2002 Overheating mystery

I have a problem with the cooling fan continuing to run after shutting down the engine. To the point of running the battery down. Could coolant be the problem or thermostat?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi, check there is coolant in thermostat housing. I have had the expansion tank show as correct level and yet coolant had been leaking out of the dual valve fitting and not getting sucked back from expansion tank, causing engine to eventually over heat and keep fan on. Also check all the connections for the fan by pulling apart and connecting a few times, in case there is a bad connection. I also had this with the fan turning off and on repeatedly, even when engine was cold?
Good luck

I have a problem with the cooling fan continuing to run after shutting down the engine. To the point of running the battery down. Could coolant be the problem or thermostat?
Have you checked your relays? And for a couple of bucks (Rock Auto) get a new thermostat. I owned a '67 XKE. Drove it cross country a couple of times. I an overheating problem in Phoenix. Just pulled into a shop and learned that in severe heat I needed to remove thermostat
and REPLACE with a Restrictor. No more problems. BUT when weather cools, thermostat must be replaced.

Have you checked your relays? And for a couple of bucks (Rock Auto) get a new thermostat. I owned a '67 XKE. Drove it cross country a couple of times. I an overheating problem in Phoenix. Just pulled into a shop and learned that in severe heat I needed to remove thermostat
and REPLACE with a Restrictor. No more problems. BUT when weather cools, thermostat must be replaced.
I'm thinking you have something else going on. It's been over 100 degrees for the last two weeks here in SoCal and I don't have to take the thermostat out to keep my car cool..

Bad things happen to old cars. I have to maintain my 2003 all the time it's a daily driver but wife only drives 6 miles a day most days. makes for more problems. Has 67.000 miles, lucky I can fix it all the time. A/C has been a problem this year, replaced most of the components.

Back