2004 codes P2107 & P2110 causing limp mode | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 codes P2107 & P2110 causing limp mode

J
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi, I am new to this forum and love it so far. I am writing this post for my dad as he bought himself a 2004 bird about a year ago and loves the car aside from this limp mode issue. It started right after he bought the car and he brought it into a dealer and they told him it was from a dirty throttle body. They cleaned the throttle body and sent him on his way. Car was okay for a little while and then problem came right back. Problem goes like this. Car drives fine when its cold. Sometimes when engine is at full operating temp and its hot outside and mainly in slower traffic, car will throw a wrench, go into limp mode and throw check engine light. This only happens when its hot out and engine is hot and does not even happen every time. If he shuts the car off and waits a few minutes, car will start back up and be fine for a little while and then problem will start again. Engine codes are P2107 ( Throttle actuator A control module processor) and P2110 ( Throttle actuator A control System forced limited RPM ETC severity 2 of 3). Second time at dealer they replaced the throttle position sensor. He brought the car home and within a week was having the same issue. He tried a different garage the third time and they told him it was COPS and plugs. They replaced all COPS and plugs for 1000 dollars and within a week he was having the same issue. Now he brought it back to the shop and they are telling him it must be the throttle body which is a 1400 dollar job. My dad is older and retired and not made of money. He loves the car but this is getting ridiculous. I feel like they just keep throwing parts at it hoping it will fix the issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem and whether or not the throttle body ever actually is the issue. Thanks for any help you can offer. I really appreciate it. Car is an 04 bird with 104,000 miles.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I saw this issue posted, the culprit was supposedly COPS. https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/throttle-body-pandemic-of-ford-makes.3792/post-28323

I've read people stating replacing the Throttle Body solved p2107 & P2110 on the Lincoln LS.

I can't recall any situation where the throttle body was the problem. Several times, people replaced it unnecessarily, and it was the TPS. Users reported Codes P2111, P2135, P2104, and P2106 for TPS problems.

Maybe it's an issue with the PCM because your codes are different P2107 & P2110- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-2005-ford-thunderbird-3-9l-pcm-ecm-ecu.9792/ Total guess here, or maybe the replacement TB was faulty?

Maybe @doug7740 could shed some light on it.

Your mechanics are responsible for testing the parts and determining the culprit. Sounds like they are just guessing. As you can see above, over the years, users have reported different solutions to the same problem.

I'm curious how the first shop cleaned the throttle body, as there is a specific caution in the maintenance manual against cleaning portions of it, otherwise damage could result (I attached a picture of the Caution below). If I were your dad, and another shop was saying that needs to get replaced, I'd definitely be knocking on the door of that first shop to either have it replaced for free or at a steep discount.

The one thing I would check and clean is the electrical connector to the throttle body. Especially if you're in a humid or salty environment, a little bit of corrosion can get into them over time and cause havoc. A little TLC on the connector can save you having to replace a component.

As far as the actual issue, unfortunately these cars aren't that common, so most mechanics do not have experience working on them, much less the experience needed to diagnose issues. The troubleshooting trees I'm looking at point to either an electrical wiring issue (always the first thing they go for hence the suggestion to clean the plug), something mechanically wrong with the throttle body, or a bad PCM. Without getting an ohmmeter and scan tool on your vehicle myself, I can't tell you which of these issues it may be, and not having experienced this issue myself, I can't say which is more likely. Hopefully you can find a mechanic willing to troubleshoot instead of throw parts at it and see what sticks.

n5ycu2tf.png

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Fault code P2107-Throttle Actuator Control Motor Processor and fault code P2110-Throttle Actuator Control System, forced limited RPM, are set when the electronic throttle control fails the PCM self test. These faults could be the result of an incorrect throttle position sensor command or the throttle actuator control motor wires shorted together.

When these codes are set the first thing that should be done is to perform a coil stress test on all ignition coils before any other part replacement is considered. An ignition coil may create a radio frequency interference resulting in these codes being set.

Since the other probable causes of these codes are the Electronic Throttle Control Motor, the Powertrain Control Module or the wiring and connectors, I would start by checking the resistance in the ETC Motor harness for short to ground, power, ETC reference and ETC return.
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM + pin and battery ground
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM - pin and battery ground
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM + pin and battery power
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM - pin and battery power
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM + pin and ETC return
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM - pin and ETC return
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM + pin and ETC reference
  • Measure the resistance between the TACM - pin and ETC reference
The resistance for each check should be greater than 10K ohms.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Wiring 1.jpg

Wiring 2.jpg

Connector.jpg

Connector 2.jpg

'Had similar problem with '04'Bird when new and <1K mi. Bottomline: a defective throttle position sensor was the cause of the problem.

As an automotive hobbyist/DIYer, I suspected that was the cause from the outset but it would never "set a code". The selling dealer service mgr. said that until it does, they could do nothing ('could never replicate the problem at the dealer service shop). I returned the car to the dealer three times but was always told "until it sets a code". I finally got the message and simulated a TPS failure and made it "set a code". Upon return to the dealer, the manager said "now we have something to work with" and replaced the TPS . End of problem with no recurrence since new.

I can see from previous replies, some are smarter than I can provide. Nonetheless, my 05 went into limp mode, I think caused by a security alarm. Codes indicated throttle body, but I decided to have the electrical system checked at my local shop. They replaced the throttle body for $1400, car runs well now.

My 2004 went into limp mode and threw the codes I had it checked at two local shops both said the throttle body was the problem, after reading several post on this forum and talking with the mechanic we decided on replacing the cops. The car runs but there is a strong smell of gas when starting and is sluggish. I am now wondering if the TPS should be replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

I feel your pain ... had a somewhat similar problem that was solved by cleaning the mass air sensor. Take a careful look at your air intake components. My problem originated when a 'helpful' state inspection mechanic took it upon himself to open the air filter box to 'check' the filter and didn't get it properly closed, resulting in unfiltered air into the system. Also, be sure to check the intake components for air leakage between the mass air sensor and the TB, as that will also mess up the mixture and confuse the PCM. The gas smell and sluggishness suggests a mixture problem, for which the codes are merely clues.

Back