1955 engines stalls when starting sometimes

What you're describing re: the choke is the opposite of what should happen. The choke should be closed at a cold start, then open all the way as the engine warms up.
Sorry, that's what I meant.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I wasn't sure where to put this latest post so I thought this may be a place to look.
If you have been following my posts, I've been fighting ignition issues. Rechecked the points, replaced the condenser, replaced the coil with a quality original style coil, and my last test drive almost made me stranded again. When over 1500rpm while driving it would hesitate and when I let off the throttle it would backfire ( never happened before ) but got me home.
Checked everything then noticed there was a small porcelain chunk laying inside (30+yo aftermarket) resistor. Apparently it overheated and failed with an intermittent connection. Got a new one on order but another week of not driving. Going to work with my liquid electrical tape and dress the wire connections while waiting.
I finally got it running respectfully. There is a flat spot on soft acceleration. Drove it over to my expert with the symptoms. He put a timing light on it and we found it was running 8-10 btc and the idle was high after running a bit but was fine before the test drive. Hmmm... I have never had to adjust the distributor timing in over 30 years. It's finally coming to life and getting a few miles on it to fine tune. It's definitely a creature and not just a machine. Now to put my tuning skills to work as after a good run it acts differently than just tuning in the garage.

Back