1956 Teapot stock version of the needle and seat

Shawnski

Shawnski

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
About 6 months ago I completely rebuilt my teapot carb with great success. Our little 56 Raven has been running like new. The new kit I installed was from Mike’s which has fantastic reviews. The rebuild went pretty smoothly for the most part and I took the best part of a Saturday to complete the work. Ever since, the car has run perfectly. On this particular evening, we had a couple of stops. When we finished, we cleaned up and put everything in the car to leave. When I turned the key she fired up immediately. After about 15 seconds, she shut off. Tried to start again and it wouldn’t fire and all we could smell was gas. We let her sit for a few minutes and tried again….same result. This went on for an hour while I check ignition (coil and spark at the plugs) which all tested good.
I pretty much gave up as I wasn’t prepared with any tools to dig deeper and now it was almost 11pm. Called the tow company and had her carried home on a flatbed.
Next morning I dug a little deeper and noticed that fuel was coming out of the accelerator pump rod…. Obviously the float must be stuck down, so I lightly tapped on the needle and seat area and she fired right up.
I recall that the rebuild kit had a newer style needle and seat ( better than the stock version). Has anyone had an issue with these newer parts?

Where can a get a new but stock version of the needle and seat?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Try these - both are very good in repairing tea pots, they may sell parts

Sal Cicala 586-612-1650
David Arey 610-837-6146

About 6 months ago I completely rebuilt my teapot carb with great success. Our little 56 Raven has been running like new. The new kit I installed was from Mike’s which has fantastic reviews. The rebuild went pretty smoothly for the most part and I took the best part of a Saturday to complete the work. Ever since, the car has run perfectly. On this particular evening, we had a couple of stops. When we finished, we cleaned up and put everything in the car to leave. When I turned the key she fired up immediately. After about 15 seconds, she shut off. Tried to start again and it wouldn’t fire and all we could smell was gas. We let her sit for a few minutes and tried again….same result. This went on for an hour while I check ignition (coil and spark at the plugs) which all tested good.
I pretty much gave up as I wasn’t prepared with any tools to dig deeper and now it was almost 11pm. Called the tow company and had her carried home on a flatbed.
Next morning I dug a little deeper and noticed that fuel was coming out of the accelerator pump rod…. Obviously the float must be stuck down, so I lightly tapped on the needle and seat area and she fired right up.
I recall that the rebuild kit had a newer style needle and seat ( better than the stock version). Has anyone had an issue with these newer parts?

Where can a get a new but stock version of the needle and seat?
I purchase all of my carburetor rebuild kits and parts from Mikes. About 7 years ago I rebuilt the Holley 4000 in my 1955 Thunderbird using the newer style needle and seat, I have had no problems at all.

It looks like Mikes sells the stock version needle and seat your looking for.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I purchase all of my carburetor rebuild kits and parts from Mikes. About 7 years ago I rebuilt the Holley 4000 in my 1955 Thunderbird using the newer style needle and seat, I have had no problems at all.

It looks like Mikes sells the stock version needle and seat your looking for.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I’ve yet to dig into this further, but I have a feeling it might be the float itself. I went out and started it yesterday and it fired right up but only ran for about 10 seconds before shutting off. Again I tapped on the needle and seat area and after a few cranks it started up….hmmmmm, something’s fishy!

Just a thought; when was the last time you performed a fuel pressure and volume test on your fuel pump? A idle, your fuel pump pressure should be 4.5 to 5 psi, and the volume should be 1 pint in 45 seconds or less.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

How about cleaning the fuel system. It sounds like your float is sticking possibly from a little bit of crud. Try a can of Seafoam.

How about cleaning the fuel system. It sounds like your float is sticking possibly from a little bit of crud. Try a can of Seafoam.
2 inline filters and I run Seaform about every 3rd tank…. I’m thinking this new style needle and seat might be the issue, or the float has a leak causing it to stay open. Funny thing is though that if I tap in the screw holding the needle and seat, it starts right up…

Just a thought; when was the last time you performed a fuel pressure and volume test on your fuel pump? A idle, your fuel pump pressure should be 4.5 to 5 psi, and the volume should be 1 pint in 45 seconds or less.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I haven’t since I had Arthur Gould rebuild my fuel pump. It certainly isn’t over pumping, so I’m still leaning towards the needle / seat or float has a small leak… but I will investigate all suggestions.. Thanks

If your float is leaking it will sink and stay that way.
I only can see 2 possible issues here. 1 crud. 2maybe you have a burr or sticky spot on the shaft the float rides on. When I have had to do the tap dance on a carburetor it's been dirt and crud. But that's my story.

If your float is leaking it will sink and stay that way.
I only can see 2 possible issues here. 1 crud. 2maybe you have a burr or sticky spot on the shaft the float rides on. When I have had to do the tap dance on a carburetor it's been dirt and crud. But that's my story.
I agree, if the float is leaking it isn’t going to ever come back up to shut off the flow. I’ll be pulling the carb off to inspect and repair the issue. It’s got to be some crud hanging up in the needle since it seems to just repeat itself.

Crazy idea, when you take it apart put the rod the float rides on onto a piece of glass and roll it. Make sure it's not bent.

Back