2005 limp mode, codes p0507, p2104, p2106

Marianne
Thunderbird Year
Marianne,

If you agreed to the estimate and the repairs were performed, there isn’t much you can do. I would ask the shop that repaired your car how much labor was charged for the repairs and what their labor rate is. AllData’s labor estimate is the average of how long it will take to do the repairs. Some shops feel that it will take more time to do the repairs, so they will charge more labor time.

If and when the codes return don’t go to another shop, take your car back to the shop that diagnosed and cleared the codes. If the shop misdiagnosed the reason your vehicle went into limp mode and set the fault codes, then they should diagnose the vehicle at no charge and possibly give you a discount on the repairs. The worst thing that you can do is jump from shop to shop for the same diagnosis and repair.

doug7740
1955Thunderbird Blue

I called the repair shop this morning. Told him that I thought his estimate was high and asked for the breakdown of charges.

They charge $ 134/hr for labor and it took 3.5-4 hours total to diagnose and replace the thermostat housing and the serpentine belt. The serpentine belt costs $50 and the thermostat housing was ~ $ 150. I’m disappointed with them and not very confident that the codes won’t come back. He says it happens all the time. Even so, $134 x 4 hrs = $536 for Labor + Parts $200 = $ $ 736. He did say $ 740 when he estimated, but then quickly said altogether it will be $ 1300, so I need ti find out what the extra $ 500 was for. At this point, I cannot do much more. I've called 3x asking for specifics and I should have been more careful.

I will hope for the best. Ended up paying $ 1300 for repairs the dealer never noticed. So I’m totally confused with all of them!

Lesson learned. I relied too much on their great reputation and accepted their estimate without waiting to hear from other owners. I have learned my lesson. In the future, I will get the estimate and research it before agreeing to anything.

Thanks @doug7740 and @biddle. I will follow your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thunderbird Year
Lesson learned. I relied too much on their great reputation and accepted their estimate without waiting to hear from other owners. I have learned my lesson. In the future, I will get the estimate and research it before agreeing to anything.
Write a Google review and Yelp! This is what impacts them the most! What are their reviews on Google?

A big problem with Mechanic referrals is lots of people are just happy the car got fixed and they have no idea they got screwed! My video on Christian Brothers Automotive is a good example. Had I accepted the estimate and let them replace my A/C compressor, I could have very well walked away happy and wrote them a good review. Unfortunately for them, I took the car somewhere else and found out my compressor worked fine and it was just a ~45.00 return line that was cracked instead of an 1800.00 repair!

Consumers are now protected when they write reviews- https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidan...review-fairness-act-what-businesses-need-know

I am really curious if the codes come back again! My guess is they will!