The Thunderbird Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recieved my second mailing recently, also. I have enjoyed looking at the book, but did find a factual error. In the discussion about "Portholes", the writer claims that the Porthole first appeared in 1957. No so - I purchased my '56 in May of 1956 and it had portholes in the hardtop. The hardtop with the porthole was an option in '56. I don't think any '55s had that option, but I am not sure.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You are correct on your 55-57 facts. Guess those working for Ford now, don't research all the data too carefully.

I asked how come most 1956 Birds had "portholes". He said the factory started cuting and installing them in ALL tops in April of 1956 and anyone who purchased their car before that date could get a dealer to cut and install them at no cost.

So over half of the '56s did not have factory "portholes" as they were an aftermarket option, but all of the '57s had them.

So the yellow book is half-correct in the fact that only '57s ALL had "portholes" but BotNew56 is correct in that his and all produced after his had "portholes" and '56 was the first model year for them.

The '56 without "portholes" seems more rare now, as most opted to have them installed.
------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I do seem to recall that some of the 56's did not have portholes. However, the yellow book claims that the porthole first "appeared" in 1957, and although it is just semantics, it seems to be misleading, perhaps flirting with wrong.
wink.gif

(The last week or so of waiting for your car can be nerve-wracking)

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White

Correction on the 57 - both tops were available - with or without portholes. The 57's without portholes have a Thunderbird emblem in a circle that matches the steering wheel emblem of the 57.
Yes, many people had their tops converted to the porthole top - gave a little better sight in the blind spots with the hardtop on.

People still convert old non-porthole tops to the porthole top including Ford - They did that to the 3 '55's they used on the Dream Tour last year.

Thanks Dot,I stand corrected and I have never seen a '57 without "porthole". The yellow book is great with the exception on the year of the first "porthole".

What are the time lines for the next pieces of the Collection?

------------------
'56 + '02 Birds

Collection Box 2 arrived today, and so did my car! I was out of town, the dealer called, and I caught an early flight back. I'll be down there bright and early, helping James in "Make Ready" with the new Blue 02. Ford computer said ETA was week of Dec 19. It going to be a great weekend in Houston, Texas!!!
Hugh

That's another "Merry Christmas!," Hugh. Wonder when I'll get to see it? Salado? - probably not - you'll probably drive your white 56 if you make it there. Enjoy!

fdcaptain,
timeline said every 3 months. Let's see, the 1st was due in July (came in August)
2nd should have been in October but came in December,
With that kind of scheduling, I would say it's due in January but won't get delivered until March or April.

-

I recieved my first mailing, around 3 weeks ago, but have not recieved my second. I was entered into the program a little late by the dealer, maybe thats why I didn't get mine yet. Joy

Joy,

I was informed by the people distibuting the Thunderbird Collection that those of us that were registered late will start the cycle with this current mailing. That means that we will not receive the second mailing until the next scheduled distribution. They ensured me that we will get all five mailings, just slightly behind the rest of the group.

Happy Holidays,

KB

T02
Ditto on that! A friendly reminder.....keep the box that the items are shipped/packaged in,as it will make a unique display when all (5) boxes are displayed.......Not sure as to what the boxes are to be interpreted as when assembled or joined together. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I just received my third mailing via UPS at noon today. It is actually book #5, a journal with pictures (art as they describe them) and places for your input and personal photos.

The cover letter starts with "The wait is over. Your new Thunderbird has arrived." Later it says "If you haven't received every mailing - sit tight. You've got a few more surprises coming your way." It appears that they intend to send this out after you get your car, regardless of where you are in the other mailings. This book was supposed to be the last of the original "Managing the Wait" collection, and the first four books should have arrived before our cars did.

It would be kind of silly for those of us with cars to wait until the end of the mailings to get this journal, meant to record our early experiences and feelings about the car. There is a return card to provide the personal information and VIN# for the nameplate for the front of the book. It says you don't have to use your actual name, but can use nicknames, etc. So you can begin thinking about what you want to select. You are limited to two lines, 25 characters (including spaces and punctuations) on each line.

BTW - I also received the Thunderbird hat I ordered from Ford in November as well.

that sure changes things!
wonder if this will change the shipment dates for the 3rd shipping for everyone else that doesn't have their car yet? We could get them sooner than expected! maybe.....

Received call form my dealer tonight, he wanted to check on the car. He told me that Ford had called him to confirm my address. He thinks they are getting ready to mail something. I told him I had received the 1st two packages, both with a letter signed by him, but we all know that never happened. So the 3rd mailing my be getting ready now or they mail you something after you get the car.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

I by chance happened to stop by my dealer yesterday during my lunch hour and they too had mentioned that Ford had just contacted them wanting to verify addresses. The Sales Manager did mention also that they were going to send us something but he had no idea what or if it was just part of the Thunderbird Collection.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Those who have received the 3rd (5th) mailing. What is your take on the picture in the back pocket? I say they took a picture of each color and just sent the applicable color to each customer. I have a picture of a black one rolling off the assembly line, but it doesn't seem to have the chrome bezel on the hood scoop. It would just have been too hard to take a picture of everyone's car as it was rolling off I'm sure.

NMJeff - That is definitely a generic canned picture. The cars are covered with the protective white plastic film when they actually come off the line. But it is a nice touch nonetheless.

Was at my dealer yesterday and the sales rep said that Ford had called him to check on my address as they are going to send out the second mailing of the Ford Collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back