Sqeeky and Creaky Conv. Top mechanism | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Sqeeky and Creaky Conv. Top mechanism

• Thread starter Thread starter josh33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Just got a 2004 TB and noticed a lot of sqeeking and creaking coming from the convertible top. Fully retracting the top into the well allowed me to spray silicone lubricant onto many of the joints of the convertible top. I raised the top and drove around. 80% of my problem was solved.

Here is my question. Can I access the rest of the top joints with the top up by going below the convertible well liner?

I noticed a few "snaps" at each side of the well bottom cover fabric and I wonder if this is where I can get at the rest of the mechanism so I can lubricate it. Any help/further advice appreciated.

Josh

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just got mine back from the dealer for the same problem. They replaced the rear window and it stopped.

2002 RedBird said:
I just got mine back from the dealer for the same problem. They replaced the rear window and it stopped.

What was the problem with the rear window? I cant imagine what noise it could be making...

I got the car new and it has always squeaked. However, there was never anything else I could complain about so I just put up with it. Maybe it had something to do with the gasket around the window. I just don't know.

2002 RedBird said:
I got the car new and it has always squeaked. However, there was never anything else I could complain about so I just put up with it. Maybe it had something to do with the gasket around the window. I just don't know.

I was thinking the rear window in the softtop and it seems like that is isolated by fabric and would have a hard time making noise - are you talking about the hardtop rear window? In any case if they fixed it, thats good.

Are you still in your 3yr warranty? Look under the hood at the top bolt holding in your 2002 headlights and make sure the plastic boss is not broken.

It was the window in the soft top that was replaced. The creaking/squeaking noises seemed to happen more with the hard top off. I noticed it mostly when I drove out the driveway and went over the curb to the street. Then, sometimes, it would just groan away to annoy me.

Thanks for the heads up on the headlights. I'll check that out right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back