• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Final Chance! **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

• 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

2004 dies / stalls at slow speeds at high speeds restarts automatically

E

elaine moore

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We have a 2004 thunderbird with about 32000 miles. It was parked for 6 months and now we have these issues. When we stop or are going slow The car dies, we can turn the key and it starts back up. At high speed the rpms will drop to zero and then jump back up the mechanic tells me the car is dying but because of the high rpms it starts up on its own. The issue happens and car restarts so quickly they they can get an error code. We took it to the ford dealer who told us they had to force a check engine light to get an error and that the PCM is bad. They have ordered one but said it could be years before we get it. This same dealer tried to replace the PCM on another thunderbird last year with a non ford part 2 times and never got it to work. They will put the PCM in if I buy one but no guarantee and if it doesn’t work I have to keep paying the labor over and over. I knew there had been issues with the ignition coils so we had all of them replaced the parts they used were not ford. I mention this in case it makes a difference or could be part of the issue. i have received recommendations to clean the mass air flow sensor and to check the throttle position sensor and the whole throttle assembly to make sure it is clean and moves freely. Also to change the fuel filter. I wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendation. Your help is appreciated. Also we are loaceted just north of Charlotte in case you have a recommendation of a mechanic in our area that has experience working on Thunderbirds.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

They have ordered one but said it could be years before we get it. This same dealer tried to replace the PCM on another thunderbird last year with a non-ford part 2 times and never got it to work. They will put the PCM in if I buy one but no guarantee and if it doesn’t work I have to keep paying the labor over and over.

Sounds like you need to find a different mechanic/shop. So ridiculous that they back-ordered part for a car this old. Many other people have replaced the PCM and had no issues. They probably ordered the wrong one! I just created a thread just for this purpose- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-2005-ford-thunderbird-3-9l-pcm-ecm-ecu.9792/

Does the dealership really think that company sells thousands of PCM's for all kinds of cars that don't work? They have over 41,000- feedback ratings on ebay, and 99.6% positive! That's probably far better than the dealerships google reviews!

Last edited:
I have had this happen on other cars since I moved to Texas. And, it is always the battery. Back in the old days a battery would get weak before it dies. Now, especially in the warmer climates, battery cells tend to short. Many times the battery will test OK at the shop but will fail intermittently in service. Did this ever occur at night? If so do you remember if the lights (interior and/or exterior) went out? If the lights went out then its the battery for sure.

I agree to start with the battery, Then you can rule that out. I would also check the cables for good connection and then search out all the ground connections, of which there are many on the harness, especially ones that ground the computers, PCM, ECM, FEM, REM ect. I have a feeling that a disconnect of power is the reason there are no codes present. The same as when you disconnect the battery, it clears the codes.

I agree, start with a proper test of the battery and its connections.
When the car was parked for six months what did you do to prep the storage? Fuel, Battery, air for tires?

After reading, my thoughts are pcm, pcm connectors, clean maf sensor, tps, crank position sensor, and battery. These are all things that directly control engine.

I would start with a new battery and check all the connections. I bought a rally nice one owner Taurus years ago, owner thought the engine and computer were bad. I installed new battery and had a great car for 5 years and sold it. The computers are sensitive to voltage drops.

We have a 2004 thunderbird with about 32000 miles. It was parked for 6 months and now we have these issues. When we stop or are going slow The car dies, we can turn the key and it starts back up. At high speed the rpms will drop to zero and then jump back up the mechanic tells me the car is dying but because of the high rpms it starts up on its own. The issue happens and car restarts so quickly they they can get an error code. We took it to the ford dealer who told us they had to force a check engine light to get an error and that the PCM is bad. They have ordered one but said it could be years before we get it. This same dealer tried to replace the PCM on another thunderbird last year with a non ford part 2 times and never got it to work. They will put the PCM in if I buy one but no guarantee and if it doesn’t work I have to keep paying the labor over and over. I knew there had been issues with the ignition coils so we had all of them replaced the parts they used were not ford. I mention this in case it makes a difference or could be part of the issue. i have received recommendations to clean the mass air flow sensor and to check the throttle position sensor and the whole throttle assembly to make sure it is clean and moves freely. Also to change the fuel filter. I wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendation. Your help is appreciated. Also we are loaceted just north of Charlotte in case you have a recommendation of a mechanic in our area that has experience working on Thunderbirds.
I live in Charlotte N.C.Also. , and take my 03 to the Armco transmission on albermar rd. In Charlotte ,
He has worked on my03 bird and I know he has worked on someone else as he told me. They are great mechanics ! And honest ,,
Been going there for years ,,
Managers name is Jon. And he’s a good guy to talk to ,,
Good luck.

@elaine moore
I have an 03 that had similar problems...at different times. But it sounds like you covered most possibilities well.
Now I jusst purchased a new PCU and had to send it back cause it didn't do what it was supposed to.
So I'm expecting the replacement sometime next week.
You already know that Ford no longer supports (makes) this part.
Here's where you can get a remanufactured PCU

AUTOECMSSTORE.COM
877-687-3267
Have your vin # ready.
You'll also need the "build # from your current ECM/PCU. These ain't cheap $700 plus shipping both ways.
You will get $100 back when they receive your old ECM.

I advise you phone them. If they have it in stock...buy it. You have 30 days to install and see if it's running right.
I would also ask about programming...somebody has to do it. My dealer is doing it on the house. When all is right
then send them your old unit.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I realize this is a really old post but I discovered a really easy solution for any searching on this topic. If you recently had to jump start your t bird or put a charger on your battery, you may have over charged a capacitor. If you simply disconnect the battery for about an hour and reconnect. The capacitor will have drained and will recharge to normal capacity upon restart. Your loss of power issue should disappear upon restart also.

Back