2003 Locally made Top Boot

TwoTires

TwoTires

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I noticed that with the top down you don't want to park under a tree as all the tree foliage and pollen get in the top compart and folds of the soft top. So, when you bring the top up all this garbage falls into you passenger cabin. I went on the hunt for a top boot as the original didn't covey one. Wasn't impressed with what I found. I went to local upholstery person and he figured a novel way to make/install one. I've included some pictures of the finished product. It works great and he placed the snaps in the drainage gutter of the truck. The remainder of snaps were already installed by Ford Looks clean and fits perfect.
New Conv Top Boot2.jpgNew Conv Top Boot3.jpgNew Cov. Top Boot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I noticed that with the top down you don't want to park under a tree as all the tree foliage and pollen get in the top compart and folds of the soft top. So, when you bring the top up all this garbage falls into you passenger cabin. I went on the hunt for a top boot as the original didn't covey one. Wasn't impressed with what I found. I went to local upholstery person and he figured a novel way to make/install one. I've included some pictures of the finished product. It works great and he placed the snaps in the drainage gutter of the truck. The remainder of snaps were already installed by Ford Looks clean and fits perfect.
Did your local upholstry person make the cover from scratch, or modify an existing one? I have seen some on-line that look very much the same. Where are you located, and if you don't mind, what was the cost? I also need a cover, and am not about to pay upwards of $1,800 for one which i will only use for about 3 months of the year.
Cheers

I live in the Tucson area. And, this cover was made from scratch at a cost of $800. He lined the edges with a soft suede leather. If you need a more detailed picture, I have the cover in the trunk as the top it currently up. I could spread if out and take photo. So far, so good. I never liked the original boot covers as Ford supplied a similar model that fit my Mustang GT Conv, You can't fold those up like I can this one, and store in the trunk and NOT have it take up most of space.

I live in the Tucson area. And, this cover was made from scratch at a cost of $800. He lined the edges with a soft suede leather. If you need a more detailed picture, I have the cover in the trunk as the top it currently up. I could spread if out and take photo. So far, so good. I never liked the original boot covers as Ford supplied a similar model that fit my Mustang GT Conv, You can't fold those up like I can this one, and store in the trunk and NOT have it take up most of space.
Further info not necessary, Still too much money for the amount I would use a cover. Some cheaper similar covers on line that list for $199 but look a little tacky for my taste.
Regards and Thanks

The soft top boot cover on my 2004 Thunderbird has a velcro strap that is long enough to wrap around it so it can be stored in the boot cover storage area in the trunk.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Cover.jpg

You used to be able to get a light, breathable cockpit cover, but I don't think they are very available at this point:
It went over the windshield attached at the trunk gap and door handles and wiper blades over the "top down" cockpit.

I have the cockpit cover you are describing on my 1955 Thunderbird. I purchased it from CASCO.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Cover.jpg

100_6938.JPG

Attached is the aftermarket boot that I got with my 03. I've since bought the factory version and was lucky to find it at Ford Dealer for $650.00! Is there any value in the one pictured? Does anyone ever look for these?

Attachments

• Boot1.jpg
    Boot1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Boot2.jpg
    Boot2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 15
All I can say is that picture is worth a thousand words. The craftsman that did my boot fitted it very smoothly, flat, clean, perfect fit. Not everybody is going to have the same luck I did as this isn't machine made. Every shop is different. I went to the gentleman who has the best reputation in town. It was worth it in my estimation.

Attachments

• New Conv Top Boot (2)_edited.jpg
    New Conv Top Boot (2)_edited.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
That looks pretty good. Black goes well with red. Pne came with my 04 PCR and black does not go well with Montery Mist Green. Plus I did not care for the ends or wings being tucked into the trunk joint. I call it the bat wing boot. So I made my own using a pattern I made and had a sail maker stitch it up. Not perfect but the color matches the interior much better and fit is ok.

View attachment 27701View attachment 27702View attachment 27703
The boot looks great. I have been trying to locate someone in my area to make one for me all year. One location said they were backed up for months but to keep calling and maybe a time would free up. No luck yet, but I guess I will keep trying because with that backlog of business, they must be good.

The boot looks great. I have been trying to locate someone in my area to make one for me all year. One location said they were backed up for months but to keep calling and maybe a time would free up. No luck yet, but I guess I will keep trying because with that backlog of business, they must be good.
If you are interested, I can supply you with a shop that can make you a custom boot in any Sunbrella color you choose. I had him make a blue boot for me for my 05 Medium Steel Blue. Very good workmanship and easy to work with also.

If you are interested, I can supply you with a shop that can make you a custom boot in any Sunbrella color you choose. I had him make a blue boot for me for my 05 Medium Steel Blue. Very good workmanship and easy to work with also.
Hi PaBluBird -
Just acquired a 2003 and would be interested in learning more on your Sunbrella boot. Any details you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone made or seen a template or a pattern of this boot? I have a local shop that is willing to make one, but he'd need something to follow. Thanks....

Back