2002 shuts off while driving | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 shuts off while driving

• Thread starter Thread starter Heybabe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here's a thread on the AC:
http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread~t~3750~highlight~blows.htm
I believe there are more if you use the search button above 😎.

The shutting down could be related to the car heating up - Was the temp gage hi?
Or it could be COP related. Did it start missing before it stopped? We may need more info from you .

By the way, You can still get a Ford, extended warranty on a 2002. Need info let me know.

Last edited:
If you don't get any codes in your display, an easy test would be to find a steep hill.
As you go up back off on accelerator and then reapply to get it labor while climbing. Usually if you have COPs issues it will start ti misfire and possibly a code will display - If you get a code write it down or go to the dealer to let them read it for the fix.
Just a thought

I've had this happen to me two or three times in ten years and 12,000 miles... usually while coming up to a stop sign. Car doesn't miss before this and will restart immediately. Seems like I can live with it...

car just stops

Thanks Quickdraw, but the car actually stops while driving.. Slows down and stop. Sometimes it will start after I lewt it sit for a little while. Other times it does not want to start at all. Very dangerous on a busy highway.. Love my T bird but afraid to drive it.. Having it looked into.😕

I sent an email to a very knowledgable TBirder and the answer was:
"Check your ECM, Electronic control module."

Also, based upon my readings while trying to help you, other suspects may be the PCM, power train control module or the TPS, Throttle position sensor. There have been a number of both of these replaced in TBirds.
Finally, if you go to a dealer, I would strongly suggest a Lincoln dealer as opposed to a Ford dealer. Keep us tuned in please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back