2002 air conditioning & cooling system | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 air conditioning & cooling system

• Thread starter Thread starter ESHAWE
  • Start date Start date
E

ESHAWE

,Eric 02Blue
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi,my 2002 has 81k miles, now driven occasionally,was everyday. While on drive, noticed a/c went warm, I had ac repaired before, but! This time. The temp warning dash light came on. Checking cooling fluid the tank full! Burn smell also." in air" anyone have thoughts where to start? Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The PCM tells the hydraulic fan solenoid next to the hydraulic pump on the passenger side of the engine. The Hydraulic fan solenoid is known to fail. PCM has issues on occasion as well.

You can use an OBDII Reader and app to monitor the temperature of your coolant.

Last edited:
The PCM tells the hydraulic fan solenoid next to the hydraulic pump on the passenger side of the engine. The Hydraulic fan solenoid is known to fail. PCM has issues on occasion as well.

You can use an OBDII Reader and app to monitor the temperature of your coolant.
So far, the mechanic says it's the hydraulic pump, says he's did a fan to e-fan conversion, doesn't want to do another!! The pump is discont., he got one from a specialty supplier takes a few days to get here, will keep you posted, Thank you for all

So far, the mechanic says it's the hydraulic pump, says he's did a fan to e-fan conversion, doesn't want to do another!! The pump is discont., he got one from a specialty supplier takes a few days to get here, will keep you posted, Thank you for all
So he's sure it's not the hydraulic fan solenoid? That's usually the problem but obviously might not be in your cause. I guess if the new pump doesn't resolve you will know. Can you find out the part number and MFG of that hydraulic pump so we can share with other members?

On 2002 Birds a good way to check the hydraulic fan is to start the car and let it idle, the radiator
fan should spin at a slow rpm, maybe 200 300 rpm. Then when engine is warm turn the ac on, the
fan should at least double in rpm speed, this will help you narrow down the issue.

Here are some on eBay, price has gone up but they are available. Sure am glad I bought one a few years
ago for $88.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back