so ... this works... perfectly.

Anyhow, if any of you have some insight about the cluster lights being dim, or the defroster - I'm all ears. Thanks for taking the time reading this miniature novel (I'll try to edit as we go along in case I forgot anything).

Attachments

• IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

All the lights work, all the signals and relays work... everything seems great... but ... hang on ... the cluster lights are on, just really dim. A lot of people I've noticed post about 02's with clusters that go completely bonkers or have no lights at all... this is not the case for me. My lights all work - but the backlighting is dim (this is with the rheostat as far upwards as possible without turning on the interior lights, they will get even dimmer if I run the dial lower) - I'm hoping a number of the bulbs are out and the few that remain are doing their best.Anyhow, if any of you have some insight about the cluster lights being dim, or the defroster - I'm all ears. Thanks for taking the time reading this miniature novel (I'll try to edit as we go along in case I forgot anything).

Congrats Sean on your purchase.. I found that our '02 has been the best blood pressure medicine I could have while driving it.. Ours is a garage queen that sees about 1,200 miles a year over the last two years we have had ours.. We mostly use our during the spring, summer and fall. Long NY winters help keep the miles off it..

That being said, I think I have experienced the same issue with the panel lights.. It all looks evenly illuminated but a far cry in brightness from our '09 Ford Focus or '14 Nissan Frontier that I feel are normal bright.. The thing that gets me is the heater stack's and the original radio, which I since replaced with a double din Pioneer with nav is the same brightness as the dash panel, all working evenly but not that bright.. With the pioneer, I can read a book too when not turned down.. When driving at night the instrument panel lighting seems like it was designed for not glaring distracting.. Kind of like the brightness that one often turns down the illuminations when driving late at night on dark roads at 3:00am while driving all night to Florida. BUT, I have thought the same thing, is this an issue, or are some of the bulbs are out or is the rheostat is not functioning correctly.. That's when the blood pressure goes up a bit.. :)

I would love to hear from others.. I have also joined a Mustang /all Ford club here in the area just a couple months ago.. I haven't had a chance to participate in a cruse yet to see other retro T-bird owners and see how theirs look.. darn works keeps on getting in the way.. Hopefully in a couple years I'll have all the time in the world, to get involved or if I win that Mega Billion dollar lottery tonight.. I look forward to see what you find out about the illumination..

Best of luck to you and your purchase.. Mine lowers my BP and looks great just sitting in the garage in the middle of a winter snow storm..

BTW my hard top creaks also when the body is under flex.. I have a feeling that is normal.. Just check that the two screw bolts that you use the T40 tork's wrench on up front at the windshield corners are secure..

Good evening all - two weeks ago, I could have told you that a Thunderbird was never even on my radar - just because I thought I'd never have an opportunity to own one. I recently paid off my daily-driver last Monday (at the time of this posting) - a modest little Fiat 500 Pop that I bought as a 10-month old CPO. It had served me well for 5 years and 55,000 miles, but after making my first major road-trip with it (a 1,060 mile round trip in a single day with a 4-hour exhibition show in between) I quickly realized that little city car was no longer what I needed.

So for the past couple of months, I was considering what I'd like to replace it with, and the list was vast. I've had hot rods, muscle cars, giant 4x4's, you name it. The list was bizarre... 11-14 FJ Cruiser, 12-15 F-250 4x4 Diesel, 15-17 Ecoboost or 5-liter Mustang, and the out in left field option, 11-14 Jaguar XJL V8.

Thankfully none of those panned out and on a whim I started looking around at CPO's near my shop - and lo and behold a 2002 Thunderbird popped up with 50k miles, the optional hard-top, and after my trade-in, a tidy $9k asking price. I found the car on a Saturday evening after the dealer closed, and they weren't open on Sunday so I immediately spent the entire weekend looking up the details of the "intro" year for the 11th generation. Sure, it didn't have heated seats, the VVT engine, or the select-shift option, but the price was right and the condition was seemingly immaculate. I put in an inquiry and patiently waited.

Monday morning came, I got a call, I made an appointment and notified the Internet-sales manager that I'm literally right around the corner and will be there 10 minutes to 5pm... 20 minutes later, he calls back and apologizes profusely that the car was already sold without his prior knowledge... by his general manager. :mad:

Seemingly burned, and really annoyed, I let the guy have it about my frustration and disappointment that they would put a listing for it before they left for the day, and were unable to field a single inquiry before the boss can take it for himself. Feeling a bit dejected, I went back to the lull of checking listings and ads again, now knowing "Hey, I could actually have one of these... I never thought I could!"

The following day, I hit pay-dirt. Not only did I find one, but the sales guy from the dealer before *called* the dealer I found and had them hold it for me and call me first. This one was also "Whisper White" but a 2003 model - fantastic. Now I've got two tone heated seats, select-shift trans, VVT engine, and it still had the optional hard top too. To make things even a little sweeter, the car had only 42k on the clock, and one of the previous owners decided that the head-unit needed modernizing and replaced the factory unit with a really sweet 6.2" touch screen in-car computer/nav/hd radio and backup camera system, with a mic, and a usb connector for my thumb-drive full of music.

6 hours later - I literally financed my first car... at age 39. I've worked hard most of my life, take care of my elderly folks at the cost of several relationships, work for a boss who underpays me immensely but takes advantage of my financial frustrations, and most of my previous cars were purchased cash outright. I felt really proud to finally get something *really* nice, and without anyone's help so to speak. The icing on the cake is, I brought my 83 year old Father along for the ride, and he lamented the entire time about how his first car was a 55 that he partially built himself while working for Ford. Now I've essentially got his nostalgic time capsule and we were taking it home.

*If you've made it this far, I commend you - I have a reputation of being a little long-winded, but I'll get to the point now.

• I need to invest in Shell/Chevron/Valero - I'm coming off a car that made 31.5mpg ... so far, I've driven 3/4 of a tank, and I've done maybe 180 miles (almost all congested Houston city traffic, but mostly flowing, average speed somewhere in the low 20 mph's) - this doesn't bode well, but good god the ride feels like I'm riding on double-cream
  • The rear defroster on the hard top appears to not work. Fuse in the trunk looks good, relay tests good as well. I did a bit of poking around here and elsewhere and it appears there may be an issue with the lock-down pin on the passenger side where the electrical ground is made for the defroster? I won't be able to investigate this any further most likely until Spring as I don't have a garage, and I'm still in need of the hardtop caddy so I can store the top at my shop.
  • The hard-top makes a little creaking noise moving around ever so slightly on the driver's side right behind my ear... nothing major, I had a feeling this could be a thing and will learn to cope. I heard there's a "buffering tape" you're supposed to use and I suspect the previous 3 owners probably never took off the top or replaced that.
  • When I brought the car home from the dealer, the entire process took 6 hours. I got there in the middle of the day, I drove it home in the dark. All the lights work, all the signals and relays work... everything seems great... but ... hang on ... the cluster lights are on, just really dim. A lot of people I've noticed post about 02's with clusters that go completely bonkers or have no lights at all... this is not the case for me. My lights all work - but the backlighting is dim (this is with the rheostat as far upwards as possible without turning on the interior lights, they will get even dimmer if I run the dial lower) - I'm hoping a number of the bulbs are out and the few that remain are doing their best.

Everything else works - the engine is so clean, I could eat off of it, as is the interior. I'm fairly certain a female owned the car last, because every time I start up the air, I catch a small whiff of what smells like Chanel No. 5 - I can live with this - because it beats generic air fresheners by a huge margin. I've also begun doing what I call "modern touches" - replacing all the exterior lights with LED's (yes.. I've acquired a proper turn signal relay so it doesn't flash ultra-fast) was first on the docket. Next will be a set of Wilwood brakes - I generally address handling and brakes before even considering any power-adders. This is a much heavier car than the one I came from and I like a commanding road feel and control when it comes to braking and handling. Other than that, I'm absolutely enamored by my new acquisition. I had a few strange looks when I told people "To go forward, you sometimes have to go back..." to explain why I traded a 5 year old car for a 15-year old one, but I don't regret it at all. I never used the back seats of any car I've ever owned, so ... this works... perfectly.

Anyhow, if any of you have some insight about the cluster lights being dim, or the defroster - I'm all ears. Thanks for taking the time reading this miniature novel (I'll try to edit as we go along in case I forgot anything).

Hi....this Jody..

I have your twin car with 33K miles and I also live in Houston. Perhaps we can get together and compare cars. I also have interest in upgrades. Jody jagc6@*********

Hi....this Jody

I have your twin car with 33K miles and I also live in Houston. Why dont we get together and compare cars. I also have an interest in upgrades....if interested send me an email ...thanks Jody jagc6@*********

I had the same experience purchasing my Thunderbird, totally smitten! I hope you get answers to your questions, as I'm learning about my Thunderbird as well and appreciate the great knowledge being shared.

I hope you enjoy your Tbird. Remember, you have a 15 year old car and there will be some issues and this forum has a host of information that can help a lot.

Congrats Sean on your purchase.. I found that our '02 has been the best blood pressure medicine I could have while driving it.. Ours is a garage queen that sees about 1,200 miles a year over the last two years we have had ours.. We mostly use our during the spring, summer and fall. Long NY winters help keep the miles off it..

That being said, I think I have experienced the same issue with the panel lights.. It all looks evenly illuminated but a far cry in brightness from our '09 Ford Focus or '14 Nissan Frontier that I feel are normal bright.. The thing that gets me is the heater stack's and the original radio, which I since replaced with a double din Pioneer with nav is the same brightness as the dash panel, all working evenly but not that bright.. With the pioneer, I can read a book too when not turned down.. When driving at night the instrument panel lighting seems like it was designed for not glaring distracting.. Kind of like the brightness that one often turns down the illuminations when driving late at night on dark roads at 3:00am while driving all night to Florida. BUT, I have thought the same thing, is this an issue, or are some of the bulbs are out or is the rheostat is not functioning correctly.. That's when the blood pressure goes up a bit.. :)

I would love to hear from others.. I have also joined a Mustang /all Ford club here in the area just a couple months ago.. I haven't had a chance to participate in a cruse yet to see other retro T-bird owners and see how theirs look.. darn works keeps on getting in the way.. Hopefully in a couple years I'll have all the time in the world, to get involved or if I win that Mega Billion dollar lottery tonight.. I look forward to see what you find out about the illumination..

Best of luck to you and your purchase.. Mine lowers my BP and looks great just sitting in the garage in the middle of a winter snow storm..
Oh yeah... the promise of fun to come in the spring!

Welcome! I’m a new retro owner myself, so I can’t guarantee this will help the hardtop squeaks, but it’s my plan when I put the hardtop on for the winter:

1. Custom fit the hardtop: http://www.fordthunderbirdforum.com...all-it/17335-custom-fit-a-hardtop-to-a-t-bird
2. Make sure the gaskets are regularly lubricated with a good silicone lubricant.

Enjoy!
Duane

Ford had a fix for the mounting post noise on the driver side. Ford made a small plastic cover that goes over the hole where the post goes in. Most cars have them, but they can pop off when removing the top. Cars that were not sold with a top did not get the cover. It's just a small plastic ring that clips on over the post hole. Yours may be missing. I would check that. I use a thick clear 3m tape along the edge where the top sits on the body. It protects the paint and eliminates most of the creaking. I also use silicone lubricant similar to Vaseline along the edge.

Did you try to adjust brightness with the dial next to the light switch?

The dimmer wheel on the dash that controls the dash lights has to NOT be all the way up. It's easy to do, because the dash lights are not very bright to begin with. But as in older cars, when you roll to full brightness, it turns on the "dome" lights - which are on this car in the rear view mirror. try that.
Also - read up on this forum. I have same car as you and these are VERY finicky cars. Best.

Back