2003 Spare Tire Replace w/ Full Size

J

Jimmie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to replace the original spare tire with a full size tire - if you have done this please tell me what size tire fits the well and did you mount it on the original rim?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I want to replace the original spare tire with a full size tire - if you have done this please tell me what size tire fits the well and did you mount it on the original rim?
Thanks
I have a P205/55/17 Falken Sincera mounted on my original spare tire rim. It fits in the well and the trunk floor sits down perfectly.

Thanks
When I replaced my tires, Discount Tires found my spare deflated & 20 yrs old. They recommended this tire and new wheel that could be used at any speed & distance. Fit in well is good. Sentury 205/50 ZR17. Find a Discount Tire , I'm sure they can duplicate this low cost improvement.

My OEM spare tire was made in 2002 and is now covered in yellowish powder. I think the rubber is disintegrating from age. Maxxis, the OEM manufacturer doesn't list the size T185/60R17 as available. Tirerack.com expects them to be in stock in late May, priced at $165. Based on stevejoliet2003 recommendation I just bought this Forceum HEXA-R tire on Amazon, size 205/50R17 93WR for $71. In case you're wondering, it's made in Indonesia. Will let you know how it fits on the OEM spare rim and inside the spare well in the trunk.
IMG_8456.jpeg

Maxxis, the OEM manufacturer doesn't list the size T185/60R17 as available
If you read the Maxxis thread that is hyperlinked you would see that you can order it from Maxxis Canada and ship to the USA or wait until US is restocked .

This may not be a popular take, but I have thought about removing the the spare altogether. I don't think I've had a flat on a vehicle in 40 years and I rarely ever see a car along the road fixing a flat and when you do, it usually looks like a vehicle where upkeep was not a priority (or maybe someone barely getting by). I have had numerous flats on trailers especially when there was no US made ones available. The advantage here is a little more room in the already tiny trunk and a bit of a weight savings. This idea got legs when I removed the hard top and could tell a seat of the pants difference in acceleration. Maybe a can of fix-a-flat and a AAA membership is adequate here.

This may not be a popular take, but I have thought about removing the the spare altogether. This idea got legs when I removed the hard top and could tell a seat of the pants difference in acceleration.
The compact spare tire is a negligible difference. You could have a 1/4 of a tank of gas instead of full and make the same claim. I think you are experiencing a placebo effect. That would be like thinking I can feel a difference in my Mustang off the line when I don't have a passenger, when there is no noticeable difference.

I love a spare, after having a flat in Memphis Missouri. My new Mercedes manual claimed that the tire to be a no flat (50 miles limit). We were stuck 4 days in a Motel, waiting for a $600 replacement.

Back