2002 cooling maintenance and Oil cooler | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 cooling maintenance and Oil cooler

• Thread starter Thread starter mjhlosgatos
  • Start date Start date
mjhlosgatos

mjhlosgatos

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Just purchased a 2002 premium in yellow. Even though it’s a one owner car he died a bit over two years ago so it has not been driven much recently. I’m organizing for maintenance and preventative maintenance as I do plan to drive it a few thousand miles a year in a warm climate.

The cooling systems are high on that list including coolant flush, hose replacement and thermostat/thermostat housing replacement. Any other recommendations on cooling? I’m aware of the gold coolant. A first for me as I’ve never owned a Ford product before.

Also, was the engine oil cooler an option for 2002?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You should raisee up the car and torque the two "X" braces to spec, many '02s" left the factory with these braces somewhat loose. The spec is 46 ft-lbs . Several bolts on my car were 1/2 turn or better too loose. (see picture). A change of all fluids is prob in order; these cars still use DOT3 brake fluid which is hygroscopic -meaning it can attract water and cause corrosion/rust in the system. You should prob replace the cabin air filter (an often forgotten maintenance item) - its a pain in the neck but mine had NEVER been changed and was a nasty mess. The procedure is on this forum somewhere and NAPA or O'Reilly carriy the filter.

Attachments

• chassis_marked.jpg
    chassis_marked.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If I didn’t post earlier- thank you. I will attend to those tasks. In fact just did the air filter which would not have occurred to me for some time.

Back