Spare Tire | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Spare Tire

• Thread starter Thread starter Brad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently had the displeasure of having to put the spare on my car. Does anyone know of a way to fit a full size tire into the trunk and still be able to close the trunk?

I ended up having to deflate the full size tire in order to get the trunk closed. When I hit a bump it fell down into the spare tire hold area.

If you ever put the spare on, be very carefull to make sure the wheel is fully mounted...It's very tricky to get the wheel fully onto the studs. If you're every desperately bored, I'd recomend you try changing a tire at home in your garage so that you know what you're in for on the road....Yes I know about the motor club, and Ford roadside assistance, etc, but you never know when you may need to do it yourself.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's funny you mention that. I finally got my center caps that were missing since the car was new. I realized how tightly they fit and wondered how hard it would be to get them off without really gouging up the wheel in the event of a tire change. Well I did a dry run and you're right, it's a pain, even in the driveway with no pressure! Despite my best and most careful efforts, the iron left a small mark on the wheel. I tried another wheel with a something I fashioned from a nylon motorcycle tire tool. No luck, the nylon was too pliable to pop the cap loose. Bottom Line: BE CAREFUL you don't want to ding up $400 a piece wheels when you're stressed out on the roadside! One other thing, there's a note on the trunk card that states: "jack cannot be properly stowed with a full size wheel and tire in trunk." There goes my idea about getting a full size spare! 😛

.....you know.....I've never thought about changing a tire!....and the issue of where to put flat full size.....I do know about the susceptability of the rims....I recently had my first oil change and tire rotation done at the selling dealer....as a result, each rim is now marked where the centre cap was pried off...needless to say, I took issue....Quite suprised to find out...Ford does not supply a tool for this purpose and that the Tech is supposed to cover the end of a screwdriver with a shop rag....You would think, with the number centre caps on all manner of vehicles!.....The Dealer agreed to have them repaired, but I don't have the confidence of a good job being done.....Another heads up..... the hoist wasn't lined up so it broke the body part that the jacking point, drivers side front, is part of....they have ordered the part....speaking of parts.....has anyone had their windsheild replaced?.... Cheers! Martin. 😕

🙁
I have a full sized spare mounted and inflated in my 2003. with original factory wheel. After I purchased both I found out it was a very very tight fit.
By moving and some ##$$$ words I finally got tire , jack and tools in spare spot. ONLY to find the trunk cover would not fit all the way down on floor board. I have lost about an inch or 2 of space and the tire cove does not fit flat, BUT I have a full size spare.
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back