1964 Electrical mods- new fuse panel

Yadkin
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The old fuse panel, glass fuses, had corrosion on the contacts that I could not clean off. So I replaced it with a marine grade panel from Blue Sea Systems.

The Blue Sea panel has a separate section for fuses powered by key on. In order to reduce load on the factory ignition switch, I used the switched wires as a trigger for a relay.

The Blue Sea panel had a ground section that I had to cut off to make fit. I was able to reuse that section and install it in the same area.

I ran a red and black #6 wires from the battery directly to the panel, bypassing the old wire completely.

At the same time I installed a new solid state constant voltage regulator so my gages work as they should. For those unfamiliar with Fords of that era, the gauges work on 6 volts, and the CVR that powers them is a little box mounted on top of the gauge cluster (impossible to get to without major disassembly). I managed to crimp new wires to the old source and load, and routed them to the fuse panel area. So if the regulator stops working, it will be easy to change out.t1.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I found the Blue Sea fuse panel you used. I am planning to do the same upgrade to my '63. I need to know, what did you use to cut the top section off? I do see where you used it, I rather like it. I just need to know how to separate it as cleanly as you did.

Thanks!

Back