2005 Limp Mode

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, hoping to get some insights on this problem here. I drove the T-bird for about 8-9 miles and suddenly the dashboard lit up. It looked like every warning light on it came on, and the car went into safe mode. So I limped it on home in safe (which is floored at about 40-45 mph tops with flashers on, on the highway – loads of fun). Got home and got it in the garage. Later, I came out and inspected the air filter, and it looked like maybe it was time, so I replaced it. Started the car up, all was well, took it out of a nice uneventful drive close to home.

Great! Then I got in to go to work one Friday morning, and I got about 9-10 miles, and the dashboard lit up again, and it went right into safe mode. I was turning onto a highway when that happened, and man did I hear the blaring horns as the other cars braked for me. Same deal, limp it on back home and swap cars. Luckily, I was not late for work.

So, I have heard of this happening with other Ford models, and those guys said they just have been living with it. They're like, "Just pull it over and shut it off a bit, and then it'll run OK again when you start it." Ummmm, that's not a solution for me when I commute 30 miles one way, lol.

It seems to run great until all of a sudden it goes to safe mode. I have not checked to see what codes might be stored yet. I thought I'd ask if anyone here has had a similar problem before I take it to a mechanic, so I can at least be forewarned about how badly it is gonna hit my wallet.

My gosh, the car only has 25,000 miles on it! Thanks for any help.

You need to state the year of the car, and do NOT "live with it" - its dangerous. many highways now don't even have shoulders of sufficient width to pull over onto. Get yourself an OBDC scanner and check for codes, or any Autzone will do it for you (I prefer to do it myself though) and see what codes are thrown (if any).

My gosh, the car only has 25,000 miles on it!
If Ford built the car in 2004, it is still an 18-year-old car. This is why for example, warranties are 3 years / 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. While your car may have low miles, it has a lot of age, and lots can happen to parts and components with age. Sometimes these cars will go into limp mode for something as simple as bad COPS, but as @Frankie the Fink said, if you want to diagnose it yourself you need. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) also can cause the car to go into limp mode.

1- OBDC Scanner
2- Service Manual

Go read the diagnostic codes and post them on this thread.

Last edited:
Sounds like Coil On Plugs issue, had the same sort of issue a few years back and replaced them all. Bought several sets of 8 on eBay for $80 each and changed them all at once…. No issue since.

Limp mode happened twice on our '05 since new. The first time the thermostat housing cracked and it overheated. The second time was a hose clamp came loose and it leaked coolant and it went into limp mode. No damage was done because the car was shut off and towed to the repair shop. The limp mode is designed to get you off the road to a safe CLOSE location out of traffic. Please don't ignore this safety feature.

Hi, hoping to get some insights on this problem here. I drove the T-bird for about 8-9 miles and suddenly the dashboard lit up. It looked like every warning light on it came on, and the car went into safe mode. So I limped it on home in safe (which is floored at about 40-45 mph tops with flashers on, on the highway – loads of fun). Got home and got it in the garage. Later, I came out and inspected the air filter, and it looked like maybe it was time, so I replaced it. Started the car up, all was well, took it out of a nice uneventful drive close to home.

Great! Then I got in to go to work one Friday morning, and I got about 9-10 miles, and the dashboard lit up again, and it went right into safe mode. I was turning onto a highway when that happened, and man did I hear the blaring horns as the other cars braked for me. Same deal, limp it on back home and swap cars. Luckily, I was not late for work.

So, I have heard of this happening with other Ford models, and those guys said they just have been living with it. They're like, "Just pull it over and shut it off a bit, and then it'll run OK again when you start it." Ummmm, that's not a solution for me when I commute 30 miles one way, lol.

It seems to run great until all of a sudden it goes to safe mode. I have not checked to see what codes might be stored yet. I thought I'd ask if anyone here has had a similar problem before I take it to a mechanic, so I can at least be forewarned about how badly it is gonna hit my wallet.

My gosh, the car only has 25,000 miles on it! Thanks for any help.
My 2004 did the same. Brought it home and changed all the cops. Perfect now

Thanks for the replies. I figured it to be the COPS. Ford was notorious for them being bad (lowest cost suppliers), but the ebay replacements outdo anything Ford ever put on them at the factory. I have an F150 that had the same trouble, but it just missed. Started at 12K miles! $59 set of ebay coils have been on there now for 7 years, no worries. I will of course retrieve a code from the Bird first to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
figured it to be the COPS. Ford was notorious for them being bad (lowest cost suppliers),
It's not the Coils, it's what leaks into them from the valve cover gasket, wiper cowl seal etc. All of this has been discussed many times over the years. I've been overseeing this site for over 24 years and I've never heard anything about "Ford being notorious" for having bad COPS due to low costs of them. This is nothing more than a rumor.

My 2005 (August 2004 build) fell into limp mode in the main road about 4 blocks from Ford dealership. It limped to the service lot.
All 8 COPS were replaced. (whew!)

It's in my garage now, ready for the next trip, Top off. Good shape over all

But the radio died last summer.

To be clear there are many things that can cause this. One common fail is a crank or cam sensor. When it intermittently leaves the party issuing no pulses, the system freaks and Christmas-trees the dash lamps and often dies. Then, magically it restarts after a cool down and seems dandy-fine. It's not, it will fail again and could strand you big time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finally wanted to post what the deal was on this, for others and FWIW. It took me until October 2023 to get back to it! Thanks for the help, it was spot on!

Found that the car had set three codes:

P0606 - PCM
P2107 - Actuator A
P2110 - Actuator A

So, it was saying the PCM was bad, or the drive by wire throttle body actuator motor. Hmmm...

First stop was a TPS replacement, based on the codes. The old one was the problematic triangular one. It now has a new rectangular one. That done, took it on a test and it started definitely missing. Still NO CODE for coil packs!

I replaced them anyway, along with the plugs, and PROBLEM SOLVED! When replacing, I applied dielectric grease around the new boots just above the end. Helps stop them from moisture shorting. The boots on the new ones are longer, too, which should help.

Just got back from a 650-mile round trip and the $33 set of eBay coils performed flawlessly.

394522729_10228204281266136_521033188472573014_n.jpg394569859_10228204281066131_8403542076631343946_n.jpgIMG_3272.JPG

Back