Ding Protection | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Ding Protection

• Thread starter Thread starter John
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading a lot of concerns about chips and scratches on this site. I was concerned about my 2003 before I took delivery on New Years Eve. The answer seemed to be with the Xpel Urethane Film product. I couldn't find a dealer or installer in my area. After taking delivery of the T-Bird I put myself on the schedule, took several days off, went to Reflex Enterprises in San Antonio and went through 3 days of intensive training learning to install the material. Believe me you need the training. After returning home I installed all the available protective kits on my Bird. I think this is insurance well spent. I installed the Front Bumper kit, Hood, Fender, & Mirror kit, Door Sill & Wheel Opening kit, Rear Bumper kit, Sail Panel kit, and Headlight Parking light kit. (Guaranteed to take a 1" rock @ 100 mph.) ($1,000 breakage guarantee) Also I made templates, cut and istalled strips under the Hard Top area forward of the Sail Panel. Also covered the Rocker Panels on each side between the wheel wells and made a template, cut and installed protection on the Rocker Panels behind the rear wheels. I'm very satisfied with the results. People who don't know what I did, don't notice the product until I point it out. I have photos but I don't know how to post them on this site. Can someone help me there?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

mddmx, I believe you have an installer in Dallas. I was either going to have to drive to Dallas or to San Antonio, not much farther. That's when I decided to train to do it myself. Anyone in the area let me know in time to order the kits and I would be glad to install them.

You indicate that one needs the training to insall Xpel. Are you referring to the sail panel area under the hard top or primarily referring to the bumper areas? In either case could you explain the difficulties? My red 03 just came in and I am about to order the material for under the hard top and want to install it myself.
Secondly, what type of preparation is needed before installing Xpel?-- wax removal, anything else? Thanks, Lyle.

John:

I put the XPel hardtop protection on but it only covers the back area in front of the trunk lid.

If you have templates to do the side I would like to buy a pair from you.

Tom M

The templates are easy to make. Lift the top. Place a piece of heavy paper over the area. Crease the paper over the inside edge. Set to top down over the paper and trace a line around the outside of the top (weather seal). Just flip the template over for the other side. There is plenty of spare material left over to make the side pieces. The Sail Panel is easy to install just take your time a follow the instructions on the Xpel.com web site to the letter. The tricky part of installation is stretching the material around compound curves on bumpers and mirrors.
Good Luck

I need information regarding the exact X-Pel product to be used under the hardtop. On their Web Site they list the "2002 Convertible Top Contact Area." Is this the kit that goes under the hard top for the 2003 T-bird? Is there something I am missing? "Convertible Top Contact Area" does not sound like the material that goes on the sail panel under the hard top. I am needing some direction as I need to place an order ASAP.

Hi Lyle,

I can't help you with the xpel kit but I noticed we are from the same town. I tried to send you a PM but didn't hear from you so don't know if you got it. I have a 2002 Red bird. We should get together sometime. My email is shorph@intellex.com. Yours makes the 3rd red bird here in Tahlequah that I know of at this time.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back