Blue smoke when starting a cold 03 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Blue smoke when starting a cold 03

• Thread starter Thread starter staudy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
staudy

staudy

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I read all that's posted on the blue smoke and took the Tech Bulletin #s to my local dealor. They said that they were only for the 02 models. Now what do I do? Those of you with the 03's that had the problem and had TSB 03-07-03 done. Has this resolved the problem?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

staudy:
Your dealer is wrong. It is both 2002 anbd 2003's

I've read where there were two 2002's that had a problem and had it resolved.
Also that there were some 2003's that also had the same problem. I'll cut and paste from what I've read from various places:

2002 guy says "My dealer indicates TSB 17061 is the one for my car"

2003 Owner responding to 2002 owner says: "I had the same issue with my '03. Your dealer is right. He'll download a new program into the computer which will reduce occasional smoking on starts and will also make the engine run less rich.
It took a lot of complaining on my part till the dealer found a technical bulletin which addressed the blue smoking on my 2003 car".
Resolution:
"I got my car back, a 2003, from the dealer today for the intermittent smoking problem. I am happy to say they dug deep in the TSB bulletins and found a fix. It seems that if humidity and outside temperature is of a certain mix smoking may occurr. The fix was a computer download. It also fixes a rich mixture on cold start ups. The power control module was programmed to the latest calibration. The TSB is #03-07-03 I am happy again.
The service advisor said, it seems to be a problem on all the birds (mainly '02's and '03's.) The fix is simple if the customer complains about a rich mixture on start up and occassional blue smoke. Glad I'm a complainer!
Remember mine is an '03 and has a different engine than your 2002."
NOTE:
You said "Now what do I do?" I have highlighted the exact words above that got the 2003's guy's car fixed. Try that, or even go to a Lincoln dealer who are closer to these problems since this engine was used in Lincoln LS's too.
I hope this helps you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back