2002 Overheating mystery

Delmily

Delmily

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Our bird was overheating while driving. Replaced thermostat. Bled system. No leaks. Seemed to have solved problem but after 180 miles same issue. Bled system again. Let idle for extended period of time with heat then air running. Nothing. Gauge wouldn't go past half way. I've read all the posts but didn't find any with the driving and not driving issue.

Also, read some threads pointing at using green coolant instead of gold caused overheating. My owners manual states that the car came with green and is a little confusing otherwise.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

My car overheated and the problem was the fan was not spinning up to full speed. There is some sort of device been the pcm and the fan that tells it to spin up. Mine was failing according to the Ford dealer. One it was replaced I no longer overheated.

Our bird was overheating while driving. Replaced thermostat. Bled system. No leaks. Seemed to have solved problem but after 180 miles same issue. Bled system again. Let idle for extended period of time with heat then air running. Nothing. Gauge wouldn't go past half way. I've read all the posts but didn't find any with the driving and not driving issue.

Also, read some threads pointing at using green coolant instead of gold caused overheating. My owners manual states that the car came with green and is a little confusing otherwise.

If its a 3.9 Jaguar motor check you head gasket, that happen to mine at about 48K and when they check it they did all that you did and then the mechanic said he saw water coming over the bell housing so they drop the motor and had to shave the heads and new gasket and 5K later it was done

Other ideas, there is a solenoid on the hydraulic fan pump that the pcm controls to speed up the cooling fan,
they do go bad after time, and miles. Have also read where the water pumps do wear down and not pump
water very well after time, and miles. I would look at these two items.

Are you losing fluid? If so, I had same issue and it turned out to be hairline crack in the water bottle. Would never see water escaping, but it did and car ran hot. I always keep a gallon of water in trunk; it still has a small leak somewhere, in that i have to add a gallon every month or so.

My car overheated and the problem was the fan was not spinning up to full speed. There is some sort of device been the pcm and the fan that tells it to spin up. Mine was failing according to the Ford dealer. One it was replaced I no longer overheated.
did you get a part number for that "device"? I want to look into that for my bird. Thanks.

Are you losing fluid? If so, I had same issue and it turned out to be hairline crack in the water bottle. Would never see water escaping, but it did and car ran hot. I always keep a gallon of water in trunk; it still has a small leak somewhere, in that i have to add a gallon every month or so.
No signs of leaks. Dry garage floor. Seems like lots of overheating issues and everyone's is different. Thanks for the input.

did you get a part number for that "device"? I want to look into that for my bird. Thanks.
Thanks Gus. Other member mentioned a solenoid. Is that the device you're describing? If you happen to have your dealer invoice that would be valueable. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues, I simply decided to buy one in advance knowing I would
need it one day.

My 2003 has been having overheating issues as well. We replaced the thermastate and that sort of fixed it. I noticed my windshield would fog up..on the outside. The overflow for the radiator is right next to the windshield. That would boil and steam up my windshield. We know that I have a few hoses that are cracked. Of course ones under the intake manifold. $$. Anyway, I am not sure my steam issue is related. Any ideas?

When the cooling system gets low from the leaks and is refilled, it will need to have the air bleed out of the system. Check the manual or here for the procedure. Also there have been issues with failed water pumps. Have it replaced fix the leaks and go from there. Does the radiator fan turn on when running and hot??

When the cooling system gets low from the leaks and is refilled, it will need to have the air bleed out of the system. Check the manual or here for the procedure. Also there have been issues with failed water pumps. Have it replaced fix the leaks and go from there. Does the radiator fan turn on when running and hot??
The fan runs almost nonstop.

Is the fan electric or hydraulic driven? Does it change speeds as the temperature varies, faster as it gets hotter??

I am having the same mysterious problems with my Anniversary Edition overheating. I have had 6 mechanics and spent a lot. Nothing has worked. I haven't driven it in over a year and I miss it like crazy! My problems began after I had the AC readied for the summer. Could you better explain the device replaced to speed up your fan? Was it the solenoid Has anyone else had a problem with the engine overheating due to a connection with the heater and air conditioning?
I am a woman and I don't know much about car repairs except that mechanics do not treat women with respect when doing repair work. They explain nothing and never admit they are wrong. I do know more than most woman. I grew up on a farm and helped my dad with general maintenance on trucks and tractors. I had to learn the major parts and their purpose. Motors are much different now! I am smart enough to know there is something wrong!
I have seen some people comment about the throttle body. I had mine replaced right before my warranty ran out. The only problem I had was the car going into limp mode. Does the throttle body have anything to do with the cooling system?

On the 02 T Birds, the hydraulic fan always spins at low speed, when the engine gets to normal temp, or the AC is
turned on hydraulic fan goes to fast speed by the solenoid opening up, which is powered from the power
train control module.

From what I have seen and read, three things cause overheating, 1. a poor water pump, 2. bad hydraulic
fan, or solenoid, 3. low on coolant, or air in coolant system, bad thermostat.

Also to keep in mind, as these cars age, the radiator interior cooling passages may be getting plugged. Especially if the wrong coolant has been used or not been changed regularly. Coolant additives meant to prevent this, break down over time. I've seen where a white film will build/stick on the inside of the passages and block coolant flow and/or heat transfer. Flushing the system may help a little, usually only temporarily. If this is the case, best thing is to replace the radiator to regain maximum cooling..

1590230508566.png

Last edited:
Back