Possible purchase, advice requested | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Possible purchase, advice requested

• Thread starter Thread starter KCsBird
  • Start date Start date
KCsBird

KCsBird

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
none
Hello, and thanks for any input you folks may have on a possible purchase. The subject is a 2002 Premium with hardtop and around 66000 miles. Dealer is not a Ford dealer. I asked for history on the car and they tell me of a few minor items and only one major (cooling fan and pump). Internet reports many complaints re: valve covers, coils and spark plugs, none of which appear on this cars history. So the question is really, how common is this problem in your experience (or of those you are familiar with) and, in your opinion, should it stand in the way of buying this car? I do not know a reputable mechanic to check this out, can only go by service department of a sister dealership which sells Lincoln. Thanks again for your time and advice.
Barry

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello, and thanks for any input you folks may have on a possible purchase. The subject is a 2002 Premium with hardtop and around 66000 miles. Dealer is not a Ford dealer. I asked for history on the car and they tell me of a few minor items and only one major (cooling fan and pump). Internet reports many complaints re: valve covers, coils and spark plugs, none of which appear on this cars history. So the question is really, how common is this problem in your experience (or of those you are familiar with) and, in your opinion, should it stand in the way of buying this car? I do not know a reputable mechanic to check this out, can only go by service department of a sister dealership which sells Lincoln. Thanks again for your time and advice.
Barry
Hi Barry, I see no responses so I'll give you my 2 cents worth. As I said to another new buyer, check the member list or request on this forum for those who live nearby and info on who they use for maintenance.
Are you mechanically inclined, have tools, and are willing to tackle the issues that may arise. If so, get the maintenance manual and wiring diagram off eBay or Amazon or from somebody on this forum and buy the car. Take a good look at all the areas of the car, engine, trunk, spare tire/battery area. Wear old jeans and crawl around it with a flashlight an see what you can of the underside. Look for unusual wear in the interior, be picky.
Drive the car spirited, using the gears. Don't be bashful with the accelerator or the brakes. Go to speed , 55 to 85 to see what the front end feels like. Don't need to stay there for long.
Nothing is cheap to have fixed on this car and Don't take it to Ford if you buy it. Find a good local shop and compare their parts prices to those on RockAuto.com or Amazon or EBay. I use the all.
Good luck, cheers, Frank

Hi Barry, I see no responses so I'll give you my 2 cents worth. As I said to another new buyer, check the member list or request on this forum for those who live nearby and info on who they use for maintenance.
Are you mechanically inclined, have tools, and are willing to tackle the issues that may arise. If so, get the maintenance manual and wiring diagram off eBay or Amazon or from somebody on this forum and buy the car. Take a good look at all the areas of the car, engine, trunk, spare tire/battery area. Wear old jeans and crawl around it with a flashlight an see what you can of the underside. Look for unusual wear in the interior, be picky.
Drive the car spirited, using the gears. Don't be bashful with the accelerator or the brakes. Go to speed , 55 to 85 to see what the front end feels like. Don't need to stay there for long.
Nothing is cheap to have fixed on this car and Don't take it to Ford if you buy it. Find a good local shop and compare their parts prices to those on RockAuto.com or Amazon or EBay. I use the all.
Good luck, cheers, Frank
Thanks for the reply Frank, much appreciated. We are picking the car up tomorrow, and pleased that the dealer (Lincoln) has gone over the car pretty well and replaced rear brakes, four wheel alignment and a few other minor items. No sign of valve cover leakage so we are good to go at this point. Will certainly take your advice on repairs/parts! Would like to hook up with anyone from SW Florida who has insight on local suppliers.
Best regards,
Barry

Thanks for the reply Frank, Would like to hook up with anyone from SW Florida who has insight on local suppliers.
Best regards,
Barry

You're welcome Barry. My car came from just south of Tampa. Flew over there and drove it back to Arizona. Great traveling car and it got a best of 30 mpg at 4 mph over the limit on cruise control.
Good luck. Cheers, Frank

Back