2003 New Member Checking In | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 New Member Checking In

• Thread starter Thread starter Sharps40
  • Start date Start date
S
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hello from Pekin, NC

Picking up my Torch Red 2003 tomorrow.

68K miles. Its the model with the two tone interior, hard and soft top, 5 speed shift-able automatic, heated seats, etc., etc. Wanted one for a long time and found this one local when test driving, of all things, a 56 Chevy 210 Sedan. Naturally, I drove the T-Bird and did the deal. Looking forward to learning lots here. Will get some pics up soonest, and gotta figure out how to pull the hard top and get it hung up in the garage - after the looming green scourge (Pine pollen in NC is a 4 week ordeal and starts about now.)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello from Pekin, NC

Picking up my Torch Red 2003 tomorrow.

68K miles. Its the model with the two tone interior, hard and soft top, 5 speed shift-able automatic, heated seats, etc., etc. Wanted one for a long time and found this one local when test driving, of all things, a 56 Chevy 210 Sedan. Naturally, I drove the T-Bird and did the deal. Looking forward to learning lots here. Will get some pics up soonest, and gotta figure out how to pull the hard top and get it hung up in the garage - after the looming green scourge (Pine pollen in NC is a 4 week ordeal and starts about now.)
Welcome @Sharps40. Use the search box at the upper right this page and find all you need to know about your hard top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, looks like removing and hanging up the top is an equipment intense endeavor. Probably leave that off the table till the hot rod is done and I have some room and we are not throwing dust everywhere daily! Either that or store the top in the den!

Lots of good stuff here. Worth paying the few bucks to become a member. Any problem you come across, someone here probably already had.

Got Lizzy polished and sealed in time for a two hr ride home in spring showers. Boy...does she ever go!!!

Just need a headlight and find where the oil is dripping. Can smell it inside with the ac pulling fresh air. Prolly valve covers. 17 years and 68k miles, something's bound to drip.
20200305_143605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Lizzy polished and sealed in time for a two hr ride home in spring showers. Boy...does she ever go!!!

Just need a headlight and find where the oil is dripping. Can smell it inside with the ac pulling fresh air. Prolly valve covers. 17 years and 68k miles, something's bound to drip.
You can find headlight assemblies here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-headlight-assembly-module.8617/#post-54719

You need to check your cowl seal or it will give you issues with your COPS https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Please share your car photos here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird-photos/albums/

Thanks all for the parts referenced. Still working up my list. Is there a part number for the trunk lid snubbers? Need one each snubber with boot and the rubber threaded insert that fits the slot in the trunk lid.

Found the LS hitch thread so, looks like thats a project line as well.

Just installed two complete headlight assemblies bought off Amazon in the 2002 ($58 each) and boy what a difference, you don't realize how hazed your old ones get and those restoration treatments only do so much....the units came with bulbs but I bought 9007 bulbs which are noticeably brighter so those went in instead....

Some vendor sites sell a hardtop hoist which I have used for a year now and used previously for my 61 Corvette hardtop. Hardtop is not used much in Florida so it stays up there nearly always.....lowering it onto the car is a bit of drama though but I've got the procedure nailed at this point.IMG_1606.jpgIMG_1608.jpg

Yep, those are the lights i was looking at on amazon too. Pulled the hardtop yesterday and simply stood it up in the den for now. Original soft top checks out great and we are really happy. Other than some dust, original soft top looks factory new. Prolly been stowed for the most part. Couple days in the sun will have it smoothed up. Very nice having a full winter to summer capability. I'll probably rig something up in the garage for the hard top but for now, its a mess down there, still working steadily on a 1937 restomod project and way too much dirt, dust, grit to stash a top, even bagged.

Planning to make a 900 mile shake down/interstate run this week and add any issues to a weeks down time scheduled tentatively for late march or early april. On the short list for now is headlights, trunk bumper, hood/trunk cylinders, oil change, add tow bar, check plug wells (cowl/wiper seals are fine), oil change, and run down that pesky rattle/clunk coming from the Driver Side rear wheel well.

Good run in today. First tank around town and combined netted 22.5 mpg. 450 mile interstate drive today yielded 26.6 mpg. Powertrain is quiet and powerful.

Narrowed the annoying rattle to the soft top well. Gotta get in there and dog the loose item down for the trip back.

The new rear brake pads are dust monsters. Must be cheapie pads and add that to the list.

Hood and trunk cylinders are weak and need replaced.

Ac is good but not great, so add it to the checklist.

Ruger loves his front seat set up and the ease with which he can get his head out the window.

Soft top seals well, very little wind noise.

A great first run. 20200311_155638.jpg20200311_123349.jpg

Good run in today. First tank around town and combined netted 22.5 mpg. 450 mile interstate drive today yielded 26.6 mpg. Powertrain is quiet and powerful.

Narrowed the annoying rattle to the soft top well. Gotta get in there and dog the loose item down for the trip back.

The new rear brake pads are dust monsters. Must be cheapie pads and add that to the list.

Ruger loves his front seat set up and the ease with which he can get his head out the window.

A great first run. View attachment 10424View attachment 10425
Glad things went well. You have a great traveling companion. I have a Ruger as well but a different caliber.

A great first run. View attachment 10424View attachment 10425
Hey Sharps, thanks for sharing your whole journey with your new to you Bird, really enjoying it. I too had a buddy ride with my, I'll post a pic of my Sheltie riding up front, he loved it

Back